Re: [ksurf] What's the dream kite for my computer to fly... to generate power

  • Javier Morell Coll
    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 12, 2012
      http://www.physorg.com/news137388314.html

      On Fri, Apr 29, 2011 at 22:27, roderickjosephread <rod.read@...>wrote:

      > **
      >

      > I've kinda screwed my back. So now I'm not kite surfing, I want to use a
      > computer controlled kite (stack?) to generate electricity.
      > I know ... odd
      > But we all know there's tonnes of power there.So I came up with a few
      > design concepts. And a tide one or two as well.
      >
      > https://www.facebook.com/media/set/fbx/?set=a.1746867586603.2087694.1086\
      > 194053&l=2b02bdd6b0<https://www.facebook.com/media/set/fbx/?set=a.1746867586603.2087694.1086194053&l=2b02bdd6b0>
      > <https://www.facebook.com/media/set/fbx/?set=a.1746867586603.2087694.108\
      > 6194053&l=2b02bdd6b0<https://www.facebook.com/media/set/fbx/?set=a.1746867586603.2087694.1086194053&l=2b02bdd6b0>
      > >
      > And I'm sharing the ideas and project online.
      > So I'm looking at the moment from this group for ...what kind of kite
      > will be able to
      > 1. Have microcontrollers, solar panels, accelerometers, wifi and
      > coded laser reflectors sewn onto the corners.
      > 2. Be stable enough that a computer could fly it after a bit of
      > training... (This is total guess work, I wont know my computer reaction
      > times , winding speed and power parameters until a kite is specced.)
      > Fairly thick and highish aspect am I right?
      > 3. Be really powerfull
      > My guess is that I am going to have to start fairly standard. In order
      > to keep prices down as I'm starting up... but also just to go about
      > prooving the concepts in the first place..It's being done already in
      > Italy I believe

    • roderickjosephread
      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 14, 2012
        The FAA have only just finished their first consultation process in order to develop their new AWE (Airborne Wind Energy) class.

        I used some small beginner kites for my proof of concept
        http://sites.google.com/site/kitepowerresearch/home
      • Michael Olsen
        Message 3 of 8 , Feb 14, 2012
          I have thought about testing a similar design but with tapered vent sizes along each outer foil for maximum ram air inflation pressure as the spinning speed increases. Nice work on actually creating a prototype!

          Message 4 of 8 , Jun 1, 2012
            My back has totally improved with physio and I'm back on the water by the way.
            Going for an R&D and feasibility study grant on this.
            Anyone want to join in with the techy fun?

            --- In kitesurf@yahoogroups.com, Javier Morell Coll <javier.morellc@...> wrote:

            > http://www.physorg.com/news137388314.html
            >
            > On Fri, Apr 29, 2011 at 22:27, roderickjosephread <rod.read@...>wrote:
            >
            > > **
            > >

            > > I've kinda screwed my back. So now I'm not kite surfing, I want to use a
            > > computer controlled kite (stack?) to generate electricity.
            > > I know ... odd
            > > But we all know there's tonnes of power there.So I came up with a few
            > > design concepts. And a tide one or two as well.
            > >
            > > https://www.facebook.com/media/set/fbx/?set=a.1746867586603.2087694.1086\
            > > 194053&l=2b02bdd6b0<https://www.facebook.com/media/set/fbx/?set=a.1746867586603.2087694.1086194053&l=2b02bdd6b0>
            > > <https://www.facebook.com/media/set/fbx/?set=a.1746867586603.2087694.108\
            > > 6194053&l=2b02bdd6b0<https://www.facebook.com/media/set/fbx/?set=a.1746867586603.2087694.1086194053&l=2b02bdd6b0>
            > > >
            > > And I'm sharing the ideas and project online.
            > > So I'm looking at the moment from this group for ...what kind of kite
            > > will be able to
            > > 1. Have microcontrollers, solar panels, accelerometers, wifi and
            > > coded laser reflectors sewn onto the corners.
            > > 2. Be stable enough that a computer could fly it after a bit of
            > > training... (This is total guess work, I wont know my computer reaction
            > > times , winding speed and power parameters until a kite is specced.)
            > > Fairly thick and highish aspect am I right?
            > > 3. Be really powerfull
            > > My guess is that I am going to have to start fairly standard. In order
            > > to keep prices down as I'm starting up... but also just to go about
            > > prooving the concepts in the first place..It's being done already in
            > > Italy I believe

          • Christian
            Message 5 of 8 , Jun 2, 2012
              This is why I live in Cambridge! The combination of elite engineering geekdom and outdoor activity.

              I have experience with DARPA grants. Would be happy to jump in.

              My new company is www.cforta.org.

              Christian

              --- In kitesurf@yahoogroups.com, "roderickjosephread" <rod.read@...> wrote:

              > My back has totally improved with physio and I'm back on the water by the way.
              > Going for an R&D and feasibility study grant on this.
              > Anyone want to join in with the techy fun?
              >
              > --- In kitesurf@yahoogroups.com, Javier Morell Coll <javier.morellc@> wrote:
              > >
              > > http://www.physorg.com/news137388314.html
              > >
              > > On Fri, Apr 29, 2011 at 22:27, roderickjosephread <rod.read@>wrote:
              > >
              > > > **
              > > >

              > > > I've kinda screwed my back. So now I'm not kite surfing, I want to use a
              > > > computer controlled kite (stack?) to generate electricity.
              > > > I know ... odd
              > > > But we all know there's tonnes of power there.So I came up with a few
              > > > design concepts. And a tide one or two as well.
              > > >
              > > > https://www.facebook.com/media/set/fbx/?set=a.1746867586603.2087694.1086\
              > > > 194053&l=2b02bdd6b0<https://www.facebook.com/media/set/fbx/?set=a.1746867586603.2087694.1086194053&l=2b02bdd6b0>
              > > > <https://www.facebook.com/media/set/fbx/?set=a.1746867586603.2087694.108\
              > > > 6194053&l=2b02bdd6b0<https://www.facebook.com/media/set/fbx/?set=a.1746867586603.2087694.1086194053&l=2b02bdd6b0>
              > > > >
              > > > And I'm sharing the ideas and project online.
              > > > So I'm looking at the moment from this group for ...what kind of kite
              > > > will be able to
              > > > 1. Have microcontrollers, solar panels, accelerometers, wifi and
              > > > coded laser reflectors sewn onto the corners.
              > > > 2. Be stable enough that a computer could fly it after a bit of
              > > > training... (This is total guess work, I wont know my computer reaction
              > > > times , winding speed and power parameters until a kite is specced.)
              > > > Fairly thick and highish aspect am I right?
              > > > 3. Be really powerfull
              > > > My guess is that I am going to have to start fairly standard. In order
              > > > to keep prices down as I'm starting up... but also just to go about
              > > > prooving the concepts in the first place..It's being done already in
              > > > Italy I believe

            • roderickjosephread
              Message 6 of 8 , Jun 4, 2012
                Gosh,It's come on a long way since then thanks Christian.see
                http://pleasefund.us/projects/daisy-kite-power-generator
                <http://pleasefund.us/projects/daisy-kite-power-generator> Who would you
                pair my project with? I am considering a SMART feasibility and R&D grant
                from Scottish Enterprise, for a Community Interest Company.Still up for
                jumping in ? I'm just about to incorporate.