[ksurf] How Much is involced ??

  • Eric Castelein
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 29, 1999
      As a aspiring Kitesurfer, I am willing to sell my catamaran and a
      second car in order to get into this young sport.
      The question remains is how much is needed for the first year and
      thereafter.
      Is the demand so high that prices are too high; do you need 2 or3 or
      more kites ????
      And how many boards is one person using ??
      What is the life expectancy os the kite and the board,
      or is the whole deal a hot potato with no good aftertaste and you are
      bored after a few months ??

      what is your opinion ??

      Eric
    • neptune@mail.imag.net
      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 29, 1999
        At 12:48 PM 11/29/99 -0800, you wrote:
        >As a aspiring Kitesurfer, I am willing to sell my catamaran and a
        >second car in order to get into this young sport.
        >The question remains is how much is needed for the first year and
        >thereafter.
        >Is the demand so high that prices are too high;

        -Prices are reasonable for the technology that you are getting, however, I
        would like to see the water relaunchable foils comes down in price.

        and w do you need 2 or3 or
        >more kites ????

        -I'd say 3 kites, Low wind / Mid Range / High wind & 1 set of flying lines

        >And how many boards is one person using ??

        -ONE

        >What is the life expectancy os the kite and the board,

        -Nylon and Icarex do last as long as you take care of your toys.
        Fading of colour does come about, its not a big deal.

        >or is the whole deal a hot potato with no good aftertaste and you are
        >bored after a few months ??

        -This sport is so new, that there is much to be covered, and as for tricks,
        its up to your imagination and limits. Endless

        >what is your opinion ??
        >
        >Eric

        >-- http://www.egroups.com/cal?listname=kitesurf&m=1

        Richard L.
      • Ian Young
        Message 3 of 7 , Nov 30, 1999
          > And how many boards is one person using ??

          I sometimes use a 1.75m board for high winds/ freestyle but mainly use my 2.1m
          even in high winds and freestyle - the short board is no good in light winds.
          I'm 82kg. I think your kite flying ability has much more impact than the type
          of board or kite.

          > What is the life expectancy os the kite and the board

          I still have gear that is more than two years old (kites and boards), despite a
          few repairs still goes good and I still use it.

          > or is the whole deal a hot potato with no good aftertaste and you are
          > bored after a few months ??

          After two years I still get an adrenalin rush every time I go out! I can't see
          how anyone could possible get bored with kite surfing!!!!!

          Cheers,
          Ian Young

          WinDesigns Australia - Australia's First Kite Ski&Surf School
          9 Oliver St, Scarborough, WA, AUSTRALIA, 6019
          Phone: +61 8 9245 4603
          Fax: +61 8 9245 4657
          Mobile: 0414 716 812
          Email: IanYoung@...
          Webpage: http://www.iinet.net.au/~ianyoung/
        • Lachlan Beed
          Message 4 of 7 , Dec 1, 1999
            Hi everyone

            I agree with Ian That kite flying ability will be the the thing that
            really counts.I am sailing upwind with virtual logs . I tried a board
            today that is a specifically designed kiteboard with fins a long way up
            the board which worked well and gave good grip but I must say that an
            old pintail that I picked up from the tip for free was not much worse.
            One thing that we do here and that I would suggest to any one is that
            if you cant afford a quiver of kites is to select one that will suit
            your weight for your prevailing conditions .I f the wind is too light
            for ksurfing grab a skateboard and head down to your local netball
            courts or deserted 6 lane free way for some great practice .As with
            flying any aircraft fly as often as you can.
            If you live in an area that has snow keep going thru winter with skis
            or snowboards .Its awesome and you"ll save on lift tickets(Stay away
            from resort
            lease areas its tempting to give em a show but they'll probably tell
            you to bugger off to somewhere else).

            All the best

            Lach (The Lach Dude)

            ian young <ianyoun-@...> wrote:
            original article:http://www.egroups.com/group/kitesurf/?start=7496
            > > And how many boards is one person using ??
            >
            > I sometimes use a 1.75m board for high winds/ freestyle but mainly
            use my 2.1m
            > even in high winds and freestyle - the short board is no good in
            light winds.
            > I'm 82kg. I think your kite flying ability has much more impact than
            the type
            > of board or kite.
            >
            > > What is the life expectancy os the kite and the board
            >
            > I still have gear that is more than two years old (kites and boards),
            despite a
            > few repairs still goes good and I still use it.
            >
            > > or is the whole deal a hot potato with no good aftertaste and you
            are
            > > bored after a few months ??
            >
            > After two years I still get an adrenalin rush every time I go out! I
            can't see
            > how anyone could possible get bored with kite surfing!!!!!
            >
            > Cheers,
            > Ian Young
            >
            > WinDesigns Australia - Australia's First Kite Ski&Surf School
            > 9 Oliver St, Scarborough, WA, AUSTRALIA, 6019
            > Phone: +61 8 9245 4603
            > Fax: +61 8 9245 4657
            > Mobile: 0414 716 812
            > Email: IanYoung@...
            > Webpage: http://www.iinet.net.au/~ianyoung/

          • Steven Nenzel
            Message 5 of 7 , Dec 1, 1999
              ANCHORAGE ALASKA! Buddy, you forgot to add thermal under wear, three
              sweaters, a parka, snow boots, 3 pairs of socks and a pint of rum to keep
              the blood thin to your list of gear required.

              Message 6 of 7 , Dec 1, 1999
                I agree with neptune in almost all that was said...

                I do, however, believe that any money saved by not having a set of lines and
                handles for each kite (i am speaking now only about foils -2 0r 4 line - i
                don't know from inflatables) will be offset by the hassles encountered at
                water's edge as conditions change.

                I have a set of lines attached to each of my 4-quad line power kites. Land
                the kite, hold the handles, and wind the line right up to the kite. Wrap the
                kite around the handles, put it in a bag...done...
                To launch, lay out the kite, unwind the lines, check for twists - few if you
                did it right - launch the kite...done...

                Changing lines is a pain in the a#%. There are times to change lines,
                shorter lines for tighter spaces and differing conditions. Todd Synder, oft
                most eloquently represented here on the egroup, prefers longer lines for
                jumping. So you'll end up changing lines enough without trying to save a few
                pennies by not having lines available for each kite.

                As for number of kites needed, plan on at least two to start -- base the size
                on the prevailing conditions where you intend to surf. Buy a third as soon
                as you need it. And as you improve fill in the gaps. I bought big kites
                first, because they cost more...$2500usd got me two kites and a custom
                directional board...wife said ok...now additional kites cost in the 'few
                hundreds' as opposed to the 'almost a thousands' range. Much easier to pass
                on the family budget...

                Now, of course, you still need a bunch of other stuff...harness, wet suit,
                PFD, boots, and many other little things that vary for person to person...

                I don't see how this sport and all the possible variations (snow, ice, sand,
                etc) could get boring, I only wish I could afford to follow the eternal
                summer...

                Now, as I sit in my hotel in Anchorage, Alaska (18 degrees F) listening to
                the 15 knt wind outside my window, I am pining for a snowboard...I'll let you
                know what happens...

                Sean
              • Stan Schiller
                Message 7 of 7 , Dec 1, 1999
                  Eric Castelein wrote:

                  > As a aspiring Kitesurfer, I am willing to sell my catamaran and a
                  > second car in order to get into this young sport.
                  > The question remains is how much is needed for the first year and
                  > thereafter.
                  > Is the demand so high that prices are too high; do you need 2 or3 or
                  > more kites ????
                  > And how many boards is one person using ??
                  > What is the life expectancy os the kite and the board,
                  > or is the whole deal a hot potato with no good aftertaste and you are
                  > bored after a few months ??
                  >
                  > what is your opinion ??
                  >
                  > Eric
                  >
                  > ITS FRICKIN AWESOME AND I GUESS IT DEPENDS WHERE YOU LIVE, NO IT DOES NOT GET BORING, IT GETS BETTER AND BETTER, ASK THE PROS.....
                  You can pick up a nice used kite for 500 and a new board for 500, keep
                  watching this e-group for equipment, go to the beach and get a lesson
                  and download the manual from HUNG,.. Kitesurf.com
                  WATCH ALL OF KEN WINNERS POSTINGS AND GET HIS VIDEO ASAP.