Re: [ksurf] NAISH X4 16M KITESURING KITE controle setup H E L P plz

  • George
    Message 1 of 9 , Jul 7, 2008
      Chris,

      I'm glad to hear you're getting (or getting back ) into flying kites.  However, much has
      changed over the years...
      Kitesurfing can be dangerous.  Search on 'kiteforum.com' for 'fatalities' and you'll see what
      I mean.
       For your safety (and the safety of others) and your enjoyment,
      I recommend that you take lessons first.  Your life is valuable!  During the lessons, many of your
      questions will be answered, and the money you spend will be well worth it...

      Have fun!

      Message 2 of 9 , Jul 7, 2008
        thanks for the advice even though i know your probably right i will
        probably ignore it (i do that allot)
        i had some lessons given to me for my "ehemh cough" birthday.lol but
        theay went tits up as a company.
        i am the kind of nut that grabs the bull by the horns much to the
        amusement of my mates.
        when i flew my nassa for the first time as i was dragged and bumped
        over the rocks at llanaber north wales in A 15 mph of shore,
        never used break lines before and didn't see the need for the things.
        (any how the bruise that went down the right hand side of my body from
        face to shin healed in about 5 or 6 weeks no biggy)
        the reason i got my nassa was because the guy in the shop said the
        smaller version killed a guy the week before.
        (dragged him through a wall)
        i was thinking YES REAL POWER as i handed him the cash.
        i can fly and jump it now using my old climbing harness tied to my
        bars lol bit daft i know but,
        acting with out thinking can be entertaining at times.
        using my nassa to power my kayak across the lake at bala when i lost
        wind half way across, i ended up with a wet kite, and dumbo, thought
        there was no need to take the paddle, so ended up swimming towing a
        boat and 10 mtrs of soggy kite.
        try it its kind of fun on a warm day.
        so what can you advise to minimise death? lol
        death makes you antisocial, i had a mate that caught death he never
        comes round or calls any more.
        having someone put me in the right direction would be nice so i dont
        waist cash on stuff i dont need .
        i do fully intend to use it on land before i take to the sea start off
        small in ponds(on short lines) and work my way up.
        and as for the safety of others i dont intend to have a crowd to watch
        the fool for the first time (apart from me mate dave, my old climbing
        partner, who takes great delight watching the stone monkey getting
        banged up on rocks.
        take it easy
        chris

        --- In kitesurf@yahoogroups.com, George <ynotkite@...> wrote:

        > Chris,
        >
        > I'm glad to hear you're getting (or getting back ) into flying
        kites. However, much has
        > changed over the years...
        > Kitesurfing can be dangerous. Search on 'kiteforum.com' for
        'fatalities' and you'll see what
        > I mean.
        > For your safety (and the safety of others) and your enjoyment,
        > I recommend that you take lessons first. Your life is valuable!
        During the lessons, many of your
        > questions will be answered, and the money you spend will be well
        worth it...

        > Have fun!

      • Steve
        Message 3 of 9 , Jul 7, 2008
          Hey Dude -

          First off - make a control bar for one of your smaller 2-3 meter - four
          line stunt kites and play with it a bit. It's not much different but
          you'll save wear and tear on your X4. fronts go to your harness and
          rears to the bar ends. The biggest diff between that type of trainer and
          a X4 is that on the X4 when you pull on the bar you get more power not
          less. You can't stall an X4 - so set up your line lengths so you can't
          stall the trainer kite to get the right feel

          2nd - go look at some 5 line control bars - that's what you need. They
          are pretty cheap these days -Your best bet is a Naish 5 line control
          bar. Next would be some other brand. I like and use North bars on Naish
          kites. Harness - if your waist is smaller than your chest get a waist
          harness. If it is bigger get a seat harness.

          3rd- don't start on land with the 16, there is no point - you know how
          to fly a kite right? Get out in the water so if you get slammed you hit
          water- much softer and what you need to learn right off is how to do a
          water relaunch, you've never had a kite that could do that.

          Steve
          Carson City, Nevada, USA

          lord_stone_monkey wrote:

          > thanks for the advice even though i know your probably right i will
          > probably ignore it (i do that allot)
          > i had some lessons given to me for my "ehemh cough" birthday.lol but
          > theay went tits up as a company.
          > i am the kind of nut that grabs the bull by the horns much to the
          > amusement of my mates.
          > when i flew my nassa for the first time as i was dragged and bumped
          > over the rocks at llanaber north wales in A 15 mph of shore,
          > never used break lines before and didn't see the need for the things.
          > (any how the bruise that went down the right hand side of my body from
          > face to shin healed in about 5 or 6 weeks no biggy)
          > the reason i got my nassa was because the guy in the shop said the
          > smaller version killed a guy the week before.
          > (dragged him through a wall)
          > i was thinking YES REAL POWER as i handed him the cash.
          > i can fly and jump it now using my old climbing harness tied to my
          > bars lol bit daft i know but,
          > acting with out thinking can be entertaining at times.
          > using my nassa to power my kayak across the lake at bala when i lost
          > wind half way across, i ended up with a wet kite, and dumbo, thought
          > there was no need to take the paddle, so ended up swimming towing a
          > boat and 10 mtrs of soggy kite.
          > try it its kind of fun on a warm day.
          > so what can you advise to minimise death? lol
          > death makes you antisocial, i had a mate that caught death he never
          > comes round or calls any more.
          > having someone put me in the right direction would be nice so i dont
          > waist cash on stuff i dont need .
          > i do fully intend to use it on land before i take to the sea start off
          > small in ponds(on short lines) and work my way up.
          > and as for the safety of others i dont intend to have a crowd to watch
          > the fool for the first time (apart from me mate dave, my old climbing
          > partner, who takes great delight watching the stone monkey getting
          > banged up on rocks.
          > take it easy
          > chris
          >
          > --- In kitesurf@yahoogroups.com <mailto:kitesurf%40yahoogroups.com>,
          > George <ynotkite@...> wrote:
          > >
          > > Chris,
          > >
          > > I'm glad to hear you're getting (or getting back ) into flying
          > kites. However, much has
          > > changed over the years...
          > > Kitesurfing can be dangerous. Search on 'kiteforum.com' for
          > 'fatalities' and you'll see what
          > > I mean.
          > > For your safety (and the safety of others) and your enjoyment,
          > > I recommend that you take lessons first. Your life is valuable!
          > During the lessons, many of your
          > > questions will be answered, and the money you spend will be well
          > worth it...
          > >

          > > Have fun!

        • loco4olas
          Message 4 of 9 , Jul 7, 2008
            Hmmm-tough guy hey-laughs at death?
            How about quad or paraplegia-laugh at that too?
            You're not some tough guy hero-making wise cracks at your mate who died.
            You're just stupid-keep the fuck away from me at the beach-I'll be the one saying "I told you so" when the ambos cart your fucked up body off.
            Good luck fool-you'll need it.
            Good riddance.

            ************************

            thanks for the advice even though i know your probably right i will
            probably ignore it (i do that allot)
            i had some lessons given to me for my "ehemh cough" birthday.lol but
            theay went tits up as a company.
            i am the kind of nut that grabs the bull by the horns much to the
            amusement of my mates.
            when i flew my nassa for the first time as i was dragged and bumped
            over the rocks at llanaber north wales in A 15 mph of shore,
            never used break lines before and didn't see the need for the things.
            (any how the bruise that went down the right hand side of my body from
            face to shin healed in about 5 or 6 weeks no biggy)
            the reason i got my nassa was because the guy in the shop said the
            smaller version killed a guy the week before.
            (dragged him through a wall)
            i was thinking YES REAL POWER as i handed him the cash.
            i can fly and jump it now using my old climbing harness tied to my
            bars lol bit daft i know but,
            acting with out thinking can be entertaining at times.
            using my nassa to power my kayak across the lake at bala when i lost
            wind half way across, i ended up with a wet kite, and dumbo, thought
            there was no need to take the paddle, so ended up swimming towing a
            boat and 10 mtrs of soggy kite.
            try it its kind of fun on a warm day.
            so what can you advise to minimise death? lol
            death makes you antisocial, i had a mate that caught death he never
            comes round or calls any more.
            having someone put me in the right direction would be nice so i dont
            waist cash on stuff i dont need .
            i do fully intend to use it on land before i take to the sea start off
            small in ponds(on short lines) and work my way up.
            and as for the safety of others i dont intend to have a crowd to watch
            the fool for the first time (apart from me mate dave, my old climbing
            partner, who takes great delight watching the stone monkey getting
            banged up on rocks.
            take it easy
            chris

            --- In kitesurf@yahoogroups.com, George <ynotkite@...> wrote:

            > Chris,
            >
            > I'm glad to hear you're getting (or getting back ) into flying
            kites. However, much has
            > changed over the years...
            > Kitesurfing can be dangerous. Search on 'kiteforum.com' for
            'fatalities' and you'll see what
            > I mean.
            > For your safety (and the safety of others) and your enjoyment,
            > I recommend that you take lessons first. Your life is valuable!
            During the lessons, many of your
            > questions will be answered, and the money you spend will be well
            worth it...

            > Have fun!

          • lord_stone_monkey
            Message 5 of 9 , Jul 8, 2008
              aimed specifically at loco4olas
              and to everyone else that reads this i apologise for my harsh tone in
              advance
              NO i aint a tough guy
              i got Spina bifida and I laugh at that,and im dyslexic as well and
              laugh at that to
              will that do for you??? ..
              (richard)
              it is my disability that pushes me to enjoy myself and do these
              things..IT HAS NOT TURNED ME INTO A FULL CRIPP YET BUT IT WILL.
              OR am i supposed to sit in a bath chair on Hastings beach with a
              blanket warped round my legs with all the other cripps??pleading with
              god everyday to kill me now.
              while i can, i will do all i can, for excitement and fun.
              WHEN i can not stand no more to surf walk or ride my bike,
              i can go back to my buggies or get a kite boat,give up climbing, and
              carry on paddling,
              things you can do with useless legs.
              I wont be entering no ruining events.
              Something i aint going to do is whine and bitch that i can not walk no
              more.
              crawl into a hole and say woe is me my life is over .
              FCUK THAT

              i came for advice not a lecture of some snotty nose rich kid
              I was NOT laughing at a mates death or any ones for that matter. (i
              did not know him but that is beside the point)
              it was a recognition of the kites power.

              you got no adventure ?
              THE type of guy that hangs about on beaches that puts his kite up,
              and never launches it?
              with the excuses there is not enough/to much wind or you don't have
              the correct kite with you or wrong set up cord to long /short
              sitting on the beach full of your own self importance,
              with the latest gear and board fashions.
              AND without the balls to say what you say on line in real life.
              you get people like that in all sports.
              its like people that go to the gym to socialise,not to work out and
              disturb you, when your trying to.

              Question to you.
              who taught the first guy to try kite surfing? or did he just "have a go"
              where would the world be without pioneers?
              no invention would have ever been invented with out the men to test
              them (perhaps invented but not tested.) and you would not be on this
              thing running of ya mouth

              i go free climbing and white water kayaking in spain round la
              coruna(galica)costa del morte (coast of death) as well.
              so what's wrong with that in your opinion? you are bound to have one
              your type always do.
              nobody taught me to climb either,but im in e/3-4 climbing grades and
              started off bouldering.
              purchased a nice pair of mythos boots and headed for wales

              sombody did teach me to Eskimo (ops sorry Inuit) role in me boat.
              I had the 8th EVER DUEL LINE KITE SOLD IN UK (peter powell)in about
              1973/4/5.(i forget exact date im getting old)it had the serial no of
              8, wooden strutted yellow plastic bag type efort thing.
              I got it from peter powell`s house before he had a factory and was a 1
              man operation.
              OH yes i tried paragliding as well but didn't like it.
              im not saying any of this to try and make myself out to be a action man,
              i aint,on the contrary,
              but i will have a go and try anything once. twice if i like it .

              you got one life no rehearsals,
              live it,
              how ever you want,
              as long as you dont harm, mess, or interfere with others lives unless
              they want you to.
              OR You can sit on the beach watching every one ells

              what's wrong with excepting death as part of life?
              AND no i don't want to die or do i have a death wish.
              its the only guarantee from the day your born in it,death.
              As for laughing at it,what's the alternative crying about it? why
              would you do that?

              SO if you carnt say any thing constructive please stay silent as a
              closed mouth gathers no foot.

              sorry to the rest of you a noobie to the groop having a go at a regular
              and if i get booted so be it.
              but i aint a noobie to kites (about 35 years exp) the power of kites
              or flying 4 lined kites.
              just to bar flying and setting the thing up.
              i understand water currents,thanks to kayaking from the age of 8 and a
              bit of surfing (not much granted).

              if nobody is prepaid to help that's fine.but i aint as mad as the
              Italian that took it out in 150 mts swell was it?
              then bit the bullet.
              i would think 4 or 5 times before taking my boat out in that,
              and i got loads of exp at that in Canada,Wales,Spain,France just to
              name a few and nearly every beach i visit wherever it is.
              sorry but (that richard) annoyed me.

              --- In kitesurf@yahoogroups.com, "loco4olas" <loco4olas@...> wrote:

              > Hmmm-tough guy hey-laughs at death?
              > How about quad or paraplegia-laugh at that too?
              > You're not some tough guy hero-making wise cracks at your mate who died.
              > You're just stupid-keep the fuck away from me at the beach-I'll be
              the one saying "I told you so" when the ambos cart your fucked up body
              off.
              > Good luck fool-you'll need it.
              > Good riddance.
              >

              > ************************

              L P plz

              > thanks for the advice even though i know your probably right i will
              > probably ignore it (i do that allot)
              > i had some lessons given to me for my "ehemh cough" birthday.lol but
              > theay went tits up as a company.
              > i am the kind of nut that grabs the bull by the horns much to the
              > amusement of my mates.
              > when i flew my nassa for the first time as i was dragged and bumped
              > over the rocks at llanaber north wales in A 15 mph of shore,
              > never used break lines before and didn't see the need for the things.
              > (any how the bruise that went down the right hand side of my body from
              > face to shin healed in about 5 or 6 weeks no biggy)
              > the reason i got my nassa was because the guy in the shop said the
              > smaller version killed a guy the week before.
              > (dragged him through a wall)
              > i was thinking YES REAL POWER as i handed him the cash.
              > i can fly and jump it now using my old climbing harness tied to my
              > bars lol bit daft i know but,
              > acting with out thinking can be entertaining at times.
              > using my nassa to power my kayak across the lake at bala when i lost
              > wind half way across, i ended up with a wet kite, and dumbo, thought
              > there was no need to take the paddle, so ended up swimming towing a
              > boat and 10 mtrs of soggy kite.
              > try it its kind of fun on a warm day.
              > so what can you advise to minimise death? lol
              > death makes you antisocial, i had a mate that caught death he never
              > comes round or calls any more.
              > having someone put me in the right direction would be nice so i dont
              > waist cash on stuff i dont need .
              > i do fully intend to use it on land before i take to the sea start off
              > small in ponds(on short lines) and work my way up.
              > and as for the safety of others i dont intend to have a crowd to watch
              > the fool for the first time (apart from me mate dave, my old climbing
              > partner, who takes great delight watching the stone monkey getting
              > banged up on rocks.
              > take it easy
              > chris
              >
              > --- In kitesurf@yahoogroups.com, George <ynotkite@> wrote:
              > >
              > > Chris,
              > >
              > > I'm glad to hear you're getting (or getting back ) into flying
              > kites. However, much has
              > > changed over the years...
              > > Kitesurfing can be dangerous. Search on 'kiteforum.com' for
              > 'fatalities' and you'll see what
              > > I mean.
              > > For your safety (and the safety of others) and your enjoyment,
              > > I recommend that you take lessons first. Your life is valuable!
              > During the lessons, many of your
              > > questions will be answered, and the money you spend will be well
              > worth it...
              > >

              > > Have fun!

            • lord_stone_monkey
              Message 6 of 9 , Jul 8, 2008
                thanks bud
                i will try it that way and lmao i know what you mean about slamming
                into the wet stuff it is a lot more forgiving than a beach
                and your advice is a lot more useful than some comments i got
                and your right water launch is a new exp for me but i should get the
                hang of it quick
                nice one again bud.
                chris
                --- In kitesurf@yahoogroups.com, Steve <stevesgroups@...> wrote:

> [...]
                > > partner, who takes great delight watching the stone monkey getting
                > > banged up on rocks.
                > > take it easy
                > > chris
                > >
                > > --- In kitesurf@yahoogroups.com <mailto:kitesurf%40yahoogroups.com>,
                > > George <ynotkite@> wrote:
                > > >
                > > > Chris,
                > > >
                > > > I'm glad to hear you're getting (or getting back ) into flying
                > > kites. However, much has
                > > > changed over the years...
                > > > Kitesurfing can be dangerous. Search on 'kiteforum.com' for
                > > 'fatalities' and you'll see what
                > > > I mean.
                > > > For your safety (and the safety of others) and your enjoyment,
                > > > I recommend that you take lessons first. Your life is valuable!
                > > During the lessons, many of your
                > > > questions will be answered, and the money you spend will be well

                7/7/2008 7:40 AM

              • George
                Message 7 of 9 , Jul 8, 2008
                  Chris,

                  First of all, I applaud you for your tenacity to hang in there and keep active and enjoying
                  life despite your challenges.  That's awesome!

                  Although 'loco4olas' expressed himself in a rather
                  harsh way, I think he (like myself) is concerned about people going out
                  without knowing what to do, injuring others, and closing down beaches
                  because of their carelessness.  We've seen this happen many times already
                  so kiters are now sensitive to this issue (again, just log onto 'kiteforum.com' and
                  you'll see).

                  If you really meant what you wrote below:

                  ......you got one life no rehearsals,
                  live it,
                  how ever you want,
                  as long as you dont harm, mess, or interfere with others lives unless
                  they want you to.

                  then you also know that your actions CAN affect other people, so please
                  be considerate.

                  George.

> [...]

                  i understand water currents,thanks to kayaking from the age of 8 and a
                  bit of surfing (not much granted).

                  if nobody is prepaid to help that's fine.but i aint as mad as the
                  Italian that took it out in 150 mts swell was it?
                  then bit the bullet.
                  i would think 4 or 5 times before taking my boat out in that,
                  and i got loads of exp at that in Canada,Wales, Spain,France just to
                  name a few and nearly every beach i visit wherever it is.
                  sorry but (that richard) annoyed me.

                  --- In kitesurf@yahoogroup s.com, "loco4olas" <loco4olas@. ..> wrote:

                  > Hmmm-tough guy hey-laughs at death?
                  > How about quad or paraplegia-laugh at that too?
                  > You're not some tough guy hero-making wise cracks at your mate who died.
                  > You're just stupid-keep the fuck away from me at the beach-I'll be
                  the one saying "I told you so" when the ambos cart your fucked up body

                • lord_stone_monkey
                  Message 8 of 9 , Jul 9, 2008
                    I agree.
                    its just the way the fool put it.
                    now for the hippy shit lol.
                    i usually use beaches witch are people void, as i hate crowdy beaches.
                    a beach with 10 people in a mile is pushing it for me(that's including
                    mates) i like the solitude to be with my own thoughts. and the sound
                    of the kite strings.
                    that's why i like sun rise and sun set, not so many people and i will
                    walk the extra mile or so to attain this, and as you know the winds
                    are obviously different.
                    i tend to keep of the main tourist routes,beaches and subsequently
                    have found a few beautiful spots around Europe, fer a beer,smoke and
                    launch a kite or boat especially round spain galica.
                    my other half is from that part of the world,her sisters still live
                    there,so do her folks moved back 15 years ago, and i got good mates there.
                    one of her sisters boyfriends is a fisherman and shown me some
                    beautiful beaches that the public don't use, that stretch for miles
                    not even a foot print only the ones you leave.
                    i spent 5 hours on one, left, and saw nobody,apart from the four of us.
                    i have got mate of mate in hastings (was @ mates wedding)that teaches
                    kite surfing.
                    ( so to save any more trouble of you guys(light hearted ) or other
                    half(not so light hearted i have to live with her lol)

                    i will find out his number and give him a bell.
                    but i could still do with knowing what kit i will need to get so i can
                    turn up with working kit for kite
                    and he can then show me how to throw it together.

                    But PLEASE dont be thinking i aint got no respect for the wind or sea
                    or have any doubts that it can chew up and spit out bigger guys than me.
                    i know its concern for safety whether yours or mine.
                    but i can say almost 100%, i wouldn't be on the beach where you guys
                    are any how.(not meant in a nasty way)
                    cause the other thing i hate (apart from people lol) is politics.

                    it dont matter if it`s beach,county,country or world politics it all
                    crap.
                    i carnt change it no matter how many times i vote or who for.
                    so i keep away from it.
                    man `o` peace me lol and dont like fighting getting in the way of my
                    "out side thang" nd spoiling it,if on a mountain in a river or on the
                    beach.
                    i live in a well pollutid part of uk with wannabe 12 year old
                    gangsters roaming the streets trashing the aria and cars and
                    threatening other kids and adults with blades.
                    no threat to me but rather not have to deal with it.
                    I want to spend good quality peaceful time
                    not dealing with politics at all eva lol.
                    this is why im /we are considering a move to spain.

                    so any help you could give me with what kit to get before i contact my
                    mate (cause that in its self is a pain in the ass) would be helpful .
                    sod me i waffle lol