Waroo Pro impressions.

  • hungvu2000@rogers.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 29, 2006
      I have been flying my Waroo Pro 13 extensively in the last few weeks and
      here are my impressions of the kite (one of the few kites which have
      raised quite a few interests in the past).

      Pro:
      - Excellent construction
      - Rock solid kite. You feel like flying an airplane wing. You can
      get more power by simply pumping the kite (move the bar up and down)
      instead of having to move the kite. When the wind is strong, you can
      also do this puming while in the air to get more height. The kite is
      rock solid never flutter regardless of how you depower it. I HAVE NEVER
      flown any rock solid kite like this!
      - Great upwind capability (due to rock solid frame and small leading
      edge?)
      - Great jumping capability (due to rock solid frame and small
      leading edge?). If you want to reach the moon, this is the kite!
      - Very stable, feel as much a C kite as a flat kite (due to the new
      bridle setup?)

      Con:
      - SLOW TURNING (as per factory set up). You need to tune the back
      line bridle to make it turn as fast as the Waroo. Best should make it
      default to turn as fast as the Waroo. All of the locals who have tried
      did not like this SLOW TURNING setting and we wondered why Best selected
      this slow turning setting as the default. We have to move the turning
      knots on the rear bridle more backward until it's OK for us.
      - A bit more sluggish than the Waroo when turning due to slightly
      heavier weight due to the extra weight of the "rock solid construction":
      battens, heavy duty enforcements, etc. Sometime it makes you wonder
      whether a cheap, low end kite like the Waroo is a good thing for
      responsiveness after all.
      - Depowering capability is slightly less than the Waroo (due to the
      new bridle set up?). This means that you need to use the trim strap
      more often than the Waroo.

      Overall this is a much different kite than the Waroo, I would rate it as
      a very high performance, well constructed kite which sits between a
      regular C kite and a Waroo. Not to confuse the market, I would name
      this kite using a different name as it is very different from the Waroo.

      This kite is well suited for an intermediate to pro (one who doesn't
      want to have too much depowering capability and a more stable, higher
      lift kite for great tricks or to break speed records) as opposed to
      someone who just want to have fun with a very fast turning, responsive
      kite and lots of depowering capability (without having to use the trim
      strap).

      Hung.