5th line again

  • rockhopper25
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 17, 2007
      Hi guys thanks very much to everyone who has helped with this.

      can i just ask though should my 5th line connect to the leading edge on
      a short piece of line or as I have at the moment a 6 ft length of line
      with several knots it seems too long as it is but it does fly
    • jim cancil
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 17, 2007
        --- In kitesurf@yahoogroups.com, "rockhopper25" <rockhopper25@...> wrote:

        > Hi guys thanks very much to everyone who has helped with this.
        >
        > can i just ask though should my 5th line connect to the leading edge on
        > a short piece of line or as I have at the moment a 6 ft length of line
        > with several knots it seems too long as it is but it does fly

        .........the reason for the long line is when a 5M C-kite is measured from top-center to a
        point equal to the front/back lines ...it measures: X ...and the 5th line off the bar connects
        to it. ...No problem so far.

        Move that same bar to a 16M ...and oooops!? If you don't have a lot longer line from the
        center of the 16 ..there's no connection. When I made my own, I would simply have a
        specific bar/lineset for a given kite - then I could make the 5th line from the bar as long
        as I wanted/needed. I liked to cleat the 5th on the bar so I could adjust it. ..and there was
        a way you could run it from the kite - to the chicken loop - back to a cleat on the bar to
        make it dynamic.

        I flew my 06 Rhino 12 yesterday and the setting for the 5th was just so - no slack/no pull.
        All my homemade versions flew with some slack. I suspect North found that the 5th also
        helps retain the shape. If you ever get a chance to get one cheap - grab it! It is one
        Jumping Fool's kite.

        If your line from the kite is really flying slack - like bowing waaay back from the front
        lines, then it is probably too long or your lineset is not matched to that kite. Tweak it -
        see what happens....