Now, that is depowering!

  • Hung Vu
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 15, 2007
      I went out in a blizzard today with the Waroo 5m.

      Made a jump, crashed and when I looked for the kite, it was straight
      down wind and started climbing up across the power zone. I quickly let
      go of the bar and expected the kite to pull me somewhat. Nothing! The
      kite just sort of "moved" across the power zone and barely pulled me
      even 1 inch.

      Now that is depowering and I assumed all other flat kites, SLE, bow,
      etc. are similar.

      With such depowering capacity I would assume that once one learns how to
      "let go of the bar", accident would be drastically reduced?

      Hung.
    • jim cancil
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 16, 2007
        ........aside from the question of your sanity: jumping over frozen ground. (I can't ever
        remember thinking I wanted to jump my iceboat when I lived in Wisconsin...) Mike was
        100% on it: almost NOBODY lets go of the bar.

        Somehow it's counterintutive? Rick Iossi, as an engineer, should do some research into
        why almost everone seems to have their hands on the bar when their head come into
        contact with solid surfaces.

        I suspect there may be a mental link between the bar and the chicken loop. Perhaps
        knowing you are connected in a fairly permanent sense - there's a reluctance to let go of
        the last bit of potential control you think you have.... D'no?

        Having flown 2, 3, 4, 5-line + a Naish Shockwave Bow/SLE kite: either 5-line or Bows are
        HEADS over all the rest in safety. However, the safety problem - in my belief - is mainly
        between the ears. In almost every one of Rick's post mortem postings; I wonder "What the
        hell was he thinking?!". Sometimes, like drinking/driving, it seem sooo obvious.

        ..not that I have not earned a spot in the next Jackass movie - and have nerve damage of a
        finger on the right hand to show for it. Cheers all - stay safe.

        j i m