Re: [ksurf] Re: What's the dream kite for my computer to fly... to generate power

  • Michael Olsen
    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 14, 2012
      I have thought about testing a similar design but with tapered vent sizes along each outer foil for maximum ram air inflation pressure as the spinning speed increases. Nice work on actually creating a prototype!

      On Feb 14, 2012, at 11:47 AM, "roderickjosephread" <rod.read@...> wrote:

      > The FAA have only just finished their first consultation process in order to develop their new AWE (Airborne Wind Energy) class.
      >
      > I used some small beginner kites for my proof of concept
      > http://sites.google.com/site/kitepowerresearch/home

    • roderickjosephread
      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 1, 2012
        My back has totally improved with physio and I'm back on the water by the way.
        Going for an R&D and feasibility study grant on this.
        Anyone want to join in with the techy fun?

        --- In kitesurf@yahoogroups.com, Javier Morell Coll <javier.morellc@...> wrote:

        > http://www.physorg.com/news137388314.html
        >
        > On Fri, Apr 29, 2011 at 22:27, roderickjosephread <rod.read@...>wrote:
        >
        > > **
        > >

        > > I've kinda screwed my back. So now I'm not kite surfing, I want to use a
        > > computer controlled kite (stack?) to generate electricity.
        > > I know ... odd
        > > But we all know there's tonnes of power there.So I came up with a few
        > > design concepts. And a tide one or two as well.
        > >
        > > https://www.facebook.com/media/set/fbx/?set=a.1746867586603.2087694.1086\
        > > 194053&l=2b02bdd6b0<https://www.facebook.com/media/set/fbx/?set=a.1746867586603.2087694.1086194053&l=2b02bdd6b0>
        > > <https://www.facebook.com/media/set/fbx/?set=a.1746867586603.2087694.108\
        > > 6194053&l=2b02bdd6b0<https://www.facebook.com/media/set/fbx/?set=a.1746867586603.2087694.1086194053&l=2b02bdd6b0>
        > > >
        > > And I'm sharing the ideas and project online.
        > > So I'm looking at the moment from this group for ...what kind of kite
        > > will be able to
        > > 1. Have microcontrollers, solar panels, accelerometers, wifi and
        > > coded laser reflectors sewn onto the corners.
        > > 2. Be stable enough that a computer could fly it after a bit of
        > > training... (This is total guess work, I wont know my computer reaction
        > > times , winding speed and power parameters until a kite is specced.)
        > > Fairly thick and highish aspect am I right?
        > > 3. Be really powerfull
        > > My guess is that I am going to have to start fairly standard. In order
        > > to keep prices down as I'm starting up... but also just to go about
        > > prooving the concepts in the first place..It's being done already in
        > > Italy I believe

      • Christian
        Message 3 of 8 , Jun 2, 2012
          This is why I live in Cambridge! The combination of elite engineering geekdom and outdoor activity.

          I have experience with DARPA grants. Would be happy to jump in.

          My new company is www.cforta.org.

          Christian

          --- In kitesurf@yahoogroups.com, "roderickjosephread" <rod.read@...> wrote:

          > My back has totally improved with physio and I'm back on the water by the way.
          > Going for an R&D and feasibility study grant on this.
          > Anyone want to join in with the techy fun?
          >
          > --- In kitesurf@yahoogroups.com, Javier Morell Coll <javier.morellc@> wrote:
          > >
          > > http://www.physorg.com/news137388314.html
          > >
          > > On Fri, Apr 29, 2011 at 22:27, roderickjosephread <rod.read@>wrote:
          > >
          > > > **
          > > >

          > > > I've kinda screwed my back. So now I'm not kite surfing, I want to use a
          > > > computer controlled kite (stack?) to generate electricity.
          > > > I know ... odd
          > > > But we all know there's tonnes of power there.So I came up with a few
          > > > design concepts. And a tide one or two as well.
          > > >
          > > > https://www.facebook.com/media/set/fbx/?set=a.1746867586603.2087694.1086\
          > > > 194053&l=2b02bdd6b0<https://www.facebook.com/media/set/fbx/?set=a.1746867586603.2087694.1086194053&l=2b02bdd6b0>
          > > > <https://www.facebook.com/media/set/fbx/?set=a.1746867586603.2087694.108\
          > > > 6194053&l=2b02bdd6b0<https://www.facebook.com/media/set/fbx/?set=a.1746867586603.2087694.1086194053&l=2b02bdd6b0>
          > > > >
          > > > And I'm sharing the ideas and project online.
          > > > So I'm looking at the moment from this group for ...what kind of kite
          > > > will be able to
          > > > 1. Have microcontrollers, solar panels, accelerometers, wifi and
          > > > coded laser reflectors sewn onto the corners.
          > > > 2. Be stable enough that a computer could fly it after a bit of
          > > > training... (This is total guess work, I wont know my computer reaction
          > > > times , winding speed and power parameters until a kite is specced.)
          > > > Fairly thick and highish aspect am I right?
          > > > 3. Be really powerfull
          > > > My guess is that I am going to have to start fairly standard. In order
          > > > to keep prices down as I'm starting up... but also just to go about
          > > > prooving the concepts in the first place..It's being done already in
          > > > Italy I believe

        • roderickjosephread
          Message 4 of 8 , Jun 4, 2012
            Gosh,It's come on a long way since then thanks Christian.see
            http://pleasefund.us/projects/daisy-kite-power-generator
            <http://pleasefund.us/projects/daisy-kite-power-generator> Who would you
            pair my project with? I am considering a SMART feasibility and R&D grant
            from Scottish Enterprise, for a Community Interest Company.Still up for
            jumping in ? I'm just about to incorporate.