Re: [ksurf] Looking for advice on board upgrade

  • DeniseSEWA@Aol.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 4, 2006
      In a message dated 10/4/2006 12:35:31 A.M. US Mountain Standard Time,
      no_reply@yahoogroups.com writes:

      Is this partly due to the
      board, or just bad technique on my part?

      If I do go for an upgrade, what should I be looking for? I would
      prefer a 2nd hand board to save some cost, so any advice on a 2005
      or 2006 board to look for would be appreciated.

      Regards,
      Thomas

      If you are powered up and still not going upwind its likely technique , try
      to fly your kite without looking at it , looking at the kite puts your body
      in a position to be on a "reach" rather than angled upwind, this makes it more
      difficult to hold an edge , also , fly your kite lower so as not to get
      pulled off your edge , something to always remember in this sport > where your
      head goes your body follows< so, if you are riding with your left hand forward
      ( on a port tack) turn your head and look upwind over your left shoulder
      further than you think is possible to go upwind, this will twist your torso and
      your board in an upwind direction ( just stand up right now and try this, you
      will feel your body and feet try to turn left as you look over your
      shoulder), trust that your kite will support you and straighten your front leg and
      lean back allowing the power to come from the harness rather than through the
      bar so you can use the bar to "feel what the kite wants" as far as sheeting
      and steering without being " heavy handed", Your litewave should be fine until
      you progress further and begin to develop a style of your own, in the mean
      time ride as many boards as you can to develop an opinion of your own.
      My favorite boards right now are the "Spleene 141 session" for flat water
      and the 2006 FLX 142 for surf or choppy conditions.
      As always, The above is just my opinion, hope it helps.
      Denise
      http://hometown.aol.com/denisesewa/index.html

    • georgeiw@aol.com
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 4, 2006
        I agree with Denise and the other comments. For a small board you need a lot
        of wind. Get used to holding the board that you have. The old lightwaves
        have a lot of rocker which makes them not so great in light wind.
        You got two pieces of conflicting advice on how to hold the edge in heavier
        wind.
        First fly the kite high so that it does not pull so hard and move it
        forward, also so that it does not pull so hard. This is true and does work... but
        only to a point.
        When you start to get skipped off of the surface you have to bring the kite
        very low, almost touching the water, and also forward again. This way it
        does not lift you up and you can really dig the edge to hold against the kite.
        I use very big boards with the flysurfer door 159 being my small board. I
        weigh 220 so I need the area. I also have some marine plywood boards that are
        3/8" thick and about 180 or 190 long. They have very little float so it is not
        hard to dig the edge and ride them sideways.

        When it really gets windy I lift my front foot up to get more of the board
        out of the water. I am mostly riding on my back foot and a little bit of board
        around it. It does not matter how big the board is because at this point I
        have most of it out of the water.

        I say try everything but in the end it is technique that really rules.
        Good luck,
        George

      • Lex Lissauer
        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 4, 2006
          On 10/5/06, georgeiw@... <georgeiw@...> wrote:

          > When it really gets windy I lift my front foot up to get more of the board
          > out of the water. I am mostly riding on my back foot and a little bit of board
          > around it. It does not matter how big the board is because at this point I
          > have most of it out of the water.

          It does matter how big the board is. I drive a quite small wide board
          (125×39) and if I need to edge hard, I put more weight on my front
          foot to get as much rail in the water as possible.
          With your technique you are just using a small part of your board and
          you will probably feel your legs after a day surfing. Never tried a
          smaller board in higher winds?
          And there is something in between 159 and 125.
          My next board will probably be bigger.

          P.S. All measures are in cm