Slingshot - Bladder Issues

  • Gary Brownless
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 24, 2007
      Hi All
      So Sunday found new spot, no-one else in the water, nice butter water with 18k, pumped up the 2006 Slingshot 13, got organised into harness etc and went back to kite for self-launch - and Oh F---k, leading edge was flat. Pumped up again and had good listen and YES, leading edge bladder leaking from valve connection to strut.

      This was not the first such saga.

      So what is the score so-far - my 2005 size 11 slingshot lasted less than one year and I started getting leaks on bladders from the where the valve is "glued" onto the bladder. The 11 I hv replaced now all strut bladders due to this kind of leak - yes I do the usual BS with the contact adhesive and it never lasts.
      My 2006 9M has now just started the same crap.
      Tonight I pumped up the 2005 11M in case needed due to good looking forecast - and leading edge leaking, Pulled each connection to strut out and found ALL - IE 4 of valve connections to LE bladder disconnected IE "UNGLUED"

      The resultant frustration of repairs and a chilled bottle of fine Merlot Rose have driven me to this email and the proverbial question:

      WE CAN PUT MEN ON THE MOON, WE CAN DESIGN ALL THIS ELECTRONIC WHIZZ BANG STUFF, THE KITE DESIGNERS BRING OUT DIFFERENT SHAPES, VERSIONS, FABRICS, BARS, LINES, ETC -AND YET WE STILL CANNOT DESIGN A F----K--G BLADDER THAN WILL LAST A SEASON????

      My suspicious nature makes me think that bladders hv become the weak link in the kite to ensure regular income for the kite shops. The kites are now so good and long lasting that they had to design in a profit margin - hope I am wrong with this thought as it really goes against all that kiting is for.

      My old 16 Rhino 1 still has origonal bladders - now 7Y old, similar for my Tora 12. Pre 2005 my bladder issues were self inflicted due to the usual tree / bush impacts and now it is about obvious manufacturers defects or poor QC at the factory!!!

      From my side I am seriously considering looking for a new brand of kite based purely on bladder longetivity and bugger all the hype about how tough or how fast the kite turns. I am not that competative and would rather have a kite that works than a flat FL.

      How about yu guys?? Which kite has best bladders?? Am I the only fart in the wind, or are others also pissing off their wives with pumping kites in the lounge to hv a quiet listen for the hissss??

      Cheers
      Dundee in Cyprus.

      PS AS we kite most evenings, I generally only deflate the leading edge and keep struts inflated and kites in bags in the back of pick-up, ambient temperature in Cyprus quite high 35-40 deg C in summer. However would hope that kite designers have done extreme tests on bladders basis high / low ambients and expected life spans, etc.

    • crsaniv20y@aol.com
      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 24, 2007
        Flysurfer, Titan and Spirit. Never had a bladder problem. Had to wrap?my Titan?up quick the one time I needed to float/swim back to shore in Willoughby Spit ?Norfolk VA two years ago. Don't know that I would want to count on it as a life preserver here in Waianae Oahu, HI.

        Good luck with the bladders. I love my little 3.3 Slingshot trainer foil kite. I've taught hundreds of kids how to fly kites with that great kite. I've had that and still use it 5 years later. Never even broke a string with all those kids crashing little red. Slingshot knows how to build a great kite. Maybe they should farm out their bladders or get a different supplier if they already are already out sourcing that part of the job.

        Aloha, Tommy

          Message 4 of 6 , Sep 25, 2007
            For regluing valves to bladders (haven't had that problem though since my first kite in 2001) use a glue by McNett called SEAM GRIP. It's excellent stuff and glues almost anything to anything, have glued the neck back on my 20 yr old wetsuit, glued fairleads back into bars, fixed holes in shoes...

            For valve to bladder repair clean both as well as possible, apply the glue to both surfaces and press together. Leave weighted over night. What works well is a small diameter shot glass upside down over the valve with a couple of heavy books on top to press the base against the bladder. There are also self adhesive valves that may do the trick.

            seam grip also works for small holes and tears in bladders, just pool it on the hole and leave horizontal overnight.

            Message 5 of 6 , Sep 25, 2007
              Call Slingshot and find out if you have a kite from the batches which had bladder problems( find the serial number on the kite before you call), I have worked on several of these with poor results, the type of material used to make the bladder was changed by the factory for a time ( 2005-2006 ) and nothing sticks well to it, not aquaseal or seamgrip or stick on replacement valves.
              ?another solution is to buy an "Airtime brand bladder".
              Slingshot has a reputation for good kites and just might help you out if you contact them and discuss the problem.
              Slingshot support phone numbers >>>?
              1-877-775-4832 USA
              1-509-427-4950 INTL

              Denise

              For regluing valves to bladders (haven't had that problem though since my first kite in 2001) use a glue by McNett called SEAM GRIP. It's excellent stuff and glues almost anything to anything, have glued the neck back on my 20 yr old wetsuit, glued fairleads back into bars, fixed holes in shoes...

              For valve to bladder repair clean both as well as possible, apply the glue to both surfaces and press together. Leave weighted over night. What works well is a small diameter shot glass upside down over the valve with a couple of heavy books on top to press the base against the bladder. There are also self adhesive valves that may do the trick.

              seam grip also works for small holes and tears in bladders, just pool it on the hole and leave horizontal overnight.

            • Brian Wilson
              Message 6 of 6 , Sep 25, 2007
                My experience is that this is still a major problem in geographical areas that have constant warm temperatures like Fortaleza/Cumbuco in Northern Brazil (where they are experts at reattaching valves!)and Mozambique, where this occurs regardless of brand . In Cape Town, where we have quite a varying temperature, daily and seasonally, it is almost non-existent.

                Regards

                Brian

                Contact :: Suntrax, Bayside Centre, Cape Town, South Africa.
                Tel & Fax: +27 (0) 21 556 0044, Cell: 082 465 6696
                info@...
                www.suntrax.co.za