Re: [ksurf] shark phobia

  • Gabe Le
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 1 12:29 PM
      mostly probably not attacked when kiting, but I can imagine sharks could attack some butt which is hangin' too long in the water :D
      kidding asside: while the rider is in water (mostly shallow, right?) and sharks are near, anything can happen. These creatures are very curious, and they react also to splashes (which kitesurfers do).

      I personally haven't heard yet of kitesurfers nor windsurfers being attacked.
      Nevertheless, knowing an area which HAS sharkies, I'd stay away from there.

      Anybody else?

      Gabe

      miquelor <miquelor@...> wrote: hey, anyone has had an encounter with a shark while kiting? the area
      where i kite has tiger sharks, but im not sure if you could be attacked
      while kiting

    • Niall Macken, IDE Inc.
      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 1 12:57 PM
        Hi

        I Kitesurf at Waddell Creek (California). Now the Landlord is the Great
        White who is feeding mostly on Elephant Seal pups at Ano Nuevo north
        about a mile. But I am sure they do cruise by south. I havent seen one.
        But they have been sighted along the coast. No one as far as I know has
        had issues. I do however think about it sometimes while kiting or
        surfing and when I go to China I NEVER eat sharks-fin-soup...bad karma.

        nm

        Gabe Le wrote:

        > mostly probably not attacked when kiting, but I can imagine sharks
        > could attack some butt which is hangin' too long in the water :D
        > kidding asside: while the rider is in water (mostly shallow, right?)
        > and sharks are near, anything can happen. These creatures are very
        > curious, and they react also to splashes (which kitesurfers do).
        >
        > I personally haven't heard yet of kitesurfers nor windsurfers being
        > attacked.
        > Nevertheless, knowing an area which HAS sharkies, I'd stay away from
        > there.
        >
        > Anybody else?
        >
        > Gabe
        >
        > miquelor <miquelor@... <mailto:miquelor%40yahoo.com>> wrote:
        > hey, anyone has had an encounter with a shark while kiting? the area
        > where i kite has tiger sharks, but im not sure if you could be attacked
        > while kiting

        */Niall Macken, /*/BSME, /

        /Senior Project Manager./

        */IDE Incorporated./*

        /Product Design & Development/

        /269 Mt. Hermon Road, Suite 206/

        /Scotts Valley, CA 95066/

        /USA/

        /831-438-2888 (Voice)/

        /831-438-5448 (Fax)/

        /www.ideinc.com/ <http://www.ideinc.com>

        /nmacken@... <mailto:nmacken@...>/

      • Georgeiw@aol.com
        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 4 12:38 PM
          Of course you can! Particularly when your kite breaks or the wind dies
          and you are just swimming. Be safe

          Sent from my iPhone

          On Mar 31, 2008, at 6:20 PM, "miquelor" <miquelor@...> wrote:

          > hey, anyone has had an encounter with a shark while kiting? the area
          > where i kite has tiger sharks, but im not sure if you could be
          > attacked
          > while kiting

        • Gary Brownless
          Message 4 of 7 , Apr 5 3:06 AM
            Hiya

            If I recall correctly, there was a report about 2Y back regarding a kiter
            who had his board bitten by a great white off Durban (South Africa) during a
            down wind race - he survived with no injuries. If you have seen the video
            clips / foto's taken around Cape Agullas area of Great Whites attacking live
            seals and a dummy seal towed behind a ski-boat - then imagine how attractive
            a nice coloured board must look silhouetted against the surface with nice
            speed curves, or even better those nice yummy legs hanging down whilst body
            dragging towards yr board!!

            Good news is that they generally stay away from aerated water, so stay
            inside the surf zone and avoid drop-offs where they like to lurk waiting for
            the seals returning from feeding inside the surf zone.

            The kiters in Richards Bay, Durban, East London and Muizenburg for sure must
            have some experience with Da Whitey and may have some stories / tips.

            Cheers

            Gabe Le wrote:

            > mostly probably not attacked when kiting, but I can imagine sharks
            > could attack some butt which is hangin' too long in the water :D
            > kidding asside: while the rider is in water (mostly shallow, right?)
            > and sharks are near, anything can happen. These creatures are very
            > curious, and they react also to splashes (which kitesurfers do).
            >
            > I personally haven't heard yet of kitesurfers nor windsurfers being
            > attacked.
            > Nevertheless, knowing an area which HAS sharkies, I'd stay away from
            > there.
            >
            > Anybody else?
            >
            > Gabe
            >
            > miquelor <miquelor@... <mailto:miquelor%40yahoo.com>
            <mailto:miquelor%40yahoo.com>> wrote:
            > hey, anyone has had an encounter with a shark while kiting? the area
            > where i kite has tiger sharks, but im not sure if you could be attacked
            > while kiting

            */Niall Macken, /*/BSME, /

            /Senior Project Manager./

            */IDE Incorporated./*

            /Product Design & Development/

            /269 Mt. Hermon Road, Suite 206/

            /Scotts Valley, CA 95066/

            /USA/

            /831-438-2888 (Voice)/

            /831-438-5448 (Fax)/

            /www.ideinc.com/ <http://www.ideinc.com>

            /nmacken@... <mailto:%2Fnmacken%40ideinc.com>
            <mailto:nmacken@... <mailto:nmacken%40ideinc.com> >/

          • giannibiancolin
            Message 5 of 7 , Sep 5, 2008
              --- In kitesurf@yahoogroups.com, "Georgeiw@..." <georgeiw@...> wrote:

              > Of course you can! Particularly when your kite breaks or the wind
              dies
              > and you are just swimming. Be safe
              >

              > Sent from my iPhone
              >
              > On Mar 31, 2008, at 6:20 PM, "miquelor" <miquelor@...> wrote:
              >
              > > hey, anyone has had an encounter with a shark while kiting? the
              area
              > > where i kite has tiger sharks, but im not sure if you could be
              > > attacked
              > > while kiting

              This is what can happen kiteboarding whit shark.Follow the link

              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nza6d7-8NDc&feature=related
            • The prophet
              Message 6 of 7 , Sep 28, 2008
                Hi;

                Does anyone know if you can use a Cabrinha Omega 2007 bar on a Gaatra
                Jekyll 2008 kite? I've got an Omega and have just ordered up a Jekyll
                but prefer the bar on the Omega.

                Kris