Re: Newbie Question on Kite to Buy (Big Air)

  • Zriik
    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 10 8:31 PM
      Im a beginner also, heres what Im doing; So far Iv bought 2 kites,
      both Peter Lynn Bombas. Both bought new at close -out. 1 is a 10m I
      got last year, I forget the price, but approx $400, the other, I just
      got is a 17m for $175 at closeout. Iv been teaching myself to fly the
      10m using handles which a friend gave me after he switched to a bar
      with his 3m power kite. I like these handles because the kite is not
      attached to me, (theyr a great work out too)so when the wind gusts if
      its too much, it pulls a handle out of my hand instead of pulling me
      into the air as a bar cliped to my waist might. As Iv been getting
      better (Its a long process for me as I dont get out often) I take the
      kite out in stronger winds, and last time I made a small jump. Soon Im
      thinking to put on my roller blades and try riding arround a little.
      Iv not been in the water yet with the kite, but I live in NYC and its
      been cold lately..
      The Peter Lynn kites are twin skin, 4 line kites inflated by the wind
      going into its vents, so no pump, and no leaks! And my 10m is tough,
      whenever Im out I hammer it 'cause I just lose control sometimes. it
      hits the ground hard, but no wear or breakage as yet. Im impressed.
      Also, it fits in a small backpack which is great for the subway and is
      light weight.
      Anyone have an old board theyre done with? Id like a larger one
      good luck

      --- In kitesurf@yahoogroups.com, "kc_philipm" <kc_philipm@...> wrote:

      > I have been a wakeboarder for 10+ years and would like to try
      > kiteboarding. I am interest is in jumping and have been looking
      > around ebay for a kite to buy so my question is which brand and
      model
      > would fit this use? The winds I would be looking at are between 8-
      > 15mph on most days and I way around 205lbs. thanks

    • llissauer
      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 11 6:08 AM
        Wow! Heavy dude wants to kite in very light wind. (Or my conversions
        are wrong: You are 92 kg and want to sail in 7-13 knots?)
        I have a few advices for you:
        Stick to wakeboarding -or-
        Find a windier place -or-
        If you don't want to move and really really want to kiteboard:
        Buy a big board (I'd recommend a Liquid Force Mission
        (http://www.liquidforcekites.com/images/boards_mission144.jpg) for a
        wake-style rider of your size or an even bigger board for the winds <
        10 knots.
        And for the kite I am afraid that you'll have to resort to a big
        monster like the Flysurfer Speed 2
        19m²(http://www.flysurfer.com/Content/303/?mnid=1059)

        --- In kitesurf@yahoogroups.com, "kc_philipm" <kc_philipm@...> wrote:

        > I have been a wakeboarder for 10+ years and would like to try
        > kiteboarding. I am interest is in jumping and have been looking
        > around ebay for a kite to buy so my question is which brand and model
        > would fit this use? The winds I would be looking at are between 8-
        > 15mph on most days and I way around 205lbs. thanks

      • jim cancil
        Message 3 of 9 , Apr 11 9:00 AM
          I'll pipe in because I'm your size (and a few years ahead) ...and jumping is probably the
          most fun - including jumping waves - thing you can do out there.

          1. You're simply too heavy to jump much beyond bunny hops in those conditions. You'd
          need winds into the low-20's to ramp up. ..maybe if you lost 60lbs.

          It's simple physics compounded by your inexperience and the fact that a kite is more like
          an overpowered airplane flown by a maniac chimp than your normal skiboat tow. The
          advantage you have over others: you know what the board feels like - but that's the easy
          bit.

          2. Your best kites are 12 thru 16's. Don't get suckered into lumbering 18 - 20's that
          overpower easily, or oddball designs/brands that you need to join a cult to fly. (..former
          18 and 20's user and cult member here)

          There is an argument about whether C-kites or Bows jump better ...but the later versions
          of both, depower well and relaunch well. Stick with one of the top brands. I personally
          have found North over the years to be the most linear in their progress but also fly Naish
          and RRD.

          3. There is NO substitute for lessons. God ..how much time I wasted teaching myself.
          And I'm damn lucky that all I did early was eat a lot of water. I did have a line nearly
          remove a finger (perm.nerve/vascular damage) last year in the surf - but that was my
          fault. Being stoopid: trying to kite in too light air. And, I knew better...

          4. Used gear can be great. Initailly, make sure it is complete and less than a couple of
          seasons old. Make sure you search the fourms for upgrades and tweaks: all brands see to
          get further development in the field. Your wakeboard probably has too much rocker to be
          useful here. I'd take lessons on instructor's gear before you buy.

          ...going somewhere for 4-5days: Hattteras, Cabarete, SPI ...is probably the best way to get
          this fixed in your bone marrow.

          j i m

          > I have been a wakeboarder for 10+ years and would like to try
          > kiteboarding. I am interest is in jumping and have been looking
          > around ebay for a kite to buy so my question is which brand and model
          > would fit this use? The winds I would be looking at are between 8-
          > 15mph on most days and I way around 205lbs. thanks

        • Lex Lissauer
          Message 4 of 9 , Apr 11 10:36 AM
            Hi Jim,

            I like your writing style. And I feel compelled to react.

            "You're simply too heavy to jump much beyond bunny hops in those conditions." - I clearly disagree with that. With the equipment I recommend (high) jumping IS possible in these conditions. Especially raileys and backloops, also unhooked, because this kite generates speed and that is what is needed more than lift. The disadvantages are the price of the kite and that it will be slow steering. As this man wants to sail wakeboard style, the latter is no problem, for this you don't need a fast steering kite, in the contrary.
            "Don't get suckered into lumbering 18 - 20's that overpower easily" - The kite I recommended has a big power range  (see: http://www.flysurfer.com/images/content/2006_11/windbereich_speed2.gif).
            I agree on points 3 & 4 totally. If you can afford it, go to a windy location and take a weak at least to learn kitesurfing there. Personally I recommend Ceará Brasil (just don't go in March or April) as it is the most wind-certain spot I know.

            "I personally have found North over the years to be the most linear in their progress but also fly Naish and RRD. "
            You are the first person with a mixed quiver Naish/North. So I see you are really anti-cult. I think North's reputation and marketing are better than their kites, especially concerning robustness. But I cherish your healthy opportunism above loyalty to brand. You set a good example.

            I fly Best Waroo myself (which is the cult kite on this forum is my impression). My largest kite is 12 m² and I am not considering buying anything bigger, but I weight 72 kg and we have 20+ knots wind often here in Holland.

            Good luck and happy kiting.

            Message 5 of 9 , Apr 12 8:51 AM
              Lex: Thanks. Good point on the wake-style moves: I didn't think about them. I don't do
              low, high-speed moves because almost everytime I've tried, I either bugger my Rotator
              Cuff or otherwise damage my self esteem. I prefer to 'reach for the sky'. I 'm afraid of
              heights and find this as thrilling as a carnival ride. As a surfer first, there is nothing more
              thrilling that using the face of a wave to 'ramp' off ..and, of course, to NOT have to paddle
              like a wheezing fool to get outside ..is a big bonus.

              I've had two or three Best kites. They not only had a two-for-one program a few years
              ago, but good journeyman kites. I backed away from them because of some of their
              objectification of women and somewhat hats-on-sideways attitude. I just didn't feel that
              they were a group I would want to hang with. Shannon seems great in his schooling vids
              and I met Peter Stewie (apology for spelling) in Cabarete..but. The early Waroos I saw
              seemed to be too active in the air; recent ones look good.

              Brazil is a stretch for me - mentally even. I can speak a bit of Spanish and Cabarete is only
              1.5hrs from Miami, so it seems close. I guess everything is a distance for you - plus you
              euros don't seem to fear travel as much as we Yanks. ...and you take more time off!

              Kite brand-loyalty was simply earned. The maybe seven Norths I've had never presented a
              problem, but then perhaps I don't kite them hard enough ..ala wake-style ..to have had a
              problem. I found the Euro kites like Takoon and GK to be built a little lighter built ..but
              RRd perhaps the best, underrepresented brand in the US. I wished Takoon was again sold
              in the US. ...the profits would not go to Bush.

              ....and Lex, whenever I see one of those beach cams over by you: it 'always' seems to be
              blowing. It probably would have kept me off the kites. We can get some fairly seady SW at
              about 12-15kts ...light onshore in Summer and gusty N/NW into the low 20's when cold
              fronts come thru, so it's pretty nice from May-November. Good luck to you - nice chat.

              J i m