Re: [ksurf] Re: Newbie Question on Kite to Buy (Big Air)

  • Philip Mein
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 11 4:46 AM
      thanks for the insights.  i hope to have a kite in the next 3 weeks.  i have a practice kite on the way.  with the wind here i will probably be looking at 14m or 16m kite.

      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 11 10:58 AM
        More helpful advice, thanks

        Just some additional notes on my end:
        1.  The wind speed is average but it is not going to be uncommon to hit the 20+ range here it is just not an everday event.  Most are of the 10-15 days and fewer the 7-10.  On light days I can revert back to skydiving and wakeboarding since these will be better.

        2.  Agree on lessons but it is going to be a location and availability thing here so chances aren't real great.

        3.  No chance to lose much weight.  I am 6'2 and the weight isn't much fat (i'll just have to hold out for windy days).

        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 12 9:05 AM
          > Just some additional notes on my end:

          > 1. The wind speed is average but it is not going to be uncommon to hit the 20+ range
          here it is just not an everday event. Most are of the 10-15 days and fewer the 7-10. On
          light days I can revert back to skydiving and wakeboarding since these will be better.

          ...........Hell, you're Wired. Make it a rule: Unless you see small whitecaps - stay dry. That
          9yr. old, 85lbs kid may rip it - you won't.

          > 2. Agree on lessons but it is going to be a location and availability thing here so
          chances aren't real great.

          ............And that's a problem. Everything I've said here could be 90% smoke coming out
          my ass ..but lessons can not only accelerate your progress but potentially save you from
          some painful lessons.

          > 3. No chance to lose much weight. I am 6'2 and the weight isn't much fat (i'll just have
          to hold out for windy days).

          ............Know what you mean. I aways felt great in the Army - and in bars - having some
          size. I wish I could have peeled off 50lbs and 6" when I started surfing. All those little
          wizzers seemed to have perfect balance and speed in our small waves. ..oh well.

          BE careful.

          j i m

          ....Cheers all. I have to pretend I have a business to run!