Re: [ksurf] 10 years anniversary

  • HungVu2000
    Message 1 of 16 , Jan 23, 2008
      I haven't read the kitesurf group for a while and only read our local
      group (which is very active).

      I guess the sport is pretty mature now that the need to reach out and
      "touch" the rest of the world is not there anymore.

      Anyway, happy 10th anniversary everyone!

      Hung.

      loco4olas wrote:

      >Thanks for the reminder Hung-Yahoo kitesurf forum is a VERY lonely place nowadays.......
      >
      >************************

    • loco4olas
      Message 2 of 16 , Jan 23, 2008
        More likely the medium- www.kiteforum.com now fills the shoes of this group IMO.
        ************************

        loco4olas wrote:

        >Thanks for the reminder Hung-Yahoo kitesurf forum is a VERY lonely place nowadays.......
        >
        >************************

      • HungVu2000
        Message 3 of 16 , Jan 23, 2008
          I went to Alexa and check the traffic pattern of kiteforum.com
          http://www.alexa.com/data/details/traffic_details/kiteforum.com?q= and
          notice that the current traffic is on the downward trend. The peak was
          in 2006/2007.

          Kitesurfing is now a mature sport so people is more interested in local
          events as opposed to world wide events.

          Hung.

        • OneWithWind@aol.com
          Message 4 of 16 , Jan 24, 2008
            Hi Hung,
            Are there many others of us who started out on the list still out there
            reading it? Stephano used to have a web site about the first 30 of us with
            little bio's so we could get to know each other better. I'd like to see that
            again an see where in kiting they are now.
            PEACE & WINDS
            Josh Young
            Onewithwind@...

          • Steve
            Message 5 of 16 , Jan 24, 2008
              Hi Hung and Group:
              What is left of it : )

              I got on board the summer of 1999. It had been many years since I had
              seen the Truck commercial with Cory Roessler water skiing down a canal
              being pulled by a big Delta Kite. I had been waiting ever since for
              this "kite skiing" thing to mature to the point that equipment would be
              available for purchase. When I saw some kite boarders on a TV show
              using Wipika Classic Kites I knew that the time had come. I took
              lessons and bought a kite within a couple of months. In the summer of 99
              the biggest kite I could buy was a Wipika Classic 8.5 , which was way
              too small for me. My bar was a home built 2 liner, a piece of sail
              board boom with a couple eye bolts on it. The safety system was a long
              leash that shortened one of the lines with a slip knot wrist strap. The
              board was a surfboard with 3 windsurf foot straps bolted on the deck.
              By the next summer I had converted the kite to 4 lines and had bought a
              Naish AR5 15.5.
              When I took my first lesson from Bruce at Sheldon Sails in the Delta he
              didn't know how to stay upwind yet.
              If I remember right, back then we could buy kites and lines but we were
              on our own for bars. Your site and this discussion group were
              invaluable. I am really glad that now I don't have to kludge up my own
              gear. It is really cool that the ideas we tossed around then have come
              to market. I don't spend even a fraction of the time now that I did
              then on line talking about it. These days it is all about doing it.
              The sport has matured. I don't follow any of the discussion groups any
              more. The only reason I am writing now is because this group gets to me
              passively. I almost never take the time to hit the Kite Forum. I only
              go there if I am trying to find out about something specific, like what
              kind of board to buy. I'm really glad it is there but since I don't
              subscribe to any of the topics currently it is outside of my awareness
              mostly.

              Happy Anniversary Everyone!

              Steve
              Carson City, Nevada, USA

              HungVu2000 wrote:

              > I went to Alexa and check the traffic pattern of kiteforum.com
              > http://www.alexa.com/data/details/traffic_details/kiteforum.com?q=
              > <http://www.alexa.com/data/details/traffic_details/kiteforum.com?q=> and
              > notice that the current traffic is on the downward trend. The peak was
              > in 2006/2007.
              >
              > Kitesurfing is now a mature sport so people is more interested in local
              > events as opposed to world wide events.
              >
              > Hung.

            • HungVu2000
              Message 6 of 16 , Jan 24, 2008
                Hi Josh and Steve,

                Glad to see that you guys are still with the group.

                I am no longer the moderator so I have no idea who is still reading the
                group. Maybe Tim or Tunico may know by checking the member database.

                I would be nice to know who is doing what now.

                As for me, I still kite fairly frequently (besides the daily 15-30
                minutes exercise, kiting keep me in good health) and operate a local
                kite school.

                Hung.

                OneWithWind@... wrote:

                >Hi Hung,
                > Are there many others of us who started out on the list still out there
                >reading it? Stephano used to have a web site about the first 30 of us with
                >little bio's so we could get to know each other better. I'd like to see that
                >again an see where in kiting they are now.
                >PEACE & WINDS
                > Josh Young
                > Onewithwind@...
                >

                >**************Start the year off right. Easy ways to stay in shape.
                >http://body.aol.com/fitness/winter-exercise?NCID=aolcmp00300000002489

              • rscxx
                Message 7 of 16 , Jan 24, 2008
                  I dony know you all so much, but I subscribe to the site & like to hear whsayup. was at the dead bird in galveston. Now going to big island hawaii 1st feb, meet mi if u can!
                  Dougie

                  Message 8 of 16 , Jan 24, 2008
                    Im flying a peter lynn 10m bomba red dont be shy..

                    rscxx <rscxx@...> wrote: I dony know you all so much, but I subscribe to the site & like to hear whsayup. was at the dead bird in galveston. Now going to big island hawaii 1st feb, meet mi if u can!

                    Message 9 of 16 , Jan 25, 2008
                      I'm still reading although i didnt come on board as early as some of you?, Hung, Your advice ( and others here)helped me bigtime and I appreciate that, I got started on 'New Wave Concept air foils" and learned by myself on desert lakes in Arizona, Lots of us paid our dues learning on our own on equipment which was less then ideal and groups like this were our only contact, Nowadays equipment is so good in comparison the newbe's have no clue the dedication it took back then.
                      ?Life keeps changing, I moved from the desert to the west coast and started www.Kiteworks.org? ( a Kite repair bussines) while kiting became a lifestyle rather than a sport for me , dealing with the meager winds in San Diego became more than I could deal with so I moved again to South Padre Island Texas , One of the USA's kiting destinations and still do kite repair but not like in San diego where I stayed much busier, now I am semi retired, Kiting everyday there is wind , surfing when there are waves and basically just loving life.
                      Thanks to all you who helped change my life for the better.
                      On another note, it seems to me with the better equipment these days people dont really look after each other on the water as much as they used to, an incident 3 weeks ago brought this home, the winds were light and my boyfriend and?I went to the flats to mess around with some older kites we hadnt used in a long time, just for something to do and to get wet, a few others were there but only one other getting set up. by the time I launched ,my boyfriend ( John) and Rob were on the water, I headed out going upwind of both when I noticed Robs kite on the water and john heading downwind towards him, I couldnt see Rob moving or trying to relaunch so I went downwind also, when I got there John was resusitating Rob , I went to shore to have someone call 911 and get more help out to John, Rob had a brain anurism, passed out and drowned, John revived him and He is now recovering from brain surgery, The point is, no matter what your skill level or what the conditions, S**T happens, look after your fellow kiters and keep a constant eye on anyone down on the water, take a minute to check them out, The life saved just might be yours !!
                      Happy new year and happy tenth Kitesurf !!
                      Denise

                      OneWithWind@... wrote:

                      >Hi Hung,
                      > Are there many others of us who started out on the list still out there
                      >reading it? Stephano used to have a web site about the first 30 of us with
                      >little bio's so we could get to know each other better. I'd like to see that
                      >again an see where in kiting they are now.
                      >PEACE & WINDS
                      > Josh Young
                      > Onewithwind@...
                      >

                      >**************Start the year off right. Easy ways to stay in shape.
                      >http://body.aol.com/fitness/winter-exercise?NCID=aolcmp00300000002489

                    • Jake
                      Message 10 of 16 , Jan 25, 2008
                        Best wishes to Rob for a speedy recovery! Sounds like he was lucky to have
                        you guys around.

                        Happy 10th now go out and kite!

                        _____

                        rscxx <rscxx@yahoo. <mailto:rscxx%40yahoo.com> com> wrote: I dony know you

                        OneWithWind@ <mailto:OneWithWind%40aol.com> aol.com wrote:

                        >Hi Hung,
                        > Are there many others of us who started out on the list still out there
                        >reading it? Stephano used to have a web site about the first 30 of us with
                        >little bio's so we could get to know each other better. I'd like to see
                        that
                        >again an see where in kiting they are now.
                        >PEACE & WINDS
                        > Josh Young
                        > Onewithwind@ <mailto:Onewithwind%40aol.com> aol.com
                        >

                        >**************Start the year off right. Easy ways to stay in shape.
                        >http://body.
                        <http://body.aol.com/fitness/winter-exercise?NCID=aolcmp00300000002489>
                        aol.com/fitness/winter-exercise?NCID=aolcmp00300000002489

                      • Brown, Mike
                        Message 11 of 16 , Jan 25, 2008
                          So I guess that makes me the other extreme. I joined a month or so ago.
                          I've never kitesurfed but want to learn. I purchased a Beamer 3.6 for a
                          trainer and I'm looking forward to getting on the water this spring or
                          summer.

                          Mike

                          Message 12 of 16 , Jan 30, 2008
                            Check out www.kiteforum.com too.

                            ************************

                            Message 13 of 16 , Jan 30, 2008
                              Alos check out
                              http://kitesurfingschool.org/kitesurfing.htm
                              Steve

                              Message 14 of 16 , Jan 31, 2008
                                Thanks for both links!

                                > So I guess that makes me the other extreme. I joined a month or so
                                ago.
                                > I've never kitesurfed but want to learn. I purchased a Beamer 3.6 for
                                > trainer and I'm looking forward to getting on the water this spring or
                                > summer.
                                >
                                > Mike
                                >
                                > From: kitesurf@yahoogroups.com <mailto:kitesurf%40yahoogroups.com>
                                <mailto:kitesurf%40yahoogroups.com>