Looking for advice on board upgrade

  • thom999manson
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 3, 2006
      Hi all

      I am new to this group, so if this is a FAQ, please forgive me. I
      did a search of the group, but didn't find anything that helpful.

      I have a Litewave 158 board that I have been learning on. I am now
      at the stage where I can just about go upwind. I fly mostly with a
      12m Airush flow (2004) but also have a 16 m Flow 2005 for light wind
      days.

      The question is, is it time for a board upgrade. I have borrowed a
      few other boards, and used the school where I learnt's board, and
      the Litewave is very heavy and quite thick. When I am powered up, I
      find it quite difficult to hold and edge. Is this partly due to the
      board, or just bad technique on my part?

      If I do go for an upgrade, what should I be looking for? I would
      prefer a 2nd hand board to save some cost, so any advice on a 2005
      or 2006 board to look for would be appreciated.

      Regards,
      Thomas
    • oldair42
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 4, 2006
        Thomas, If you are getting pulled off of the edge when powered up
        then you probably need to go to a smaller board or a smaller kite.
        Without knowing your weight, and the wind speed that you are flying
        your 12 in its hard to say for sure. In regards to the thick and
        heavy Litewave board, I am just now chainging out my '01 litewave
        pitbull and wakenstyle after 2 years, they may be a bit heavier than
        some of todays newer boards, but thats not why you can't hold an
        edge.

        Jon

        --- In kitesurf@yahoogroups.com, thom999manson <no_reply@...> wrote:

        > Hi all
        >
        > I am new to this group, so if this is a FAQ, please forgive me. I
        > did a search of the group, but didn't find anything that helpful.
        >
        > I have a Litewave 158 board that I have been learning on. I am now
        > at the stage where I can just about go upwind. I fly mostly with a
        > 12m Airush flow (2004) but also have a 16 m Flow 2005 for light
        wind
        > days.
        >
        > The question is, is it time for a board upgrade. I have borrowed a
        > few other boards, and used the school where I learnt's board, and
        > the Litewave is very heavy and quite thick. When I am powered up,
        > find it quite difficult to hold and edge. Is this partly due to
        the
        > board, or just bad technique on my part?
        >
        > If I do go for an upgrade, what should I be looking for? I would
        > prefer a 2nd hand board to save some cost, so any advice on a 2005
        > or 2006 board to look for would be appreciated.
        >
        > Regards,
        > Thomas

      • George
        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 4, 2006
          Thom,

          I learned in a Litewave 169 board and a small
          8m kite. I, too, would get pulled off my edge
          when the wind came up. It's hard to edge with
          large boards, but at the same time, it is safer
          to learn with a large board/small kite combo.
          I don't think the weight of the bard is an issue,
          unless you're into jumping and doing tricks. It's
          mostly the planing surface area and the edge.
          A more 'rangey' kite will allow you to sheet out
          and spill the excess power, also, bring the kite
          up high while goind down-wind to reduce the power
          in a big gust (if you can't control the power by
          edging). I have an '04 Litewave 145 (42cm wide)
          board and it's shorter length allows me to edge
          harder (than my LW169) but it's wider outline still
          let's me plane up easily. I found this to be a good
          light wind board. I can do toeside, edge with
          it, and jump with no problems.

          Maybe you can give that board a try.

          I also agree with Denise's suggestions about
          proper riding technique. Another thing I would add
          is keep adjusting your position on the board. When
          you
          are in a gust, lean back more, point the board more
          upwind and use the extra power to gain upwind
          position.
          In a lull, stand over the board in a more upright
          position and move slightly down-wind to keep your
          board speed up. Keeping your
          board/kite speed up maintains more power in the kite
          due to the 'apparent wind' that's created while you
          are moving.

          Good luck!

          George.

          http://mail.yahoo.com
        • CCKiteboarder@hotpop.com
          Message 4 of 5 , Oct 5, 2006
            What worked for me when I was at your stage was to hinge at the waist ie:
            stick your butt out and drop the center of gravity. The higher the kite
            is the more this is necessary to get an edge. As you progress you will
            figure out how to control kite power and board edging and coordinate it
            all.

            Hope this helps.
            --
            Steve
            Carson City, Nevada, USA

            On Tue, 03 Oct 2006 23:03:45 -0700, thom999manson
            <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

            > Hi all
            >
            > I am new to this group, so if this is a FAQ, please forgive me. I
            > did a search of the group, but didn't find anything that helpful.
            >
            > I have a Litewave 158 board that I have been learning on. I am now
            > at the stage where I can just about go upwind. I fly mostly with a
            > 12m Airush flow (2004) but also have a 16 m Flow 2005 for light wind
            > days.
          • thom999manson
            Message 5 of 5 , Oct 11, 2006
              Thanks for all the replies - really helpful.

              I think I will hang onto the board, and improve my technique until I
              get better, and then upgrade.

              Regards,
              Thomas