Variable length board in light wind

  • hungvu2000@rogers.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 24, 2006
      For this summer, I started to rediscover my 5'9" Clam directional board
      as a light wind board (I used to use it as a moderate to strong wind board).

      I rigged my straps very forward the front so the board normally acts as
      a 150 cm board and by pressing more on the back foot, the board feels
      like a 140 board. By putting the back foot just forward of the back
      strap, the board feels like a 160 cm.

      To use the board in its full 5'9" length (175cm), I just put my feet
      centered on the board (the front foot is front of the front straps and
      the back foot is forward of the back strap) or in other words, treat
      the directional as a bidirectional and ride it no-strap similar to a
      skim board.

      Since the board is so light, I notice that to jump I just need to have
      only the front foot in the strap and can grab the tail of the board with
      my hand when in the air for more balance in bigger jumps, and of course,
      nowhip back loop feel great on a directional, especially in under 10 knots.

      P.S., Of course this 5'9" board won't be able to compete with my
      legendary FOne 230 in the light wind cruising department but this board
      is only 6.5 lbs and great for jumping when the wind pick ups.

      P.P.S., For most of this summer, I was using the Waroo 16m for light
      wind. A heavier weight kiter would need a 20m+. I have read somewhere
      that someone exagerate that they only need 12m kites for lightwind.
      This is a bit exagerated or they don't really know what is really light
      wind kiting. While I am out on my 16m Waroo I have seen too many
      heavier weight kiters wasting their time with 12m or even 16m kites
      while they should be on 20m kites.

      Hung.