Re: [ksurf] Looking for advice on board upgrade

  • georgeiw@aol.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 4, 2006
      I agree with Denise and the other comments. For a small board you need a lot
      of wind. Get used to holding the board that you have. The old lightwaves
      have a lot of rocker which makes them not so great in light wind.
      You got two pieces of conflicting advice on how to hold the edge in heavier
      wind.
      First fly the kite high so that it does not pull so hard and move it
      forward, also so that it does not pull so hard. This is true and does work... but
      only to a point.
      When you start to get skipped off of the surface you have to bring the kite
      very low, almost touching the water, and also forward again. This way it
      does not lift you up and you can really dig the edge to hold against the kite.
      I use very big boards with the flysurfer door 159 being my small board. I
      weigh 220 so I need the area. I also have some marine plywood boards that are
      3/8" thick and about 180 or 190 long. They have very little float so it is not
      hard to dig the edge and ride them sideways.

      When it really gets windy I lift my front foot up to get more of the board
      out of the water. I am mostly riding on my back foot and a little bit of board
      around it. It does not matter how big the board is because at this point I
      have most of it out of the water.

      I say try everything but in the end it is technique that really rules.
      Good luck,
      George

    • Lex Lissauer
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 4, 2006
        On 10/5/06, georgeiw@... <georgeiw@...> wrote:

        > When it really gets windy I lift my front foot up to get more of the board
        > out of the water. I am mostly riding on my back foot and a little bit of board
        > around it. It does not matter how big the board is because at this point I
        > have most of it out of the water.

        It does matter how big the board is. I drive a quite small wide board
        (125×39) and if I need to edge hard, I put more weight on my front
        foot to get as much rail in the water as possible.
        With your technique you are just using a small part of your board and
        you will probably feel your legs after a day surfing. Never tried a
        smaller board in higher winds?
        And there is something in between 159 and 125.
        My next board will probably be bigger.

        P.S. All measures are in cm