Re: [ksurf] Harness loops not a good idea?

  • jim cancil
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 30, 2007
      --- In kitesurf@yahoogroups.com, Hung Vu <hungvu2000@...> wrote:

      > Most modern kiter don't use fixed loop as modern kite are so well-tuned
      > for chicken loop.
      >
      > The fixed loop maybe still useful in light wind.

      ..........I'll second what Hung has said. Plus, it appears that the 'modern' version of this fixed
      loop are the various balls and stoppers put above the bar on the centerline so you can ride-
      the-stopper and ease some of the pressure on your arms. Stopper are probably a good bit
      safer as that loop does not disengage well/as easily. I have '06 Naish system and North
      systems and they're a helluva improvement.

      j i m
    • M Silva
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 30, 2007
        Re: [ksurf] Harness loops not a good idea? On my custom bar, I have both an adjustable stopper, and a fixed bar loop. I find that the stopper is better to steer with, and have some range of power/depower at whatever length you want it at. However, when I hook in to the bar loop, and I crash and I’m very powered up, it’s MUCH easier to quickly put my hand down by the harness hook, and slip the bar loop off the hook, where the bar then slides all the way up to full depower; with a stopper ball, it’s not so easy to do that, though I’ve heard there are “push through” stoppers out there; don’t think I’d try a dead mans hang with one though.

        Mykl

        --

        The more people I meet, the more I like my dog.

        On 1/30/07 10:19 AM, "jim cancil" <wetstuff@...> wrote:

        --- In kitesurf@yahoogroups.com <mailto:kitesurf%40yahoogroups.com> , Hung Vu <hungvu2000@...> wrote:

        > Most modern kiter don't use fixed loop as modern kite are so well-tuned
        > for chicken loop.
        >
        > The fixed loop maybe still useful in light wind.

        ..........I'll second what Hung has said.  Plus, it appears that the 'modern' version of this fixed
        loop are the various balls and stoppers put above the bar on the centerline so you can ride-
        the-stopper and ease some of the pressure on your arms.  Stopper are probably a good bit
        safer as that loop does not disengage well/as easily.   I have '06 Naish system and North
        systems and they're a helluva improvement.

        j i m
      • hungvuatnetcomdotca
        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 31, 2007
          Interesting comment!

          Sounds like the stopper ball is more dangerous than the fixed loop
          (especially for flat LEI).

          Maybe for flat LEI, kiter should not use the stopper ball and use the
          fixed loop instead?

          Hung.

          --- In kitesurf@yahoogroups.com, M Silva <teklife@...> wrote:

          > On my custom bar, I have both an adjustable stopper, and a fixed bar
          loop. I
          > find that the stopper is better to steer with, and have some range of
          > power/depower at whatever length you want it at. However, when I
          hook in to
          > the bar loop, and I crash and I¹m very powered up, it¹s MUCH easier to
          > quickly put my hand down by the harness hook, and slip the bar loop
          off the
          > hook, where the bar then slides all the way up to full depower; with a
          > stopper ball, it¹s not so easy to do that, though I¹ve heard there
          are ³push
          > through² stoppers out there; don¹t think I¹d try a dead mans hang
          with one
          > though.
          >
          > Mykl
          >
          > --
          >
          > The more people I meet, the more I like my dog.
          >

          > On 1/30/07 10:19 AM, "jim cancil" <wetstuff@...> wrote:
          >

          > > --- In kitesurf@yahoogroups.com
          <mailto:kitesurf%40yahoogroups.com> , Hung Vu

          > > ..........I'll second what Hung has said. Plus, it appears that
          the 'modern'
          > > version of this fixed
          > > loop are the various balls and stoppers put above the bar on the
          centerline so
          > > you can ride-
          > > the-stopper and ease some of the pressure on your arms. Stopper
          are probably
          > > a good bit
          > > safer as that loop does not disengage well/as easily. I have '06
          Naish
          > > system and North
          > > systems and they're a helluva improvement.
          > >
          > > j i m

        • mikefr100
          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 31, 2007
            ..." Stopper are probably a good bit safer as that loop does not
            disengage well/as easily. I have '06 Naish system and North
            > systems and they're a helluva improvement."...

            Yea, the accidental engaging issue is probably my biggest complaint. I
            had it rehook when I was bringing the kite down on the beach. That was
            the one time when it repowered on me. I let the control bar go but I
            ended up flying about 100' further than I intended that day!
          • jim cancil
            Message 5 of 7 , Feb 1, 2007
              --- In kitesurf@yahoogroups.com, "hungvuatnetcomdotca" <hungvu2000@...> wrote:

              > Interesting comment!
              >
              > Sounds like the stopper ball is more dangerous than the fixed loop
              > (especially for flat LEI).
              >
              > Maybe for flat LEI, kiter should not use the stopper ball and use the
              > fixed loop instead?

              ..............don't think so! 90%$ of the Bow I see are flown with one foot on the brake;
              feathered rather than powered half the time. Hook into a fixed loop and you've got no
              brakes. ..and looking down to disconnect a fixed loop..or anything for that matter, is
              counter intutive. Hell, just getting people to LET GO of the bar when they're in the Brown
              seems almost impossible to teach.

              On the Naish the stopper is not only adjustable - for arm lenght comfort - but has two
              diffferent (on my Shockwave) little 'balls-not-exactly'. One is for a light pressure (relative)
              push-thru and the other for a heavier press-thru. Yet, I still prefer a new C-kite with a 5th
              line to these first gen. Bows. I will however order one of Bruno's new designs from Indo
              when they become available. From what I can see; that design holds real promise.

              I'm looking forward to another season! Stay safe you'all.

              j i m