[cankitesurf] Re: Global warming meansthe end of kitesnowboarding for most ?

  • hungvuatnetcomdotca
    Message 1 of 8 , Dec 21, 2006
      Kiteboards are pretty "mature" now such that it is more a style and
      taste issue more than functionality.

      So it is hard to say which board is the best as most are very similar;
      however, one can easily say which board one likes the best according
      to style and taste.

      So for most part, just select the size you like and check out a number
      of boards at your local shop for the material and the style you like.

      Hung.

      --- In kitesurf@yahoogroups.com, alex.unsworth@... wrote:

      > what do you think is the best board on the mkt at the moment - for an
      > "intermediate" kitesurfer
      > ie just started jumping
      >

      > ________________________________

    • jim cancil
      Message 2 of 8 , Dec 22, 2006
        --- In kitesurf@yahoogroups.com, alex.unsworth@... wrote:

        > what do you think is the best board on the mkt at the moment - for an
        > "intermediate" kitesurfer
        > ie just started jumping

        ..............my response parrots Hung's with one exception: given, it seems human nature to
        feel that any 07 product will perform better than any 06, I would suggest you concentrate on
        the upper end shapers/mfgrs. (study/research...) and buy a 1-2yr old board in a size
        comfortable for you. A good place to look is: ikitesurf.com if you're in the US/Canada. Even
        Ebay can be a good place to look.

        j i m
      • Lex Lissauer
        Message 3 of 8 , Dec 27, 2006
          Is there any information on what parameters cause certain properties to kites and kiteboards?
          If so, where can I find it?

          For instance: what does increased flex does to a board? Or concave? Or more/less rocker? Or parabolic outline? Width? Length? What makes a board: Turn smoother / Have more speed / Better in waves / better upwind.

          Or for kites: What makes a kite: Turn fast / respond direct / Jump high / more airtime / Go easier upwind

        • Hung Vu
          Message 4 of 8 , Dec 28, 2006
            For kite, check http://kitesurfingschool.org/kite.htm

            For board:
                More rocker: less upwind, easier carving, easier jumping off chop
                More flex: Absorb chop, what else?
                More parabolic outline (convex) : easier upwind, slow down a lot during turn
                Concave bottom: plan sooner, also grip water better and more upwind
                More width: more surface, plan sooner, less kitepower needed
                More length: more water line, easier upwind, harder to spin

            Others may want to correct or add more....

            Hung.

            Message 5 of 8 , Dec 28, 2006
              Thanks Hung! nice and concise info.
              It seems that there is no disadvantage to concave bottom. Or is there?
              If not, we will not see any more kiteboards without, will we?

              Message 6 of 8 , Dec 28, 2006
                Sometimes, you may want a "loose" feel and don't want the board to grip
                water much.

                Hung.