What's the dream kite for my computer to fly... to generate power

  • roderickjosephread
    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 29, 2011
      I've kinda screwed my back. So now I'm not kite surfing, I want to use a
      computer controlled kite (stack?) to generate electricity.
      I know ... odd
      But we all know there's tonnes of power there.So I came up with a few
      design concepts. And a tide one or two as well.

      https://www.facebook.com/media/set/fbx/?set=a.1746867586603.2087694.1086\
      194053&l=2b02bdd6b0
      <https://www.facebook.com/media/set/fbx/?set=a.1746867586603.2087694.108\
      6194053&l=2b02bdd6b0>
      And I'm sharing the ideas and project online.
      So I'm looking at the moment from this group for ...what kind of kite
      will be able to
      1. Have microcontrollers, solar panels, accelerometers, wifi and
      coded laser reflectors sewn onto the corners.
      2. Be stable enough that a computer could fly it after a bit of
      training... (This is total guess work, I wont know my computer reaction
      times , winding speed and power parameters until a kite is specced.)
      Fairly thick and highish aspect am I right?
      3. Be really powerfull
      My guess is that I am going to have to start fairly standard. In order
      to keep prices down as I'm starting up... but also just to go about
      prooving the concepts in the first place..It's being done already in
      Italy I believe

    • Gary
      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 12 5:30 AM
        --- In kitesurf@yahoogroups.com, "roderickjosephread" <rod.read@...> wrote:
        Ben Franklin used a basic diamond kite with a metalized string attached to a key inside of a jar. The only problem is that it only generated electricity in a lightning storm.

        I would go out on a limb here and say that no kite is good for power generation. You might want to look into a tethered Aerostat. Plenty of surface area for Photo Voltaic Cells and infinitely more stable.

        The DEA operates them along our southern border. Their Aerostats are equipped with radars to track low flying aircraft flown by Drug Traffickers.

        http://www.af.mil/information/factsheets/factsheet.asp?id=3507

        You might Catch some Flack from the FAA if you use it above 400 ft above ground level. They operate theirs at 25,000ft but they are above the law.
      • Javier Morell Coll
        Message 3 of 8 , Feb 12 8:27 AM
          http://www.physorg.com/news137388314.html

          On Fri, Apr 29, 2011 at 22:27, roderickjosephread <rod.read@...>wrote:

          > **
          >

          > I've kinda screwed my back. So now I'm not kite surfing, I want to use a
          > computer controlled kite (stack?) to generate electricity.
          > I know ... odd
          > But we all know there's tonnes of power there.So I came up with a few
          > design concepts. And a tide one or two as well.
          >
          > https://www.facebook.com/media/set/fbx/?set=a.1746867586603.2087694.1086\
          > 194053&l=2b02bdd6b0<https://www.facebook.com/media/set/fbx/?set=a.1746867586603.2087694.1086194053&l=2b02bdd6b0>
          > <https://www.facebook.com/media/set/fbx/?set=a.1746867586603.2087694.108\
          > 6194053&l=2b02bdd6b0<https://www.facebook.com/media/set/fbx/?set=a.1746867586603.2087694.1086194053&l=2b02bdd6b0>
          > >
          > And I'm sharing the ideas and project online.
          > So I'm looking at the moment from this group for ...what kind of kite
          > will be able to
          > 1. Have microcontrollers, solar panels, accelerometers, wifi and
          > coded laser reflectors sewn onto the corners.
          > 2. Be stable enough that a computer could fly it after a bit of
          > training... (This is total guess work, I wont know my computer reaction
          > times , winding speed and power parameters until a kite is specced.)
          > Fairly thick and highish aspect am I right?
          > 3. Be really powerfull
          > My guess is that I am going to have to start fairly standard. In order
          > to keep prices down as I'm starting up... but also just to go about
          > prooving the concepts in the first place..It's being done already in
          > Italy I believe

        • roderickjosephread
          Message 4 of 8 , Feb 14 9:47 AM
            The FAA have only just finished their first consultation process in order to develop their new AWE (Airborne Wind Energy) class.

            I used some small beginner kites for my proof of concept
            http://sites.google.com/site/kitepowerresearch/home
          • Michael Olsen
            Message 5 of 8 , Feb 14 2:08 PM
              I have thought about testing a similar design but with tapered vent sizes along each outer foil for maximum ram air inflation pressure as the spinning speed increases. Nice work on actually creating a prototype!

              Message 6 of 8 , Jun 1, 2012
                My back has totally improved with physio and I'm back on the water by the way.
                Going for an R&D and feasibility study grant on this.
                Anyone want to join in with the techy fun?

                --- In kitesurf@yahoogroups.com, Javier Morell Coll <javier.morellc@...> wrote:

                > http://www.physorg.com/news137388314.html
                >
                > On Fri, Apr 29, 2011 at 22:27, roderickjosephread <rod.read@...>wrote:
                >
                > > **
                > >

                > > I've kinda screwed my back. So now I'm not kite surfing, I want to use a
                > > computer controlled kite (stack?) to generate electricity.
                > > I know ... odd
                > > But we all know there's tonnes of power there.So I came up with a few
                > > design concepts. And a tide one or two as well.
                > >
                > > https://www.facebook.com/media/set/fbx/?set=a.1746867586603.2087694.1086\
                > > 194053&l=2b02bdd6b0<https://www.facebook.com/media/set/fbx/?set=a.1746867586603.2087694.1086194053&l=2b02bdd6b0>
                > > <https://www.facebook.com/media/set/fbx/?set=a.1746867586603.2087694.108\
                > > 6194053&l=2b02bdd6b0<https://www.facebook.com/media/set/fbx/?set=a.1746867586603.2087694.1086194053&l=2b02bdd6b0>
                > > >
                > > And I'm sharing the ideas and project online.
                > > So I'm looking at the moment from this group for ...what kind of kite
                > > will be able to
                > > 1. Have microcontrollers, solar panels, accelerometers, wifi and
                > > coded laser reflectors sewn onto the corners.
                > > 2. Be stable enough that a computer could fly it after a bit of
                > > training... (This is total guess work, I wont know my computer reaction
                > > times , winding speed and power parameters until a kite is specced.)
                > > Fairly thick and highish aspect am I right?
                > > 3. Be really powerfull
                > > My guess is that I am going to have to start fairly standard. In order
                > > to keep prices down as I'm starting up... but also just to go about
                > > prooving the concepts in the first place..It's being done already in
                > > Italy I believe

              • Christian
                Message 7 of 8 , Jun 2, 2012
                  This is why I live in Cambridge! The combination of elite engineering geekdom and outdoor activity.

                  I have experience with DARPA grants. Would be happy to jump in.

                  My new company is www.cforta.org.

                  Christian

                  --- In kitesurf@yahoogroups.com, "roderickjosephread" <rod.read@...> wrote:

                  > My back has totally improved with physio and I'm back on the water by the way.
                  > Going for an R&D and feasibility study grant on this.
                  > Anyone want to join in with the techy fun?
                  >
                  > --- In kitesurf@yahoogroups.com, Javier Morell Coll <javier.morellc@> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > http://www.physorg.com/news137388314.html
                  > >
                  > > On Fri, Apr 29, 2011 at 22:27, roderickjosephread <rod.read@>wrote:
                  > >
                  > > > **
                  > > >

                  > > > I've kinda screwed my back. So now I'm not kite surfing, I want to use a
                  > > > computer controlled kite (stack?) to generate electricity.
                  > > > I know ... odd
                  > > > But we all know there's tonnes of power there.So I came up with a few
                  > > > design concepts. And a tide one or two as well.
                  > > >
                  > > > https://www.facebook.com/media/set/fbx/?set=a.1746867586603.2087694.1086\
                  > > > 194053&l=2b02bdd6b0<https://www.facebook.com/media/set/fbx/?set=a.1746867586603.2087694.1086194053&l=2b02bdd6b0>
                  > > > <https://www.facebook.com/media/set/fbx/?set=a.1746867586603.2087694.108\
                  > > > 6194053&l=2b02bdd6b0<https://www.facebook.com/media/set/fbx/?set=a.1746867586603.2087694.1086194053&l=2b02bdd6b0>
                  > > > >
                  > > > And I'm sharing the ideas and project online.
                  > > > So I'm looking at the moment from this group for ...what kind of kite
                  > > > will be able to
                  > > > 1. Have microcontrollers, solar panels, accelerometers, wifi and
                  > > > coded laser reflectors sewn onto the corners.
                  > > > 2. Be stable enough that a computer could fly it after a bit of
                  > > > training... (This is total guess work, I wont know my computer reaction
                  > > > times , winding speed and power parameters until a kite is specced.)
                  > > > Fairly thick and highish aspect am I right?
                  > > > 3. Be really powerfull
                  > > > My guess is that I am going to have to start fairly standard. In order
                  > > > to keep prices down as I'm starting up... but also just to go about
                  > > > prooving the concepts in the first place..It's being done already in
                  > > > Italy I believe

                • roderickjosephread
                  Message 8 of 8 , Jun 4, 2012
                    Gosh,It's come on a long way since then thanks Christian.see
                    http://pleasefund.us/projects/daisy-kite-power-generator
                    <http://pleasefund.us/projects/daisy-kite-power-generator> Who would you
                    pair my project with? I am considering a SMART feasibility and R&D grant
                    from Scottish Enterprise, for a Community Interest Company.Still up for
                    jumping in ? I'm just about to incorporate.