Re: [ksurf] [cankitesurf] Re: Global warming meansthe end of kitesnowboarding for most ?

  • Lex Lissauer
    Message 1 of 8 , Dec 27, 2006
      Is there any information on what parameters cause certain properties to kites and kiteboards?
      If so, where can I find it?

      For instance: what does increased flex does to a board? Or concave? Or more/less rocker? Or parabolic outline? Width? Length? What makes a board: Turn smoother / Have more speed / Better in waves / better upwind.

      Or for kites: What makes a kite: Turn fast / respond direct / Jump high / more airtime / Go easier upwind

    • Hung Vu
      Message 2 of 8 , Dec 28, 2006
        For kite, check http://kitesurfingschool.org/kite.htm

        For board:
            More rocker: less upwind, easier carving, easier jumping off chop
            More flex: Absorb chop, what else?
            More parabolic outline (convex) : easier upwind, slow down a lot during turn
            Concave bottom: plan sooner, also grip water better and more upwind
            More width: more surface, plan sooner, less kitepower needed
            More length: more water line, easier upwind, harder to spin

        Others may want to correct or add more....

        Hung.

        Message 3 of 8 , Dec 28, 2006
          Thanks Hung! nice and concise info.
          It seems that there is no disadvantage to concave bottom. Or is there?
          If not, we will not see any more kiteboards without, will we?

          Message 4 of 8 , Dec 28, 2006
            Sometimes, you may want a "loose" feel and don't want the board to grip
            water much.

            Hung.