Chicken loop danger?

  • hungvu2000@rogers.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 25, 2006
      I the past, with C kites, the chicken loop were dangerous as it is often
      very difficult to get out of the chicken loop when under extreme load.

      So the manufacturers have made it over the years easy to get out of the
      chicken loop (when under heavy loaded or not)

      With the new generation of flat kite, the chicken loop is now the safety
      leash (with a back up safety leash) and it is NO LONGER require to get
      out of the chicken loop when under load because as soon as one let go of
      the bar, the load is often light and one can leisurely get out of the
      chicken loop in light load (I did that yesterday while self landing my
      Waroo 9m in 30+ knots)..

      Personally, it happen to me at least twice that my chicken loop (from at
      least 2 different manufacturers) of my flat kites popped out when under
      extreme load and that make the situation dangerous (the kite powered up
      even more or become uncontrollable). In this situation, the kiter may
      not be in danger but the bystanders may be heavily hit by the kite or
      the kite could hit hard obstacle and get damaged.

      So is it now the time for the manufacturers to consider making the
      chicken loop more heavy duty and difficult to get out under heavy load?

      Hung.
    • George
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 25, 2006
        Hung,

        I believe that even for flat/SLE/hybrid
        kites, there is a need to have a way to get out of the

        C-loop, and release to a kite leash. I can see
        a scenario in real gusty conditions, when a flat
        kite starts falling back in the wind window due to
        a major lull, then suddenly a huge gust hits, and
        'Baaam!' Or in the case of a bridle or other kite
        failure where the kite goes into a death-loop and
        cannot be depowered. You need to release the power
        from the C-loop without losing the kite/injuring
        others.

        Being lead into this false sense of security with the
        new kites, can actually make them more dangerous than
        C-kites, in the event the 'sh&* hits the fan!"

        George.

        http://mail.yahoo.com
      • DeniseSEWA@Aol.com
        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 25, 2006
          In a message dated 9/25/2006 12:23:08 P.M. US Mountain Standard Time,
          ynotkite@... writes:

          Being lead into this false sense of security with the
          new kites, can actually make them more dangerous than
          C-kites, in the event the 'sh&* hits the fan!"

          George.

          yep, I agree , the one scenario which is always in the back of my mind is
          two kites getting tangled, I have witnessed this happen several times, when one
          rider releases the other is now stuck with two kites, This situation caused
          the death of one of the top female riders in the world a couple years ago(
          Nina Heilburg I think ,as her name escapes me at the moment) during a European
          contest.
          the other situation I witnessed is when a rider dropped his kite and some
          onlookers in a power boat ran over his lines getting them stuck in the prop
          and dragging the guy.
          The system I like at the moment is the slingshot Turbo Diesel chicken loops
          quick release with the slingshot leash clipped around the chicken loop line
          just ahead of the loop, this allows instant release to the leash and the leash
          is also releasable easily, when I have become unhooked on accident letting go
          of the bar instantly depowers the kite totaly, since I ride with the bar 6
          inches out from the loop at full power when I get unhooked the powerup is
          tremendous , I also use this type of system when riding my Waroo. The other nice
          feature is it works out to be a spinning leash so spinning the bar after a
          trick is never an issue even with slingshots dual line setup. Also, Joe wrote

          "Hey, i am fairly new at the sport and am able to self launch with ease in 7+
          knot winds. my problem is self landing the kite, i am using a cabrinha
          contra with the gen2 recon system. i try landing the kite in the edge of the wind
          window, but when its windy, the kite always catches and fills with air, then
          the kite pulls really hard making it difficult to get to the kite and grab
          it. any suggestions?
          much appreciated,
          joe"
          Self landing the recon system especially in high winds can be problematic,
          what I did was to add two loops of leader line to the re launch balls by
          sliding the ball up until the knot inside was exposed and larkshead the loops above
          the knot, make the loops big enough to get three fingers in as this will
          also aid you in getting a grip for relaunch , before attempting to land clip
          your leash to the loop on the side that will end up closest to the ground when
          you fly the kite to the edge of the window near your landing area, keep the
          kite very close or touching the tip on the ground then simply unhook the
          chicken loop and let the kite go to the leash( let go of the bar) , the kite should
          flag out and drift downwind with you hooked to just the brake line on the
          upwind side, you can then go hand over hand up the brakeline to the kite .
          since Cabrinha had several different recon systems I suggest you look carefully
          at your system to ensure that the bar will slide up the brakeline at least the
          distance equal to the span of the kite and test the system in very light
          winds before trusting it, do not attempt to self land any C kite in high winds
          and understand there is always a risk of damage to the kite from sliding
          across the ground, As always everything above is just my opinion and opinions vary
          but I hope it helps.
          Denise

          http://hometown.aol.com/denisesewa/index.html