Re: [ksurf] What's the dream kite for my computer to fly... to generate power

  • roderickjosephread
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 1, 2012
      My back has totally improved with physio and I'm back on the water by the way.
      Going for an R&D and feasibility study grant on this.
      Anyone want to join in with the techy fun?

      --- In kitesurf@yahoogroups.com, Javier Morell Coll <javier.morellc@...> wrote:

      > http://www.physorg.com/news137388314.html
      >
      > On Fri, Apr 29, 2011 at 22:27, roderickjosephread <rod.read@...>wrote:
      >
      > > **
      > >

      > > I've kinda screwed my back. So now I'm not kite surfing, I want to use a
      > > computer controlled kite (stack?) to generate electricity.
      > > I know ... odd
      > > But we all know there's tonnes of power there.So I came up with a few
      > > design concepts. And a tide one or two as well.
      > >
      > > https://www.facebook.com/media/set/fbx/?set=a.1746867586603.2087694.1086\
      > > 194053&l=2b02bdd6b0<https://www.facebook.com/media/set/fbx/?set=a.1746867586603.2087694.1086194053&l=2b02bdd6b0>
      > > <https://www.facebook.com/media/set/fbx/?set=a.1746867586603.2087694.108\
      > > 6194053&l=2b02bdd6b0<https://www.facebook.com/media/set/fbx/?set=a.1746867586603.2087694.1086194053&l=2b02bdd6b0>
      > > >
      > > And I'm sharing the ideas and project online.
      > > So I'm looking at the moment from this group for ...what kind of kite
      > > will be able to
      > > 1. Have microcontrollers, solar panels, accelerometers, wifi and
      > > coded laser reflectors sewn onto the corners.
      > > 2. Be stable enough that a computer could fly it after a bit of
      > > training... (This is total guess work, I wont know my computer reaction
      > > times , winding speed and power parameters until a kite is specced.)
      > > Fairly thick and highish aspect am I right?
      > > 3. Be really powerfull
      > > My guess is that I am going to have to start fairly standard. In order
      > > to keep prices down as I'm starting up... but also just to go about
      > > prooving the concepts in the first place..It's being done already in
      > > Italy I believe

    • Christian
      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 2, 2012
        This is why I live in Cambridge! The combination of elite engineering geekdom and outdoor activity.

        I have experience with DARPA grants. Would be happy to jump in.

        My new company is www.cforta.org.

        Christian

        --- In kitesurf@yahoogroups.com, "roderickjosephread" <rod.read@...> wrote:

        > My back has totally improved with physio and I'm back on the water by the way.
        > Going for an R&D and feasibility study grant on this.
        > Anyone want to join in with the techy fun?
        >
        > --- In kitesurf@yahoogroups.com, Javier Morell Coll <javier.morellc@> wrote:
        > >
        > > http://www.physorg.com/news137388314.html
        > >
        > > On Fri, Apr 29, 2011 at 22:27, roderickjosephread <rod.read@>wrote:
        > >
        > > > **
        > > >

        > > > I've kinda screwed my back. So now I'm not kite surfing, I want to use a
        > > > computer controlled kite (stack?) to generate electricity.
        > > > I know ... odd
        > > > But we all know there's tonnes of power there.So I came up with a few
        > > > design concepts. And a tide one or two as well.
        > > >
        > > > https://www.facebook.com/media/set/fbx/?set=a.1746867586603.2087694.1086\
        > > > 194053&l=2b02bdd6b0<https://www.facebook.com/media/set/fbx/?set=a.1746867586603.2087694.1086194053&l=2b02bdd6b0>
        > > > <https://www.facebook.com/media/set/fbx/?set=a.1746867586603.2087694.108\
        > > > 6194053&l=2b02bdd6b0<https://www.facebook.com/media/set/fbx/?set=a.1746867586603.2087694.1086194053&l=2b02bdd6b0>
        > > > >
        > > > And I'm sharing the ideas and project online.
        > > > So I'm looking at the moment from this group for ...what kind of kite
        > > > will be able to
        > > > 1. Have microcontrollers, solar panels, accelerometers, wifi and
        > > > coded laser reflectors sewn onto the corners.
        > > > 2. Be stable enough that a computer could fly it after a bit of
        > > > training... (This is total guess work, I wont know my computer reaction
        > > > times , winding speed and power parameters until a kite is specced.)
        > > > Fairly thick and highish aspect am I right?
        > > > 3. Be really powerfull
        > > > My guess is that I am going to have to start fairly standard. In order
        > > > to keep prices down as I'm starting up... but also just to go about
        > > > prooving the concepts in the first place..It's being done already in
        > > > Italy I believe

      • roderickjosephread
        Message 3 of 8 , Jun 4, 2012
          Gosh,It's come on a long way since then thanks Christian.see
          http://pleasefund.us/projects/daisy-kite-power-generator
          <http://pleasefund.us/projects/daisy-kite-power-generator> Who would you
          pair my project with? I am considering a SMART feasibility and R&D grant
          from Scottish Enterprise, for a Community Interest Company.Still up for
          jumping in ? I'm just about to incorporate.