RE: [ksurf] shark phobia

  • Gary Brownless
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 5, 2008
      Hiya

      If I recall correctly, there was a report about 2Y back regarding a kiter
      who had his board bitten by a great white off Durban (South Africa) during a
      down wind race - he survived with no injuries. If you have seen the video
      clips / foto's taken around Cape Agullas area of Great Whites attacking live
      seals and a dummy seal towed behind a ski-boat - then imagine how attractive
      a nice coloured board must look silhouetted against the surface with nice
      speed curves, or even better those nice yummy legs hanging down whilst body
      dragging towards yr board!!

      Good news is that they generally stay away from aerated water, so stay
      inside the surf zone and avoid drop-offs where they like to lurk waiting for
      the seals returning from feeding inside the surf zone.

      The kiters in Richards Bay, Durban, East London and Muizenburg for sure must
      have some experience with Da Whitey and may have some stories / tips.

      Cheers

      Message 2 of 7 , Sep 5, 2008
        --- In kitesurf@yahoogroups.com, "Georgeiw@..." <georgeiw@...> wrote:

        > Of course you can! Particularly when your kite breaks or the wind
        dies
        > and you are just swimming. Be safe
        >

        > Sent from my iPhone
        >
        > On Mar 31, 2008, at 6:20 PM, "miquelor" <miquelor@...> wrote:
        >
        > > hey, anyone has had an encounter with a shark while kiting? the
        area
        > > where i kite has tiger sharks, but im not sure if you could be
        > > attacked
        > > while kiting

        This is what can happen kiteboarding whit shark.Follow the link

        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nza6d7-8NDc&feature=related
      • The prophet
        Message 3 of 7 , Sep 28, 2008
          Hi;

          Does anyone know if you can use a Cabrinha Omega 2007 bar on a Gaatra
          Jekyll 2008 kite? I've got an Omega and have just ordered up a Jekyll
          but prefer the bar on the Omega.

          Kris