Re: [ksurf] shark phobia

  • Niall Macken, IDE Inc.
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 1, 2008
      Hi

      I Kitesurf at Waddell Creek (California). Now the Landlord is the Great
      White who is feeding mostly on Elephant Seal pups at Ano Nuevo north
      about a mile. But I am sure they do cruise by south. I havent seen one.
      But they have been sighted along the coast. No one as far as I know has
      had issues. I do however think about it sometimes while kiting or
      surfing and when I go to China I NEVER eat sharks-fin-soup...bad karma.

      nm

      Gabe Le wrote:

      > mostly probably not attacked when kiting, but I can imagine sharks
      > could attack some butt which is hangin' too long in the water :D
      > kidding asside: while the rider is in water (mostly shallow, right?)
      > and sharks are near, anything can happen. These creatures are very
      > curious, and they react also to splashes (which kitesurfers do).
      >
      > I personally haven't heard yet of kitesurfers nor windsurfers being
      > attacked.
      > Nevertheless, knowing an area which HAS sharkies, I'd stay away from
      > there.
      >
      > Anybody else?
      >
      > Gabe
      >
      > miquelor <miquelor@... <mailto:miquelor%40yahoo.com>> wrote:
      > hey, anyone has had an encounter with a shark while kiting? the area
      > where i kite has tiger sharks, but im not sure if you could be attacked
      > while kiting

      */Niall Macken, /*/BSME, /

      /Senior Project Manager./

      */IDE Incorporated./*

      /Product Design & Development/

      /269 Mt. Hermon Road, Suite 206/

      /Scotts Valley, CA 95066/

      /USA/

      /831-438-2888 (Voice)/

      /831-438-5448 (Fax)/

      /www.ideinc.com/ <http://www.ideinc.com>

      /nmacken@... <mailto:nmacken@...>/

    • Georgeiw@aol.com
      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 4, 2008
        Of course you can! Particularly when your kite breaks or the wind dies
        and you are just swimming. Be safe

        Sent from my iPhone

        On Mar 31, 2008, at 6:20 PM, "miquelor" <miquelor@...> wrote:

        > hey, anyone has had an encounter with a shark while kiting? the area
        > where i kite has tiger sharks, but im not sure if you could be
        > attacked
        > while kiting

      • Gary Brownless
        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 5, 2008
          Hiya

          If I recall correctly, there was a report about 2Y back regarding a kiter
          who had his board bitten by a great white off Durban (South Africa) during a
          down wind race - he survived with no injuries. If you have seen the video
          clips / foto's taken around Cape Agullas area of Great Whites attacking live
          seals and a dummy seal towed behind a ski-boat - then imagine how attractive
          a nice coloured board must look silhouetted against the surface with nice
          speed curves, or even better those nice yummy legs hanging down whilst body
          dragging towards yr board!!

          Good news is that they generally stay away from aerated water, so stay
          inside the surf zone and avoid drop-offs where they like to lurk waiting for
          the seals returning from feeding inside the surf zone.

          The kiters in Richards Bay, Durban, East London and Muizenburg for sure must
          have some experience with Da Whitey and may have some stories / tips.

          Cheers

          Gabe Le wrote:

          > mostly probably not attacked when kiting, but I can imagine sharks
          > could attack some butt which is hangin' too long in the water :D
          > kidding asside: while the rider is in water (mostly shallow, right?)
          > and sharks are near, anything can happen. These creatures are very
          > curious, and they react also to splashes (which kitesurfers do).
          >
          > I personally haven't heard yet of kitesurfers nor windsurfers being
          > attacked.
          > Nevertheless, knowing an area which HAS sharkies, I'd stay away from
          > there.
          >
          > Anybody else?
          >
          > Gabe
          >
          > miquelor <miquelor@... <mailto:miquelor%40yahoo.com>
          <mailto:miquelor%40yahoo.com>> wrote:
          > hey, anyone has had an encounter with a shark while kiting? the area
          > where i kite has tiger sharks, but im not sure if you could be attacked
          > while kiting

          */Niall Macken, /*/BSME, /

          /Senior Project Manager./

          */IDE Incorporated./*

          /Product Design & Development/

          /269 Mt. Hermon Road, Suite 206/

          /Scotts Valley, CA 95066/

          /USA/

          /831-438-2888 (Voice)/

          /831-438-5448 (Fax)/

          /www.ideinc.com/ <http://www.ideinc.com>

          /nmacken@... <mailto:%2Fnmacken%40ideinc.com>
          <mailto:nmacken@... <mailto:nmacken%40ideinc.com> >/

        • giannibiancolin
          Message 4 of 7 , Sep 5, 2008
            --- In kitesurf@yahoogroups.com, "Georgeiw@..." <georgeiw@...> wrote:

            > Of course you can! Particularly when your kite breaks or the wind
            dies
            > and you are just swimming. Be safe
            >

            > Sent from my iPhone
            >
            > On Mar 31, 2008, at 6:20 PM, "miquelor" <miquelor@...> wrote:
            >
            > > hey, anyone has had an encounter with a shark while kiting? the
            area
            > > where i kite has tiger sharks, but im not sure if you could be
            > > attacked
            > > while kiting

            This is what can happen kiteboarding whit shark.Follow the link

            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nza6d7-8NDc&feature=related
          • The prophet
            Message 5 of 7 , Sep 28, 2008
              Hi;

              Does anyone know if you can use a Cabrinha Omega 2007 bar on a Gaatra
              Jekyll 2008 kite? I've got an Omega and have just ordered up a Jekyll
              but prefer the bar on the Omega.

              Kris