Re: Slingshot - Bladder Issues

  • Simon King
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 25, 2007
      For regluing valves to bladders (haven't had that problem though since my first kite in 2001) use a glue by McNett called SEAM GRIP. It's excellent stuff and glues almost anything to anything, have glued the neck back on my 20 yr old wetsuit, glued fairleads back into bars, fixed holes in shoes...

      For valve to bladder repair clean both as well as possible, apply the glue to both surfaces and press together. Leave weighted over night. What works well is a small diameter shot glass upside down over the valve with a couple of heavy books on top to press the base against the bladder. There are also self adhesive valves that may do the trick.

      seam grip also works for small holes and tears in bladders, just pool it on the hole and leave horizontal overnight.

      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 25, 2007
        Call Slingshot and find out if you have a kite from the batches which had bladder problems( find the serial number on the kite before you call), I have worked on several of these with poor results, the type of material used to make the bladder was changed by the factory for a time ( 2005-2006 ) and nothing sticks well to it, not aquaseal or seamgrip or stick on replacement valves.
        ?another solution is to buy an "Airtime brand bladder".
        Slingshot has a reputation for good kites and just might help you out if you contact them and discuss the problem.
        Slingshot support phone numbers >>>?
        1-877-775-4832 USA
        1-509-427-4950 INTL

        Denise

        For regluing valves to bladders (haven't had that problem though since my first kite in 2001) use a glue by McNett called SEAM GRIP. It's excellent stuff and glues almost anything to anything, have glued the neck back on my 20 yr old wetsuit, glued fairleads back into bars, fixed holes in shoes...

        For valve to bladder repair clean both as well as possible, apply the glue to both surfaces and press together. Leave weighted over night. What works well is a small diameter shot glass upside down over the valve with a couple of heavy books on top to press the base against the bladder. There are also self adhesive valves that may do the trick.

        seam grip also works for small holes and tears in bladders, just pool it on the hole and leave horizontal overnight.

      • Brian Wilson
        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 25, 2007
          My experience is that this is still a major problem in geographical areas that have constant warm temperatures like Fortaleza/Cumbuco in Northern Brazil (where they are experts at reattaching valves!)and Mozambique, where this occurs regardless of brand . In Cape Town, where we have quite a varying temperature, daily and seasonally, it is almost non-existent.

          Regards

          Brian

          Contact :: Suntrax, Bayside Centre, Cape Town, South Africa.
          Tel & Fax: +27 (0) 21 556 0044, Cell: 082 465 6696
          info@...
          www.suntrax.co.za