Re: 5th line again

  • jim cancil
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 17, 2007
      --- In kitesurf@yahoogroups.com, "rockhopper25" <rockhopper25@...> wrote:

      > Hi guys thanks very much to everyone who has helped with this.
      >
      > can i just ask though should my 5th line connect to the leading edge on
      > a short piece of line or as I have at the moment a 6 ft length of line
      > with several knots it seems too long as it is but it does fly

      .........the reason for the long line is when a 5M C-kite is measured from top-center to a
      point equal to the front/back lines ...it measures: X ...and the 5th line off the bar connects
      to it. ...No problem so far.

      Move that same bar to a 16M ...and oooops!? If you don't have a lot longer line from the
      center of the 16 ..there's no connection. When I made my own, I would simply have a
      specific bar/lineset for a given kite - then I could make the 5th line from the bar as long
      as I wanted/needed. I liked to cleat the 5th on the bar so I could adjust it. ..and there was
      a way you could run it from the kite - to the chicken loop - back to a cleat on the bar to
      make it dynamic.

      I flew my 06 Rhino 12 yesterday and the setting for the 5th was just so - no slack/no pull.
      All my homemade versions flew with some slack. I suspect North found that the 5th also
      helps retain the shape. If you ever get a chance to get one cheap - grab it! It is one
      Jumping Fool's kite.

      If your line from the kite is really flying slack - like bowing waaay back from the front
      lines, then it is probably too long or your lineset is not matched to that kite. Tweak it -
      see what happens....