[ksurf] kites, windsurfers and airplanes

  • Cory Roeseler
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 4, 1998
      Hi Tomoko,

      Thanks much for the news. I too am worried about the possibility that kites
      will be banned from the North Shore of Maui. I was warned by the FAA when I
      first kiteskied at Kanaha in 1993. Now, I feel it is as important as ever
      to be courteous and safe when operating in crowded air space.

      I guess we are lucky with 100 miles of Gorge to spread out and play on the
      Columbia. But for the kitesailors on Maui, I can only hope that common
      sense and the common love for the air and water space will keep the pilots
      and sailors at peace. There is certainly motivation to do so, with all the
      excitement focused on kites lately.

      The following is a section I pulled from the FAA site
      http://www.faa.gov/avr/afshome.htm. Perhaps you would like to bring it to
      the meeting tonite.

      Sec. 101.13 Operating limitations.
      (a) Except as provided in paragraph (b) of this section, no person may
      operate a moored balloon or kite--
      (1) Less than 500 feet from the base of any cloud;
      (2) More than 500 feet above the surface of the earth;
      (3) From an area where the ground visibility is less than three miles;
      or
      (4) Within five miles of the boundary of any airport.
      (b) Paragraph (a) of this section does not apply to the operation of a
      balloon or kite below the top of any structure and within 250 feet of it,
      if
      that shielded operation does not obscure any lighting on the structure.

      Best wind and good luck in the contest,

      Cory