Re: [ksurf] 10 years anniversary

  • Steve
    Message 1 of 16 , Jan 24, 2008
      Hi Hung and Group:
      What is left of it : )

      I got on board the summer of 1999. It had been many years since I had
      seen the Truck commercial with Cory Roessler water skiing down a canal
      being pulled by a big Delta Kite. I had been waiting ever since for
      this "kite skiing" thing to mature to the point that equipment would be
      available for purchase. When I saw some kite boarders on a TV show
      using Wipika Classic Kites I knew that the time had come. I took
      lessons and bought a kite within a couple of months. In the summer of 99
      the biggest kite I could buy was a Wipika Classic 8.5 , which was way
      too small for me. My bar was a home built 2 liner, a piece of sail
      board boom with a couple eye bolts on it. The safety system was a long
      leash that shortened one of the lines with a slip knot wrist strap. The
      board was a surfboard with 3 windsurf foot straps bolted on the deck.
      By the next summer I had converted the kite to 4 lines and had bought a
      Naish AR5 15.5.
      When I took my first lesson from Bruce at Sheldon Sails in the Delta he
      didn't know how to stay upwind yet.
      If I remember right, back then we could buy kites and lines but we were
      on our own for bars. Your site and this discussion group were
      invaluable. I am really glad that now I don't have to kludge up my own
      gear. It is really cool that the ideas we tossed around then have come
      to market. I don't spend even a fraction of the time now that I did
      then on line talking about it. These days it is all about doing it.
      The sport has matured. I don't follow any of the discussion groups any
      more. The only reason I am writing now is because this group gets to me
      passively. I almost never take the time to hit the Kite Forum. I only
      go there if I am trying to find out about something specific, like what
      kind of board to buy. I'm really glad it is there but since I don't
      subscribe to any of the topics currently it is outside of my awareness
      mostly.

      Happy Anniversary Everyone!

      Steve
      Carson City, Nevada, USA

      HungVu2000 wrote:

      > I went to Alexa and check the traffic pattern of kiteforum.com
      > http://www.alexa.com/data/details/traffic_details/kiteforum.com?q=
      > <http://www.alexa.com/data/details/traffic_details/kiteforum.com?q=> and
      > notice that the current traffic is on the downward trend. The peak was
      > in 2006/2007.
      >
      > Kitesurfing is now a mature sport so people is more interested in local
      > events as opposed to world wide events.
      >
      > Hung.

    • HungVu2000
      Message 2 of 16 , Jan 24, 2008
        Hi Josh and Steve,

        Glad to see that you guys are still with the group.

        I am no longer the moderator so I have no idea who is still reading the
        group. Maybe Tim or Tunico may know by checking the member database.

        I would be nice to know who is doing what now.

        As for me, I still kite fairly frequently (besides the daily 15-30
        minutes exercise, kiting keep me in good health) and operate a local
        kite school.

        Hung.

        OneWithWind@... wrote:

        >Hi Hung,
        > Are there many others of us who started out on the list still out there
        >reading it? Stephano used to have a web site about the first 30 of us with
        >little bio's so we could get to know each other better. I'd like to see that
        >again an see where in kiting they are now.
        >PEACE & WINDS
        > Josh Young
        > Onewithwind@...
        >

        >**************Start the year off right. Easy ways to stay in shape.
        >http://body.aol.com/fitness/winter-exercise?NCID=aolcmp00300000002489

      • rscxx
        Message 3 of 16 , Jan 24, 2008
          I dony know you all so much, but I subscribe to the site & like to hear whsayup. was at the dead bird in galveston. Now going to big island hawaii 1st feb, meet mi if u can!
          Dougie

          Message 4 of 16 , Jan 24, 2008
            Im flying a peter lynn 10m bomba red dont be shy..

            rscxx <rscxx@...> wrote: I dony know you all so much, but I subscribe to the site & like to hear whsayup. was at the dead bird in galveston. Now going to big island hawaii 1st feb, meet mi if u can!

            Message 5 of 16 , Jan 25, 2008
              I'm still reading although i didnt come on board as early as some of you?, Hung, Your advice ( and others here)helped me bigtime and I appreciate that, I got started on 'New Wave Concept air foils" and learned by myself on desert lakes in Arizona, Lots of us paid our dues learning on our own on equipment which was less then ideal and groups like this were our only contact, Nowadays equipment is so good in comparison the newbe's have no clue the dedication it took back then.
              ?Life keeps changing, I moved from the desert to the west coast and started www.Kiteworks.org? ( a Kite repair bussines) while kiting became a lifestyle rather than a sport for me , dealing with the meager winds in San Diego became more than I could deal with so I moved again to South Padre Island Texas , One of the USA's kiting destinations and still do kite repair but not like in San diego where I stayed much busier, now I am semi retired, Kiting everyday there is wind , surfing when there are waves and basically just loving life.
              Thanks to all you who helped change my life for the better.
              On another note, it seems to me with the better equipment these days people dont really look after each other on the water as much as they used to, an incident 3 weeks ago brought this home, the winds were light and my boyfriend and?I went to the flats to mess around with some older kites we hadnt used in a long time, just for something to do and to get wet, a few others were there but only one other getting set up. by the time I launched ,my boyfriend ( John) and Rob were on the water, I headed out going upwind of both when I noticed Robs kite on the water and john heading downwind towards him, I couldnt see Rob moving or trying to relaunch so I went downwind also, when I got there John was resusitating Rob , I went to shore to have someone call 911 and get more help out to John, Rob had a brain anurism, passed out and drowned, John revived him and He is now recovering from brain surgery, The point is, no matter what your skill level or what the conditions, S**T happens, look after your fellow kiters and keep a constant eye on anyone down on the water, take a minute to check them out, The life saved just might be yours !!
              Happy new year and happy tenth Kitesurf !!
              Denise

              OneWithWind@... wrote:

              >Hi Hung,
              > Are there many others of us who started out on the list still out there
              >reading it? Stephano used to have a web site about the first 30 of us with
              >little bio's so we could get to know each other better. I'd like to see that
              >again an see where in kiting they are now.
              >PEACE & WINDS
              > Josh Young
              > Onewithwind@...
              >

              >**************Start the year off right. Easy ways to stay in shape.
              >http://body.aol.com/fitness/winter-exercise?NCID=aolcmp00300000002489

            • Jake
              Message 6 of 16 , Jan 25, 2008
                Best wishes to Rob for a speedy recovery! Sounds like he was lucky to have
                you guys around.

                Happy 10th now go out and kite!

                _____

                rscxx <rscxx@yahoo. <mailto:rscxx%40yahoo.com> com> wrote: I dony know you

                OneWithWind@ <mailto:OneWithWind%40aol.com> aol.com wrote:

                >Hi Hung,
                > Are there many others of us who started out on the list still out there
                >reading it? Stephano used to have a web site about the first 30 of us with
                >little bio's so we could get to know each other better. I'd like to see
                that
                >again an see where in kiting they are now.
                >PEACE & WINDS
                > Josh Young
                > Onewithwind@ <mailto:Onewithwind%40aol.com> aol.com
                >

                >**************Start the year off right. Easy ways to stay in shape.
                >http://body.
                <http://body.aol.com/fitness/winter-exercise?NCID=aolcmp00300000002489>
                aol.com/fitness/winter-exercise?NCID=aolcmp00300000002489

              • Brown, Mike
                Message 7 of 16 , Jan 25, 2008
                  So I guess that makes me the other extreme. I joined a month or so ago.
                  I've never kitesurfed but want to learn. I purchased a Beamer 3.6 for a
                  trainer and I'm looking forward to getting on the water this spring or
                  summer.

                  Mike

                  wrote:
                  Hi Josh and Steve,

                  Glad to see that you guys are still with the group.

                  I am no longer the moderator so I have no idea who is still reading the
                  group. Maybe Tim or Tunico may know by checking the member database.

                  I would be nice to know who is doing what now.

                  As for me, I still kite fairly frequently (besides the daily 15-30
                  minutes exercise, kiting keep me in good health) and operate a local
                  kite school.

                  Hung.

                  OneWithWind@ <mailto:OneWithWind%40aol.com> aol.com wrote:

                  >Hi Hung,
                  > Are there many others of us who started out on the list still out
                  there
                  >reading it? Stephano used to have a web site about the first 30 of us
                  with
                  >little bio's so we could get to know each other better. I'd like to see
                  that
                  >again an see where in kiting they are now.
                  >PEACE & WINDS
                  > Josh Young
                  > Onewithwind@ <mailto:Onewithwind%40aol.com> aol.com
                  >

                  >**************Start the year off right. Easy ways to stay in shape.
                  >http://body.
                  <http://body.aol.com/fitness/winter-exercise?NCID=aolcmp00300000002489>
                  aol.com/fitness/winter-exercise?NCID=aolcmp00300000002489

                • loco4olas
                  Message 8 of 16 , Jan 30, 2008
                    Check out www.kiteforum.com too.

                    ************************

                    Message 9 of 16 , Jan 30, 2008
                      Alos check out
                      http://kitesurfingschool.org/kitesurfing.htm
                      Steve

                      Message 10 of 16 , Jan 31, 2008
                        Thanks for both links!

                        > So I guess that makes me the other extreme. I joined a month or so
                        ago.
                        > I've never kitesurfed but want to learn. I purchased a Beamer 3.6 for
                        > trainer and I'm looking forward to getting on the water this spring or
                        > summer.
                        >
                        > Mike
                        >
                        > From: kitesurf@yahoogroups.com <mailto:kitesurf%40yahoogroups.com>
                        <mailto:kitesurf%40yahoogroups.com>