Re: Looking for advice on board upgrade

  • oldair42
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 4, 2006
      Thomas, If you are getting pulled off of the edge when powered up
      then you probably need to go to a smaller board or a smaller kite.
      Without knowing your weight, and the wind speed that you are flying
      your 12 in its hard to say for sure. In regards to the thick and
      heavy Litewave board, I am just now chainging out my '01 litewave
      pitbull and wakenstyle after 2 years, they may be a bit heavier than
      some of todays newer boards, but thats not why you can't hold an
      edge.

      Jon

      --- In kitesurf@yahoogroups.com, thom999manson <no_reply@...> wrote:

      > Hi all
      >
      > I am new to this group, so if this is a FAQ, please forgive me. I
      > did a search of the group, but didn't find anything that helpful.
      >
      > I have a Litewave 158 board that I have been learning on. I am now
      > at the stage where I can just about go upwind. I fly mostly with a
      > 12m Airush flow (2004) but also have a 16 m Flow 2005 for light
      wind
      > days.
      >
      > The question is, is it time for a board upgrade. I have borrowed a
      > few other boards, and used the school where I learnt's board, and
      > the Litewave is very heavy and quite thick. When I am powered up,
      > find it quite difficult to hold and edge. Is this partly due to
      the
      > board, or just bad technique on my part?
      >
      > If I do go for an upgrade, what should I be looking for? I would
      > prefer a 2nd hand board to save some cost, so any advice on a 2005
      > or 2006 board to look for would be appreciated.
      >
      > Regards,
      > Thomas

    • George
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 4, 2006
        Thom,

        I learned in a Litewave 169 board and a small
        8m kite. I, too, would get pulled off my edge
        when the wind came up. It's hard to edge with
        large boards, but at the same time, it is safer
        to learn with a large board/small kite combo.
        I don't think the weight of the bard is an issue,
        unless you're into jumping and doing tricks. It's
        mostly the planing surface area and the edge.
        A more 'rangey' kite will allow you to sheet out
        and spill the excess power, also, bring the kite
        up high while goind down-wind to reduce the power
        in a big gust (if you can't control the power by
        edging). I have an '04 Litewave 145 (42cm wide)
        board and it's shorter length allows me to edge
        harder (than my LW169) but it's wider outline still
        let's me plane up easily. I found this to be a good
        light wind board. I can do toeside, edge with
        it, and jump with no problems.

        Maybe you can give that board a try.

        I also agree with Denise's suggestions about
        proper riding technique. Another thing I would add
        is keep adjusting your position on the board. When
        you
        are in a gust, lean back more, point the board more
        upwind and use the extra power to gain upwind
        position.
        In a lull, stand over the board in a more upright
        position and move slightly down-wind to keep your
        board speed up. Keeping your
        board/kite speed up maintains more power in the kite
        due to the 'apparent wind' that's created while you
        are moving.

        Good luck!

        George.

        http://mail.yahoo.com
      • CCKiteboarder@hotpop.com
        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 5, 2006
          What worked for me when I was at your stage was to hinge at the waist ie:
          stick your butt out and drop the center of gravity. The higher the kite
          is the more this is necessary to get an edge. As you progress you will
          figure out how to control kite power and board edging and coordinate it
          all.

          Hope this helps.
          --
          Steve
          Carson City, Nevada, USA

          On Tue, 03 Oct 2006 23:03:45 -0700, thom999manson
          <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

          > Hi all
          >
          > I am new to this group, so if this is a FAQ, please forgive me. I
          > did a search of the group, but didn't find anything that helpful.
          >
          > I have a Litewave 158 board that I have been learning on. I am now
          > at the stage where I can just about go upwind. I fly mostly with a
          > 12m Airush flow (2004) but also have a 16 m Flow 2005 for light wind
          > days.
        • thom999manson
          Message 4 of 5 , Oct 11, 2006
            Thanks for all the replies - really helpful.

            I think I will hang onto the board, and improve my technique until I
            get better, and then upgrade.

            Regards,
            Thomas