Re: 16m Bow-kite & Wind Speed Inquiry

  • jim cancil
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 1 5:47 AM
      --- In kitesurf@yahoogroups.com, Jean-Sébastien Bouffard <jeanbouffard@...> wrote:

      > Hey
      >
      > I'm wondering what is the minimum and maximum kts of wind for a 16m
      > Bow kite. I'm waiting for 10kts of wind speed before going out for the
      > first time.

      .............Answer is a question: How many times have you been out? If more than two
      years and you make good jumps and transitions then the maximum is fairly high ...same
      thing: better kiters can milk a kite like a dry goat - new people cannot. Another part of
      the answer is: How heavy are you? 100kg is a LOT different than 60.

      Could I go with less than 10kts of wind? Would it be
      > recommended for a first-time user to go with a lower wind speed than
      > 10kts?

      .............Again depends on weight and skill. It almost the same with a bicycle: it is very
      difficult to ride slow. You need a nice, casual wind without 100% gusts - 10kts may be OK
      - so you have the time to get the feel. Make sure you are somewhere where you can walk
      back upwind if you are fairly new. We all have done it ..with a big smile on our face. Bon
      chance.

      j i m

    • Jean-Sébastien Bouffard
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 1 6:15 AM
        Hey Jim

        Thanks for the reply, my current position is as follows. I'm new to
        the sport of Kitesurfing. I've only been out once in winter on a
        snowboard. I weigh about 165lbs which converts to about 75kg.
      • jim cancil
        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 1 3:53 PM
          --- In kitesurf@yahoogroups.com, Jean-Sébastien Bouffard <jeanbouffard@...> wrote:

          > Hey Jim
          >
          > Thanks for the reply, my current position is as follows. I'm new to
          > the sport of Kitesurfing. I've only been out once in winter on a
          > snowboard. I weigh about 165lbs which converts to about 75kg.

          .........then, totally forget days when you see whitecaps for a while: that is a big kite for a
          newbie at 75kg. (I'm 90kg and have a Contra 14 as a big kite ..got rid of 18's, 20's ..and
          16-C's are next to go)

          Forget about wind speeds you hear on the radio: look for water that is not 'glossy'...but
          not yet white-tiped ...matte grey is a good starting point. Do not attempt if you can hear
          common sounds from 1/4-1/2mi away - wind is too light.

          But most important: find someone to give you lessons - a real instructor, not a friend who
          may not be much more expirenced than you. In some respects I think a Bow kite is more
          dangerous than a 'scary' 4-line. There is an illusion that a Bow is safer, giving you the
          false confidence to fly it in conditons you would not a 4-line. Good luck..and have fun,
          but stay safe first.

          j i m
        • Jean-Sébastien Bouffard
          Message 4 of 5 , Jun 1 4:23 PM
            Hey Jim

            Thanks for the information you provided. That gives me an idea of what
            to look for in wind conditions. I will have the opportunity to ride
            with an experience trainer, and I have previously received lessons in
            the winter.
            For sure safety first, I ask theses questions to build a knowledge
            base of the sport to avoid accidents.

            Once again thank you for taking the time to provide me with information.

            Jean.