[ksurf] Re: Locations in SE England?

  • Cygnus
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 1, 1999
      Hi Marc,
      One of the best places to see K-surfing in the Uk at the moment has
      to be Hunstanton, on the east coast. There's probably nearly 10 guys there
      every weekend, when the winds right that is, but I don't know about the SE
      coast.
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 1, 1999
        Marc,

        Winchelsea beach/Pett Level (btw. Hastings and Rye) is pretty good at low
        tide: Plenty of space on the beach, water quality ok, hardly anyone around
        (even in the summer), quite a bit of friendly beach either side so fairly
        safe in most common wind directions if you can't stay upwind as a beginner
        and very little shore break (all changes at high tide though).
        Unfortunately haven't had a chance to get back down there since September,
        but there weren't very many people kitesurfing there in the summer (two on a
        regular basis, me being one of them). However, the number of people buying
        kites was growing pretty quickly. Darron Coppin may be able to help you out
        with some kit and show you the basics (kukanii@...) if he's no too
        bogged down with work.

        Bexhill beach is ok but only really for 1 or two hours either side of low
        tide, particularly as a beginner (too many groins at higher tides). Need to
        watch out for rocks though (they're fairly obvious at low tide but it's
        usually better not to come in too close to shore once you're up and going -
        lost a fin there in the summer). Cooden beach is a bit better than the town
        centre for launching in SW winds (not quite so many rocks - but not
        completely rock free either). Sailing club is ok for launching in E-NE winds
        as long as it's not too crowded. (This is all assuming that you won't be
        staying upwind for the first few sessions). A couple of guys started
        kitesurfing in Bexhill at the end of the summer.

        Other possibilities that I'm not so familiar with: Camber sands (near Rye),
        Whistable.

        All the best,

        Karl

      • CKFLYER@aol.com
        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 1, 1999
          HELLO MARC:

          If you plan a Florida , USA vacation this winter come to our kitesurf school
          in Ft Lauderdale. Warm & pleaseant! Heres our website: <A
          HREF="WWW.KITESURFUSA.COM">WWW.KitesurfUSA.com</A>

          Chris K.