Costa Rica

  • Marshall
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 26, 2008
      Cometa Copal

      Bahia Salinas isn't on too many Costa Rican maps but it is worth the trip to the Cometa
      Copal Kitesurfing school.

      My teenage daughter and I booked a trip during January 2008 with Bob Selfridge to kite
      there for four days. Jeff and Emily from Kitewindsurf in Oakland,CA had run the school
      during 2007 and gave us a thumbs up on Bob. We had some kiting skills but hadn't put it
      together on a board before. Nuclear wind kept us out of the water one day and the other
      three blew hard enough to keep most folks on 5's, 6's, and 7's. Apparently January is
      peak wind at Bahia Salinas. Almost 50 I have grown cautious but Bob's tips and fleet of
      Cabrinha kites proved safe even during those 30-40 MPH gusts which was a real
      confidence builder. With a side shore wind and beach about a mile long Bob's Cometa
      Copal operation is a great playground.

      The Cometa Copal band of kite launchers/catchers (thanks Francisco) helped me log some
      great runs and spend as much time on the water as I wanted to. Bob cares about all his
      guests and brings out their best. Bob and Rick raised my daughter's confidence and
      ability level way up despite not fully mastering the board.

      Jack Bushko just came on board from Bob's home shop in New Jersey, Island Surf and Sail,
      and looks like a great addition to the team. Thanks for the souvenir video Jack!

      A pretty low-key area at night but there were some pleasant surprises. Specifically, the
      guys we shared our house with, Sascha, Magnus, and Carl were great company whom
      we'd love to run into on another kiting adventure; Bob's wife Kirsten's Shiatsu massages;
      Andreas's Playa Copal restaurant that was within walking distance; Kent's hospitality and
      great barbecue; a low key energizing vibe; and great prices. This is not the Ritz or
      Bohemia but just the kite boarding immersion we were looking for.
      Marshall