Re: [ksurf] Skill Question

  • CCKiteboarder@hotpop.com
    Message 1 of 12 , Jul 12, 2006
      If I was learning today I would buy a bow kite and avoid a 5th line.

      I currently use C kites and have 5th lines on all of them but not
      primarily as an aid to relaunch. For me the advantage of a 5th line is
      Tea Bag Protection. If I kited where that was not an issue I would fly my
      Cs on 4 lines cuz I can get them relaunched.

      BTW lower aspect kites relaunch real easy - hard to keep them on the
      water. so if you want C kites and relaunch is the issue just get low
      aspect ratio kites.

      But if I was learning today and know what I know I'd buy one of the flat
      inflatables for sure. Not sure which one though.

      --
      Steve
      Carson City, Nevada, USA

      On Tue, 11 Jul 2006 15:08:04 -0700, Dean Crowell <dean@...>
      wrote:

      > As a new-comer to power kiting, do you suggest mastering a 4-line bar
      > and not relying on the 5th line for relaunching? As a windsurfer of
      > 23 years, I see many new products designed to make sailboarding
      > easier, while fully learning some basics (water-starting, short-board
      > balance, for example) is really the way to go in my opinion. Some of
      > the guys I see shredding are on basic 4-line LEI's w/ no frills.
      >
      > Thanks, Dean
      >
      > On Jul 11, 2006, at 4:15 PM, hungvu2000@... wrote:

      > Yahoo! Groups Links

    • Yuri
      Message 2 of 12 , Jul 12, 2006
        What do you mean speaking - the advantage of a 5th line is
        Tea Bag Protection?

        --- In kitesurf@yahoogroups.com, CCKiteboarder@... wrote:

        > If I was learning today I would buy a bow kite and avoid a 5th line.
        >
        > I currently use C kites and have 5th lines on all of them but not
        > primarily as an aid to relaunch. For me the advantage of a 5th
        line is
        > Tea Bag Protection. If I kited where that was not an issue I would
        fly my
        > Cs on 4 lines cuz I can get them relaunched.
        >
        > BTW lower aspect kites relaunch real easy - hard to keep them on
        the
        > water. so if you want C kites and relaunch is the issue just get
        low
        > aspect ratio kites.
        >
        > But if I was learning today and know what I know I'd buy one of the
        flat
        > inflatables for sure. Not sure which one though.
        >

        > --
        > Steve
        > Carson City, Nevada, USA
        >
        > On Tue, 11 Jul 2006 15:08:04 -0700, Dean Crowell <dean@...>
        > wrote:
        >
        > > As a new-comer to power kiting, do you suggest mastering a 4-line
        bar
        > > and not relying on the 5th line for relaunching? As a windsurfer
        of
        > > 23 years, I see many new products designed to make sailboarding
        > > easier, while fully learning some basics (water-starting, short-
        board
        > > balance, for example) is really the way to go in my opinion. Some
        of
        > > the guys I see shredding are on basic 4-line LEI's w/ no frills.
        > >
        > > Thanks, Dean
        > >
        > > On Jul 11, 2006, at 4:15 PM, hungvu2000@... wrote:

        > > === to unsubscribe, please send an email to
        > > kitesurf-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com ===
        > > Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Yuri
        Message 3 of 12 , Jul 12, 2006
          What do you mean speaking - the advantage of a 5th line is
          Tea Bag Protection?

          --- In kitesurf@yahoogroups.com, CCKiteboarder@... wrote:

          > If I was learning today I would buy a bow kite and avoid a 5th line.
          >
          > I currently use C kites and have 5th lines on all of them but not
          > primarily as an aid to relaunch. For me the advantage of a 5th
          line is
          > Tea Bag Protection. If I kited where that was not an issue I would
          fly my
          > Cs on 4 lines cuz I can get them relaunched.
          >
          > BTW lower aspect kites relaunch real easy - hard to keep them on
          the
          > water. so if you want C kites and relaunch is the issue just get
          low
          > aspect ratio kites.
          >
          > But if I was learning today and know what I know I'd buy one of the
          flat
          > inflatables for sure. Not sure which one though.
          >

          > --
          > Steve
          > Carson City, Nevada, USA
          >
          > On Tue, 11 Jul 2006 15:08:04 -0700, Dean Crowell <dean@...>
          > wrote:
          >
          > > As a new-comer to power kiting, do you suggest mastering a 4-line
          bar
          > > and not relying on the 5th line for relaunching? As a windsurfer
          of
          > > 23 years, I see many new products designed to make sailboarding
          > > easier, while fully learning some basics (water-starting, short-
          board
          > > balance, for example) is really the way to go in my opinion. Some
          of
          > > the guys I see shredding are on basic 4-line LEI's w/ no frills.
          > >
          > > Thanks, Dean
          > >
          > > On Jul 11, 2006, at 4:15 PM, hungvu2000@... wrote:

          > > === to unsubscribe, please send an email to
          > > kitesurf-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com ===
          > > Yahoo! Groups Links

        • Dean Crowell
          Message 4 of 12 , Jul 12, 2006
            Thanks Steve - Very helpful! Dean
            On Jul 12, 2006, at 2:04 AM, CCKiteboarder@... wrote:

            > If I was learning today I would buy a bow kite and avoid a 5th line.
            >
            > I currently use C kites and have 5th lines on all of them but not
            > primarily as an aid to relaunch. For me the advantage of a 5th
            > line is
            > Tea Bag Protection. If I kited where that was not an issue I would
            > fly my
            > Cs on 4 lines cuz I can get them relaunched.
            >
            > BTW lower aspect kites relaunch real easy - hard to keep them on the
            > water. so if you want C kites and relaunch is the issue just get low
            > aspect ratio kites.
            >
            > But if I was learning today and know what I know I'd buy one of the
            > flat
            > inflatables for sure. Not sure which one though.
            >

            > --
            > Steve
            > Carson City, Nevada, USA
            >
            > On Tue, 11 Jul 2006 15:08:04 -0700, Dean Crowell
            > <dean@...>
            > wrote:
            >
            >> As a new-comer to power kiting, do you suggest mastering a 4-line bar
            >> and not relying on the 5th line for relaunching? As a windsurfer of
            >> 23 years, I see many new products designed to make sailboarding
            >> easier, while fully learning some basics (water-starting, short-board
            >> balance, for example) is really the way to go in my opinion. Some of
            >> the guys I see shredding are on basic 4-line LEI's w/ no frills.
            >>
            >> Thanks, Dean
            >>
            >> On Jul 11, 2006, at 4:15 PM, hungvu2000@... wrote:
            >>

            >> If you are new to kitesurfing, please visit
            >> http://www.KitesurfingSchool.org/faqs.htm for the answers
            >> to the most frequently asked questions.
            >>
            >> === to unsubscribe, please send an email to
            >> kitesurf-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com ===
            >> Yahoo! Groups Links

            > === to unsubscribe, please send an email to kitesurf-
            > unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com ===
            > Yahoo! Groups Links

            Dean Crowell
            Asset Manager
            Artspace Projects, Inc.
            250 3rd Avenue North
            Suite 500
            Minneapolis, Minnesota 55401
            dean@...
            Direct Dial (612) 465-0232

          • CCKiteboarder@hotpop.com
            Message 5 of 12 , Jul 12, 2006
              Tea Bagging is what happens when the wind gets too high for the kite you
              are using after you go out.

              It is like lofting but out on the water. Your body is the tea bag and the
              wind gods are holding the little paper tab at the other end of the string
              dunking you as they please : )

              If the wind comes up a lot after you go out you may have little or no
              control for a while. With a regular C Kite you can only depower so much
              and still have the ability to relaunch later. A 5th line allows more
              depower - close to full. With my set up I can throw the bar, let the kite
              sit downwind for awhile and then when/if the wind drops off enough,
              relaunch and continue.

              This scenario happens enough here that I lke the option.

              --
              Steve
              Carson City, Nevada, USA

              Message 6 of 12 , Jul 13, 2006
                --- In kitesurf@yahoogroups.com, CCKiteboarder@... wrote:

                Thanks Steve. Good explanation. I apply the 5th line in the same way
                when the wind is too strong and gusty. But still i use the line for
                relaunching. Mostly when I do snowkiting.

                Yuri.