16m Bow-kite & Wind Speed Inquiry

  • Jean-Sébastien Bouffard
    Message 1 of 5 , May 31 12:29 PM
      Hey

      I'm wondering what is the minimum and maximum kts of wind for a 16m
      Bow kite. I'm waiting for 10kts of wind speed before going out for the
      first time. Could I go with less than 10kts of wind? Would it be
      recommended for a first-time user to go with a lower wind speed than
      10kts?

      Thanks.
      Jean
    • jim cancil
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 1, 2007
        --- In kitesurf@yahoogroups.com, Jean-Sébastien Bouffard <jeanbouffard@...> wrote:

        > Hey
        >
        > I'm wondering what is the minimum and maximum kts of wind for a 16m
        > Bow kite. I'm waiting for 10kts of wind speed before going out for the
        > first time.

        .............Answer is a question: How many times have you been out? If more than two
        years and you make good jumps and transitions then the maximum is fairly high ...same
        thing: better kiters can milk a kite like a dry goat - new people cannot. Another part of
        the answer is: How heavy are you? 100kg is a LOT different than 60.

        Could I go with less than 10kts of wind? Would it be
        > recommended for a first-time user to go with a lower wind speed than
        > 10kts?

        .............Again depends on weight and skill. It almost the same with a bicycle: it is very
        difficult to ride slow. You need a nice, casual wind without 100% gusts - 10kts may be OK
        - so you have the time to get the feel. Make sure you are somewhere where you can walk
        back upwind if you are fairly new. We all have done it ..with a big smile on our face. Bon
        chance.

        j i m

      • Jean-Sébastien Bouffard
        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 1, 2007
          Hey Jim

          Thanks for the reply, my current position is as follows. I'm new to
          the sport of Kitesurfing. I've only been out once in winter on a
          snowboard. I weigh about 165lbs which converts to about 75kg.
        • jim cancil
          Message 4 of 5 , Jun 1, 2007
            --- In kitesurf@yahoogroups.com, Jean-Sébastien Bouffard <jeanbouffard@...> wrote:

            > Hey Jim
            >
            > Thanks for the reply, my current position is as follows. I'm new to
            > the sport of Kitesurfing. I've only been out once in winter on a
            > snowboard. I weigh about 165lbs which converts to about 75kg.

            .........then, totally forget days when you see whitecaps for a while: that is a big kite for a
            newbie at 75kg. (I'm 90kg and have a Contra 14 as a big kite ..got rid of 18's, 20's ..and
            16-C's are next to go)

            Forget about wind speeds you hear on the radio: look for water that is not 'glossy'...but
            not yet white-tiped ...matte grey is a good starting point. Do not attempt if you can hear
            common sounds from 1/4-1/2mi away - wind is too light.

            But most important: find someone to give you lessons - a real instructor, not a friend who
            may not be much more expirenced than you. In some respects I think a Bow kite is more
            dangerous than a 'scary' 4-line. There is an illusion that a Bow is safer, giving you the
            false confidence to fly it in conditons you would not a 4-line. Good luck..and have fun,
            but stay safe first.

            j i m
          • Jean-Sébastien Bouffard
            Message 5 of 5 , Jun 1, 2007
              Hey Jim

              Thanks for the information you provided. That gives me an idea of what
              to look for in wind conditions. I will have the opportunity to ride
              with an experience trainer, and I have previously received lessons in
              the winter.
              For sure safety first, I ask theses questions to build a knowledge
              base of the sport to avoid accidents.

              Once again thank you for taking the time to provide me with information.

              Jean.