[ksurf] Re: 5th line help required

  • jim cancil
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 15, 2007
      Brian: I'm a little late to the conversation, but only the four primary lines (front/backs)
      should be the same length ( find a very strong nail and rig your harness to make sure they
      are.. generally, you'll want the bar about centered on the depower line with them all equal
      .. and switch your backs for the fronts if there are ANY nicks/abrasions/knots on the
      fronts)

      The 5th attachment should be at the front edge of the kite. In the old days when we made
      our own, we tied them off anywhere we could - with lesser results. The line coming off
      the kite is - specific to the kite - so you can move the bar/lineset over to another kite
      without the 5th line from the bar being too long/short. The knots are there to
      accomidate adjustments. The elastic is also there so you do not tension the line as you
      pull the bar back - that's a modern improvement to us made-our-own types. You do not
      want the 5th to tighten as you pull in the bar for full power - because that will depower it.
      (A good way to wait out a gust is to grab a handfull of 5th to pull the nose over a 'little' to
      spill some pressure.) Use the knots to allow the 5th line to slack off ..maybe 6" but not
      too much as it will wander around.

      A 5th line can save your ass. New people don't know about size/wind speed and can get
      their butts kicked when the wind kicks up. Double the velocity = 4X the power. ..10mph
      headed to 20 can kill you on a 16. If you are in a place where it's gusty, a 5th line can
      hold a lot of tension when you drop the kite for safety - wear gloves if it's gusty - because
      a thin line under tension can easily cut your hands.

      In light air, the 5th can make a kite launchable whereas the old 4-lines would never come
      off the water. It will pull it flat on the water so you can grab the rear line and guide the
      kite over to the edge for relaunch.

      j i m