Re: [ksurf] Chicken loop danger?

  • George
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 25, 2006
      Hung,

      I believe that even for flat/SLE/hybrid
      kites, there is a need to have a way to get out of the

      C-loop, and release to a kite leash. I can see
      a scenario in real gusty conditions, when a flat
      kite starts falling back in the wind window due to
      a major lull, then suddenly a huge gust hits, and
      'Baaam!' Or in the case of a bridle or other kite
      failure where the kite goes into a death-loop and
      cannot be depowered. You need to release the power
      from the C-loop without losing the kite/injuring
      others.

      Being lead into this false sense of security with the
      new kites, can actually make them more dangerous than
      C-kites, in the event the 'sh&* hits the fan!"

      George.

      http://mail.yahoo.com
    • DeniseSEWA@Aol.com
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 25, 2006
        In a message dated 9/25/2006 12:23:08 P.M. US Mountain Standard Time,
        ynotkite@... writes:

        Being lead into this false sense of security with the
        new kites, can actually make them more dangerous than
        C-kites, in the event the 'sh&* hits the fan!"

        George.

        yep, I agree , the one scenario which is always in the back of my mind is
        two kites getting tangled, I have witnessed this happen several times, when one
        rider releases the other is now stuck with two kites, This situation caused
        the death of one of the top female riders in the world a couple years ago(
        Nina Heilburg I think ,as her name escapes me at the moment) during a European
        contest.
        the other situation I witnessed is when a rider dropped his kite and some
        onlookers in a power boat ran over his lines getting them stuck in the prop
        and dragging the guy.
        The system I like at the moment is the slingshot Turbo Diesel chicken loops
        quick release with the slingshot leash clipped around the chicken loop line
        just ahead of the loop, this allows instant release to the leash and the leash
        is also releasable easily, when I have become unhooked on accident letting go
        of the bar instantly depowers the kite totaly, since I ride with the bar 6
        inches out from the loop at full power when I get unhooked the powerup is
        tremendous , I also use this type of system when riding my Waroo. The other nice
        feature is it works out to be a spinning leash so spinning the bar after a
        trick is never an issue even with slingshots dual line setup. Also, Joe wrote

        "Hey, i am fairly new at the sport and am able to self launch with ease in 7+
        knot winds. my problem is self landing the kite, i am using a cabrinha
        contra with the gen2 recon system. i try landing the kite in the edge of the wind
        window, but when its windy, the kite always catches and fills with air, then
        the kite pulls really hard making it difficult to get to the kite and grab
        it. any suggestions?
        much appreciated,
        joe"
        Self landing the recon system especially in high winds can be problematic,
        what I did was to add two loops of leader line to the re launch balls by
        sliding the ball up until the knot inside was exposed and larkshead the loops above
        the knot, make the loops big enough to get three fingers in as this will
        also aid you in getting a grip for relaunch , before attempting to land clip
        your leash to the loop on the side that will end up closest to the ground when
        you fly the kite to the edge of the window near your landing area, keep the
        kite very close or touching the tip on the ground then simply unhook the
        chicken loop and let the kite go to the leash( let go of the bar) , the kite should
        flag out and drift downwind with you hooked to just the brake line on the
        upwind side, you can then go hand over hand up the brakeline to the kite .
        since Cabrinha had several different recon systems I suggest you look carefully
        at your system to ensure that the bar will slide up the brakeline at least the
        distance equal to the span of the kite and test the system in very light
        winds before trusting it, do not attempt to self land any C kite in high winds
        and understand there is always a risk of damage to the kite from sliding
        across the ground, As always everything above is just my opinion and opinions vary
        but I hope it helps.
        Denise

        http://hometown.aol.com/denisesewa/index.html