Re: What's the dream kite for my computer to fly... to generate power

  • roderickjosephread
    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 14, 2012
      The FAA have only just finished their first consultation process in order to develop their new AWE (Airborne Wind Energy) class.

      I used some small beginner kites for my proof of concept
      http://sites.google.com/site/kitepowerresearch/home
    • Michael Olsen
      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 14, 2012
        I have thought about testing a similar design but with tapered vent sizes along each outer foil for maximum ram air inflation pressure as the spinning speed increases. Nice work on actually creating a prototype!

        Message 3 of 8 , Jun 1, 2012
          My back has totally improved with physio and I'm back on the water by the way.
          Going for an R&D and feasibility study grant on this.
          Anyone want to join in with the techy fun?

          --- In kitesurf@yahoogroups.com, Javier Morell Coll <javier.morellc@...> wrote:

          > http://www.physorg.com/news137388314.html
          >
          > On Fri, Apr 29, 2011 at 22:27, roderickjosephread <rod.read@...>wrote:
          >
          > > **
          > >

          > > I've kinda screwed my back. So now I'm not kite surfing, I want to use a
          > > computer controlled kite (stack?) to generate electricity.
          > > I know ... odd
          > > But we all know there's tonnes of power there.So I came up with a few
          > > design concepts. And a tide one or two as well.
          > >
          > > https://www.facebook.com/media/set/fbx/?set=a.1746867586603.2087694.1086\
          > > 194053&l=2b02bdd6b0<https://www.facebook.com/media/set/fbx/?set=a.1746867586603.2087694.1086194053&l=2b02bdd6b0>
          > > <https://www.facebook.com/media/set/fbx/?set=a.1746867586603.2087694.108\
          > > 6194053&l=2b02bdd6b0<https://www.facebook.com/media/set/fbx/?set=a.1746867586603.2087694.1086194053&l=2b02bdd6b0>
          > > >
          > > And I'm sharing the ideas and project online.
          > > So I'm looking at the moment from this group for ...what kind of kite
          > > will be able to
          > > 1. Have microcontrollers, solar panels, accelerometers, wifi and
          > > coded laser reflectors sewn onto the corners.
          > > 2. Be stable enough that a computer could fly it after a bit of
          > > training... (This is total guess work, I wont know my computer reaction
          > > times , winding speed and power parameters until a kite is specced.)
          > > Fairly thick and highish aspect am I right?
          > > 3. Be really powerfull
          > > My guess is that I am going to have to start fairly standard. In order
          > > to keep prices down as I'm starting up... but also just to go about
          > > prooving the concepts in the first place..It's being done already in
          > > Italy I believe

        • Christian
          Message 4 of 8 , Jun 2, 2012
            This is why I live in Cambridge! The combination of elite engineering geekdom and outdoor activity.

            I have experience with DARPA grants. Would be happy to jump in.

            My new company is www.cforta.org.

            Christian

            --- In kitesurf@yahoogroups.com, "roderickjosephread" <rod.read@...> wrote:

            > My back has totally improved with physio and I'm back on the water by the way.
            > Going for an R&D and feasibility study grant on this.
            > Anyone want to join in with the techy fun?
            >
            > --- In kitesurf@yahoogroups.com, Javier Morell Coll <javier.morellc@> wrote:
            > >
            > > http://www.physorg.com/news137388314.html
            > >
            > > On Fri, Apr 29, 2011 at 22:27, roderickjosephread <rod.read@>wrote:
            > >
            > > > **
            > > >

            > > > I've kinda screwed my back. So now I'm not kite surfing, I want to use a
            > > > computer controlled kite (stack?) to generate electricity.
            > > > I know ... odd
            > > > But we all know there's tonnes of power there.So I came up with a few
            > > > design concepts. And a tide one or two as well.
            > > >
            > > > https://www.facebook.com/media/set/fbx/?set=a.1746867586603.2087694.1086\
            > > > 194053&l=2b02bdd6b0<https://www.facebook.com/media/set/fbx/?set=a.1746867586603.2087694.1086194053&l=2b02bdd6b0>
            > > > <https://www.facebook.com/media/set/fbx/?set=a.1746867586603.2087694.108\
            > > > 6194053&l=2b02bdd6b0<https://www.facebook.com/media/set/fbx/?set=a.1746867586603.2087694.1086194053&l=2b02bdd6b0>
            > > > >
            > > > And I'm sharing the ideas and project online.
            > > > So I'm looking at the moment from this group for ...what kind of kite
            > > > will be able to
            > > > 1. Have microcontrollers, solar panels, accelerometers, wifi and
            > > > coded laser reflectors sewn onto the corners.
            > > > 2. Be stable enough that a computer could fly it after a bit of
            > > > training... (This is total guess work, I wont know my computer reaction
            > > > times , winding speed and power parameters until a kite is specced.)
            > > > Fairly thick and highish aspect am I right?
            > > > 3. Be really powerfull
            > > > My guess is that I am going to have to start fairly standard. In order
            > > > to keep prices down as I'm starting up... but also just to go about
            > > > prooving the concepts in the first place..It's being done already in
            > > > Italy I believe

          • roderickjosephread
            Message 5 of 8 , Jun 4, 2012
              Gosh,It's come on a long way since then thanks Christian.see
              http://pleasefund.us/projects/daisy-kite-power-generator
              <http://pleasefund.us/projects/daisy-kite-power-generator> Who would you
              pair my project with? I am considering a SMART feasibility and R&D grant
              from Scottish Enterprise, for a Community Interest Company.Still up for
              jumping in ? I'm just about to incorporate.