RE: [ksurf] Re: kitesurfing in Curacao

  • Fabiana Iraci
    Message 1 of 9 , Jun 2, 2007
      Hi Paul,
      I go to Coche at least once a month, is where i learned kitesurfing and its a great place for kiting, i might go in a couple weekends, let me know when you and your family are going and we can meet there!
      chao !

      Paul Tae <ptae@...> wrote:
      I haven't gone to Bonaire but I did go to Aruba 3 years ago.  I rented a car to have flexibility in where I could kite.  I kited once just north of fisherman's huts which is just north of Palm Beach.  This is near where all the windsurfers are.  It is an offshore breeze and very gusty close to shore.  Once you get out there I think it is good but you better hope that the wind doesn't die.  Maybe they have a rescue service now like in Coche.
          The rest of the trip I drove to the other end of the island at Boca Grandi.  It took about 40 minutes to get ther from where I was staying at Eagle Beach.  The wind was lighter here and I had wish I had brought a bigger kite than my Fuel 13m.  I would suggest bringing a bigger kite but I may have just been unlucky.  Boca Grandi has beautiful and is crescent shaped with an onshore breeze.  There is a coral reef which is so shallow there is no chance to sail out over it so you have to stay in the bay.
          Bonaire seems promising from my research.  I just went to Margarita Island and Coche in March.  I wouldn't recommend Margarita for kiting but Coche was great!  Completely flat water with steady wind right at the shore.  If you have a breakage (which I did) or can't get back to shore for any reason, the local fisherman with rescue you for 15,000 Bolivares which is about $5 US.  Well worth it.  There are two resorts right on the beach.  Next time I might take my family too.
          When are you thiniking of going?