shark phobia

  • miquelor
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 31, 2008
      hey, anyone has had an encounter with a shark while kiting? the area
      where i kite has tiger sharks, but im not sure if you could be attacked
      while kiting
    • Gabe Le
      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 1, 2008
        mostly probably not attacked when kiting, but I can imagine sharks could attack some butt which is hangin' too long in the water :D
        kidding asside: while the rider is in water (mostly shallow, right?) and sharks are near, anything can happen. These creatures are very curious, and they react also to splashes (which kitesurfers do).

        I personally haven't heard yet of kitesurfers nor windsurfers being attacked.
        Nevertheless, knowing an area which HAS sharkies, I'd stay away from there.

        Anybody else?

        Gabe

        miquelor <miquelor@...> wrote: hey, anyone has had an encounter with a shark while kiting? the area
        where i kite has tiger sharks, but im not sure if you could be attacked
        while kiting

      • Niall Macken, IDE Inc.
        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 1, 2008
          Hi

          I Kitesurf at Waddell Creek (California). Now the Landlord is the Great
          White who is feeding mostly on Elephant Seal pups at Ano Nuevo north
          about a mile. But I am sure they do cruise by south. I havent seen one.
          But they have been sighted along the coast. No one as far as I know has
          had issues. I do however think about it sometimes while kiting or
          surfing and when I go to China I NEVER eat sharks-fin-soup...bad karma.

          nm

          Gabe Le wrote:

          > mostly probably not attacked when kiting, but I can imagine sharks
          > could attack some butt which is hangin' too long in the water :D
          > kidding asside: while the rider is in water (mostly shallow, right?)
          > and sharks are near, anything can happen. These creatures are very
          > curious, and they react also to splashes (which kitesurfers do).
          >
          > I personally haven't heard yet of kitesurfers nor windsurfers being
          > attacked.
          > Nevertheless, knowing an area which HAS sharkies, I'd stay away from
          > there.
          >
          > Anybody else?
          >
          > Gabe
          >
          > miquelor <miquelor@... <mailto:miquelor%40yahoo.com>> wrote:
          > hey, anyone has had an encounter with a shark while kiting? the area
          > where i kite has tiger sharks, but im not sure if you could be attacked
          > while kiting

          */Niall Macken, /*/BSME, /

          /Senior Project Manager./

          */IDE Incorporated./*

          /Product Design & Development/

          /269 Mt. Hermon Road, Suite 206/

          /Scotts Valley, CA 95066/

          /USA/

          /831-438-2888 (Voice)/

          /831-438-5448 (Fax)/

          /www.ideinc.com/ <http://www.ideinc.com>

          /nmacken@... <mailto:nmacken@...>/

        • Georgeiw@aol.com
          Message 4 of 7 , Apr 4, 2008
            Of course you can! Particularly when your kite breaks or the wind dies
            and you are just swimming. Be safe

            Sent from my iPhone

            On Mar 31, 2008, at 6:20 PM, "miquelor" <miquelor@...> wrote:

            > hey, anyone has had an encounter with a shark while kiting? the area
            > where i kite has tiger sharks, but im not sure if you could be
            > attacked
            > while kiting

          • Gary Brownless
            Message 5 of 7 , Apr 5, 2008
              Hiya

              If I recall correctly, there was a report about 2Y back regarding a kiter
              who had his board bitten by a great white off Durban (South Africa) during a
              down wind race - he survived with no injuries. If you have seen the video
              clips / foto's taken around Cape Agullas area of Great Whites attacking live
              seals and a dummy seal towed behind a ski-boat - then imagine how attractive
              a nice coloured board must look silhouetted against the surface with nice
              speed curves, or even better those nice yummy legs hanging down whilst body
              dragging towards yr board!!

              Good news is that they generally stay away from aerated water, so stay
              inside the surf zone and avoid drop-offs where they like to lurk waiting for
              the seals returning from feeding inside the surf zone.

              The kiters in Richards Bay, Durban, East London and Muizenburg for sure must
              have some experience with Da Whitey and may have some stories / tips.

              Cheers

              Gabe Le wrote:

              > mostly probably not attacked when kiting, but I can imagine sharks
              > could attack some butt which is hangin' too long in the water :D
              > kidding asside: while the rider is in water (mostly shallow, right?)
              > and sharks are near, anything can happen. These creatures are very
              > curious, and they react also to splashes (which kitesurfers do).
              >
              > I personally haven't heard yet of kitesurfers nor windsurfers being
              > attacked.
              > Nevertheless, knowing an area which HAS sharkies, I'd stay away from
              > there.
              >
              > Anybody else?
              >
              > Gabe
              >
              > miquelor <miquelor@... <mailto:miquelor%40yahoo.com>
              <mailto:miquelor%40yahoo.com>> wrote:
              > hey, anyone has had an encounter with a shark while kiting? the area
              > where i kite has tiger sharks, but im not sure if you could be attacked
              > while kiting

              */Niall Macken, /*/BSME, /

              /Senior Project Manager./

              */IDE Incorporated./*

              /Product Design & Development/

              /269 Mt. Hermon Road, Suite 206/

              /Scotts Valley, CA 95066/

              /USA/

              /831-438-2888 (Voice)/

              /831-438-5448 (Fax)/

              /www.ideinc.com/ <http://www.ideinc.com>

              /nmacken@... <mailto:%2Fnmacken%40ideinc.com>
              <mailto:nmacken@... <mailto:nmacken%40ideinc.com> >/

            • giannibiancolin
              Message 6 of 7 , Sep 5, 2008
                --- In kitesurf@yahoogroups.com, "Georgeiw@..." <georgeiw@...> wrote:

                > Of course you can! Particularly when your kite breaks or the wind
                dies
                > and you are just swimming. Be safe
                >

                > Sent from my iPhone
                >
                > On Mar 31, 2008, at 6:20 PM, "miquelor" <miquelor@...> wrote:
                >
                > > hey, anyone has had an encounter with a shark while kiting? the
                area
                > > where i kite has tiger sharks, but im not sure if you could be
                > > attacked
                > > while kiting

                This is what can happen kiteboarding whit shark.Follow the link

                http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nza6d7-8NDc&feature=related
              • The prophet
                Message 7 of 7 , Sep 28, 2008
                  Hi;

                  Does anyone know if you can use a Cabrinha Omega 2007 bar on a Gaatra
                  Jekyll 2008 kite? I've got an Omega and have just ordered up a Jekyll
                  but prefer the bar on the Omega.

                  Kris