Which kite should I buy?

  • Jeremy Adrian Soana
    Message 1 of 16 , Jul 28, 2006
      Dear all,

      I just learned kitesurfing and I want to buy a kite because I cannot get enough of the sport.
      Generally speaking, i want to surf in winds of approx 10- 20+ knots. I was advised to buy the
      slingshot Turbo Diesel 12m Kite for $1200 USD. I am a wakeboarder who has made / making
      the transition (I can do raileys, backroll and S-Bends on wakeboards) and would like to start
      doing tricks as soon as possible. From my research on the net, I feel that although the
      slingshot td is not bad, its not the greatest for me. I have heard that Cabrinha kites are one
      of the best and the 06 classic contra 12m, co2 and revolver 12m also seem more
      aproporiate, and cheaper. What do you think? The marketing also seems better and more
      towards tricks but I could be wrong and that is why I am seeking your advice. I am a very fast
      learner too.

      Thanks a lot
      Jeremy

      P.S. I am 20 years old if that helps to give a general insight to my athletic ability. I weigh 155
      pounds (65kg).
    • Lex Lissauer
      Message 2 of 16 , Jul 29, 2006
        Hi Jeremy,

        If you want to do wakeboard tricks I would recommend the Slingshot Fuel, not
        the Turbo Diesel.
        With your weight a 10m² would be fine. The Fuel is not a beginner kite, but
        it is stable enough to learn.
        Liquid Force has wakeboard style kiteboards. Recommended size: between
        129-135 cm length and 37-39 cm width
        It is just an advise. As soon as you get going borrow and try as many boards
        and kites as you can to see what fits you best.

        Lex

        I just learned kitesurfing and I want to buy a kite because I cannot get
        > enough of the sport.

      • Jeremy Adrian Soana
        Message 3 of 16 , Jul 29, 2006
          Hi!

          Thanks for your reply it was very helpful. What do you think about the cabrinha
          switchblade 06 12m kite for me? It just looks like an easy kite to (it has the full on demand
          depower which is awesom) and from what they say very good relaunching capabilities.

          I was also advised to look into Naish, and perhaps airush. Do you have any
          recommendations? What do you think about the cabrinha?

          Cheers
          Jeremy

          --- In kitesurf@yahoogroups.com, "Lex Lissauer" <lex.lissauer@...> wrote:

          > Hi Jeremy,
          >
          > If you want to do wakeboard tricks I would recommend the Slingshot Fuel, not
          > the Turbo Diesel.
          > With your weight a 10m² would be fine. The Fuel is not a beginner kite, but
          > it is stable enough to learn.
          > Liquid Force has wakeboard style kiteboards. Recommended size: between
          > 129-135 cm length and 37-39 cm width
          > It is just an advise. As soon as you get going borrow and try as many boards
          > and kites as you can to see what fits you best.
          >
          > Lex
          >
          > I just learned kitesurfing and I want to buy a kite because I cannot get
          > > enough of the sport.

        • Lex Lissauer
          Message 4 of 16 , Jul 29, 2006
            Your welcome.
            I never tried the Switchblade but heard good things about it. It is
            definitely a good beginners kite: More easygoing and bigger depower range
            than the Slingshot Fuel. I personally don't like the complicated bar set-up
            with pulleys.
            I started with foil kites, then C kites then bowkites. Transition from
            C-kites to bow kites is easy. If you start with bow kites it might be hard
            to get used to C-kites afterwards and I think radical styles, like
            wakeboard/unhooked tricks are better performed with C-kites.

            I am pretty convinced that whatever you choose it will be OK, as all kites
            you mentioned are quality kites.

          • Gary Brownless
            Message 5 of 16 , Jul 29, 2006
              Hiya

              Here in Cyprus we mostly use the Slingshot fuel and with only good results
              for both beginners and more advanced. Big plus's are that they are tough
              kites and can handle crashes onto our pebbly beaches, they have the fast
              response yu want for wakeboard moves, good upwind characteristics, easy
              setup and pump up, 5th line can be fitted / removed in a few minutes and is
              really not needed for the 11 and smaller as these sizes just crave to get
              their asses out of the water and back in the air almost by themselves. Even
              though response is fast, they are very stable and stay exactly where yu
              imagine them to be.

              I am 88kg using a Fone Skate 129 board, Friday I was out in around 22-26K
              with 2006 Fuel 9 - brand new and just out of the box, needed no bullshit
              setting up, simply rip open the box, pump up, set up lines, remove 5th line,
              connect to bar and in the water. I also have the 2005 15, 2006 13, 2005 11.

              Another big plus is the nice back pack that comes with the kite which is
              ideal for traveling. On the safety angle, the chicken loop release is really
              simple, works every time is easy to reset and yu can even adjust the loop to
              make smaller if yu prefer the bar closer to yr body, the tongue for securing
              the loop to yr harness hook can also be simply removed with a screw driver
              and not cutoff like other kites - once yu hv progressed from learning stage
              and start doing unhooked, u will want to remove the tongue.

              For a board I would recommend the Underground 126 Flex which is used by
              quite a few of our riders doing the unhooked wakeboard style tricks - a fast
              board with soft landings.

              Anyway, best is to join a school, learn on their kit, try out as much gear
              as yu can and draw yr own opinion inside yr pocket budget.

              Further would agree that the good 'ol C Kite is the best for learning - over
              here I have seen a few bow kites incl Cabrinha and they simply are not
              attracting riders. However for example In Cape Town they are very popular
              because mostly wave riding and Naish heads the pack down their.

              Cheers and good luck.

              Gary

              _____

              Message 6 of 16 , Jul 29, 2006
                Awesom thanks so much for your great response! Im sorry to burden you with so many
                (pathetic) questions but i just want to make the absolute best choice. So you think that if i
                had to get one kite the most versitile would be the slingshot fuel? say a 12m would take
                me from pretty much beginner to advanced and i would still be able to use it correct? Now
                Lex, u seem like a very experienced kite surfer, is slingshot a good quality brand? Is the
                slingshot fuel techniecally speaking advanced yet simple (i know it has 100% depower
                which i presume is useful). It is also a C kite correct?

                However, do you think the cabrina switchblade will be too basic? As in as i progress will I
                get bored with it? I just want to make a good investment. Something i can do tricks with
                but at the same time feel comfortable with when it comes to learning new tricks.

                Lex, you have been most helpful and I only hope I can be as helpful to you in the near
                future.

                Thanks a ton.

                Message 7 of 16 , Jul 30, 2006
                  Hi Jeremy,

                  Take care: The Slingshot Fuel does NOT have 100% depower. Also I recommended
                  a 10m², not a 12 for your weight. The quality of Slingshot is excellent.
                  About making the right choice:
                  You can't really choose the perfect kite before you have at least one season
                  experience, can jump, do some tricks and sail in different circumstances and
                  tried out different kites.
                  At the other hand: Any 2006 kite will do for your first year. If you want a
                  concrete advice: Go for the bow. It is versatile and safe and easy to
                  relaunch. If money is no issue buy a switchblade 12, otherwise a Waroo 9
                  would be a good choice. Then next year buy your perfect set. And don't
                  worry: you won't get bored with any of those kites..
                  Good luck,

                  Lex

                • Lex Lissauer
                  Message 8 of 16 , Jul 30, 2006
                    Very good description, Gary.
                    Fuel is indeed a <no bullshit> kite.
                    F.One sk8 129 is my personal favorite and a good combi with SS Fuel, but for
                    a beginner I would recommend a board that needs less power than the Sk8.
                    Underground makes excellent boards.
                    I am not sure if I agree about C kites being better for beginners. Maybe
                    because beginners can be clumsy with the bar they can accidently power up
                    too much on a bow. In that respect you are right. Bow kites require more
                    subtle bar handling. Also for an experienced wakeboarder it is easier to
                    compensate for gusts by board control (more/less edging) instead of playing
                    with the bar as is what the bow asks for.
                    So in Jeremies case I agree: Go for the Fuel.

                  • Myron
                    Message 9 of 16 , Jul 30, 2006
                      There are other kite choices out there. ARC's from Peter Lynn
                      (http://www.peterlynnkiteboarding.com/) are more than capable of
                      performing the tricks average joe kiteboarder will ever do and some.
                      You can have fun on ARC's too...

                      "new school", wakestyle...
                      http://www.kiteforum.tv/storage/videos/7dc209bcf1315fbf7d9de5e5e81f81
                      46guilherm.wmv
                      http://www.perfect-ride.com/videos/perfect-session-VENOMII.wmv
                      http://www.kitewatch.com/supermanager.php?f=videos&videoID=32&cat=

                      surfing...
                      http://www.kiteforum.tv/storage/videos/05133ec97b3a36723a1fa64672e836
                      felakeyoctoberWMV.wmv
                      http://www.kitewatch.com/supermanager.php?f=videos&videoID=602&cat=

                      "old school" and big, floaty airs...
                      http://www.foilzone.com/video/arcoholics.zip

                      stability demo...
                      http://www.kitewatch.com/supermanager.php?f=videos&videoID=1045&cat=

                      and yes, even "Frisbee"...
                      http://portnawakevdo.free.fr/videos/allwedoisportnawake.wmv

                      When you inflatable guys get sick of...

                      forgetting those heavy weight bags... the pumps that are forgotten
                      or break... expensive bladders that leak or pop... nozzles that melt
                      off bladders... seams that burst... struts that detach from the
                      LE... fabric that lasts a year... longer c-loop lines... stoppers...
                      pulleys and bridles... inversions... falling out of the sky... auto
                      crash and auto destroy... assisted launching and landing...

                      Enjoy,
                      Myron

                      wrote:

                      > Very good description, Gary.
                      > Fuel is indeed a <no bullshit> kite.
                      > F.One sk8 129 is my personal favorite and a good combi with SS
                      Fuel, but for
                      > a beginner I would recommend a board that needs less power than
                      the Sk8.
                      > Underground makes excellent boards.
                      > I am not sure if I agree about C kites being better for beginners.
                      Maybe
                      > because beginners can be clumsy with the bar they can accidently
                      power up
                      > too much on a bow. In that respect you are right. Bow kites
                      require more
                      > subtle bar handling. Also for an experienced wakeboarder it is
                      easier to
                      > compensate for gusts by board control (more/less edging) instead
                      of playing
                      > with the bar as is what the bow asks for.
                      > So in Jeremies case I agree: Go for the Fuel.

                    • Greg
                      Message 10 of 16 , Jul 30, 2006
                        The best plan is to see what the most people in your area ride, talk
                        to the riders and instructors then buy what thy all use/recommend.

                        Personally I think it is a really bad idea for anyone but an expert
                        to buy a C-kite. Bow/flat/sle kites are so much better at everything
                        except unhooked/wakestyle.

                        The Cabrinha Switchblade is highly recommended. It is stable and fast
                        and safe and has heaps of range. With a decent board you will have a
                        one kite quiver.

                        The Crossbow is also good but they can be inverted if you are not
                        careful. The Turbo Diesel is worse. They invert more easily than
                        other flat kites.

                        The GK Sonic is fantastic. Very simple and very easy to use with
                        heaps of range. I use a Sonic 11 with two boards for a one kite
                        quiver. I kite all the time with just one kite. The only problem with
                        the Sonic is that they are easy to stall if you are heavy handed.
                        This is less of a problem than inversion but it can be a nuisance.

                        The Peter Lynn Venom is a fantastic kite but it is ram air. They are
                        the most stable kites on the market and generally good all around but
                        you will be in a minority and will not have many people to help you
                        if you have problems. They can be hard to relaunch but they are much
                        less likely to crash than other kites. Don't think about a Peter Lynn
                        Bomba. They are crap.

                        The Fuel is a good stable kite and very well built. It is not really
                        as good as people make them out to be. It is really just a good
                        intermediate level kite. The rest is just marketing. Realistically
                        the only reason to buy a Fuel is if all your friends have Fuels and
                        you want to ride wake style with all of them.
                      • M Silva
                        Message 11 of 16 , Jul 31, 2006
                          On 7/30/06 11:25 PM, "Greg" <Greg.Walsh@...> wrote:

                          > Don't think about a Peter Lynn
                          > Bomba. They are crap.
                          > ,_._,___
                          I agree, peter lynn arcs are the easiest kites to learn on. When you crash,
                          just let go of the bar. Unless your kite was heading straight down at speed
                          into the water, you come up to see the kite flying there at zenith waiting
                          for you.

                          I have a comment to make about the Bombas are crap. The larger Bombas, OK,
                          but the smaller sizes are just excellent kites. I have flown a 10.5 m bomba
                          and was blown away by the power and quick turning and speed and stability of
                          the kite. The 10.5 is a top kite. I have also flown a 13m while snow kiting,
                          and was also extremely impressed and surprised by the kites speed and power,
                          and you could work the kite real well.

                          Flying larger arcs, well that¹s another story. I highly recommend arcs, as
                          they can help you advance quickly, and get a lot of time on the water, but,
                          I¹d avoid any PL kites larger than 13m. Venom 16¹s are not bad, and I hear
                          the venom II¹s turn much quicker, but it¹s more difficult to work them
                          larger sizes. Larger bars and some mods help them out a lot. But the smaller
                          kites, including the bombas, are great.

                          mykl

                          --
                          Boy, do I wish I knew as much as you think you know. -dad(spoken in
                          portuguese)

                        • Gary Brownless
                          Message 12 of 16 , Jul 31, 2006
                            Hey Greg, if yu been kitesurfing more than 2Y then for sure yu learnt on yea
                            ol' CKite!! Yr still alive to tell the story as are many thousands of
                            others!! If you've forgotten yr roots and want a good laugh over a beer, hv
                            a look at the Red Bull DVD "UPWIND - the launch of kiteboarding" and
                            remember!!!

                            I started on the first Naish's and North Rhino's and when yu look at how the
                            CKite's evolved to now it's quite incredible the improvement.

                            If yu still hv a kite more than 4Y old, take it out, pump yr heart out
                            'cause they had huge bladders, had ridiculous little pumps and really stupid
                            valves which required vice grip fingers with lightening reactions to close
                            before the air escaped. Then heave out that huge 600mm plus bar, rig it up
                            and then be careful... if u were lucky yu had maybe 50% depower, terrible
                            bar action unless those back lines were nice and tight, big over steer, etc

                            Then get on yr board and try edge upwind with say a Rhino 16 (the very first
                            one) and feel that damm rhino pull u downwind, try do a jump and yu have
                            like 50% of todays pop and nice long downwind travel.

                            My opinion is that flat kites are still in the early days with a lot of
                            wrinkles to still iron out. Yes they look fantastic scooting around the sky
                            with tight turns and little pull when doing kite loops, but they have not
                            got the grunt and feel of a CKite. I'm an old bastard in this sport at 45
                            with 6yrs kite surfing under my belt, so maybe I'm a little biased to change
                            - however when I travel around and see what is being used in the water, I
                            don't feel too lonely in my opinions and choices.

                            Anyway this is no dick comparison session, and I hope our newbie friend
                            choose's accordingly his own opinion which should be quite well developed
                            now from all these emails.

                            Ciao and big winds for Cyprus plsssssse.. (this evening sucked at around 13K
                            , bobbing about on old Cape Doctor 7ft direction board and 13 Fuel)

                            _____

                            Message 13 of 16 , Jul 31, 2006
                              I have also the same 1 kite quiver. GKSonic 11. Tip: On a day with light
                              wind adjust the lines in such a way that the kite has just a little tendency
                              to backstall when fully powered. Then you won't have the stalling problem
                              anymore in heavier winds. If you sail a touch downwind in light wind it is
                              hard to make the kite move up again. A short and radical steering impulse
                              followed by depowering will let the kite rapidly ascend to the zenith.
                              By the way: I modified the kite: I changed the full depower for a normal
                              depower strap and the steering lines are now attached with double attachment
                              points, more like the Best Waroo. This makes the steering more direct and
                              the bar pressure slightly higher.

                              Message 14 of 16 , Jul 31, 2006
                                Just bought the 06 slingshot fuel 11m2. Everyone says this kite is a great one, good for the
                                noob with wake experince we'll soon find out tomorrow (Im almost certain it will be
                                fantastic). As for my board, im using my old wake and have put footstraps on. So far so good
                                but i WILL get a new board everntually. I rode my wakeboard today with a Niash Aero Kite and
                                it seemed fine (riding on a kite is quite a scary experience compared to normal wake because
                                of a) the foot straps, b) the ridiculous chop and c) keeping eyes on not only the whater, but
                                the kite and the other kite surfers). Also, I am not used to going fakie all that much so thats
                                also a bit weird (like writing with your left hand).

                                Anyhow, I love being on the beach and so far i love k.surfing. Also thanks for all those
                                marvelous posts. You guys have been a real help.
                              • Greg
                                Message 15 of 16 , Jul 31, 2006
                                  --- In kitesurf@yahoogroups.com, "Gary Brownless" <dundee@...> wrote:

                                  > Hey Greg, if yu been kitesurfing more than 2Y then for sure yu
                                  learnt on yea
                                  > ol' CKite!! Yr still alive to tell the story as are many thousands of
                                  > others!! If you've forgotten yr roots and want a good laugh over a
                                  beer, hv
                                  > a look at the Red Bull DVD "UPWIND - the launch of kiteboarding" and
                                  > remember!!!

                                  I am in my 7th year of kiting. I learned on open foils, used Naish AR5
                                  for one season, then rode relaunchable foils for 5 seasons. I am now
                                  on the Sonic and loving it.

                                  Upwind is a great video. It's one of the few videos I have seen that
                                  are both entertaining and informative. It's great to see Flash riding
                                  like a bit of a kook on a foil with handles and hearing Robbie Naish
                                  talk about how fantastic it looks.

                                  The last issue of Stance DVD mag had a road trip movie from 1999 where
                                  the Euro crew met up with the Hawaiians. It showed Bertrand Fleury on
                                  an F-One foil and wakeboard doing handle passes and kite loops.
                                  Nothing changes.
                                • cazkite
                                  Message 16 of 16 , Aug 1, 2006
                                    > By the way: I modified the kite: I changed the full depower for a
                                    normal
                                    > depower strap and the steering lines are now attached with double
                                    attachment
                                    > points, more like the Best Waroo. This makes the steering more direct
                                    and
                                    > the bar pressure slightly higher.

                                    interested in how you changed the bar over on the sonic, just changed
                                    the bar over to the mod on the gk site with the cleat reversed and the
                                    addition of the dynema- looks alittle flimsy with all the front line
                                    pressure through 1 little line, works fine though..

                                    how long is the cl line from the top of the bar to the trim strap when
                                    sheeted in
                                    -does this still go to full depower when you let go the bar?

                                    what are the double attachments for the steering lines?

                                    how much adjustment in the trim strap? 20cm more less?

                                    thanks

                                    craig