Re: [ksurf] Skill Question

  • hungvu2000@rogers.com
    Message 1 of 12 , Jul 11, 2006
      Personally I never like 5th line (too many lines) and never have to use
      it in the last 8 years.

      P.S. Line tangling is a factorial functions: 1 line = 1, 2 lines = 2, 3
      lines = 6, 4 lines = 24, 5 lines = 120 ways to tangle.

      Hung.

      Dean Crowell wrote:

      >As a new-comer to power kiting, do you suggest mastering a 4-line bar
      >and not relying on the 5th line for relaunching? As a windsurfer of
      >23 years, I see many new products designed to make sailboarding
      >easier, while fully learning some basics (water-starting, short-board
      >balance, for example) is really the way to go in my opinion. Some of
      >the guys I see shredding are on basic 4-line LEI's w/ no frills.
      >
      >Thanks, Dean

    • Lex Lissauer
      Message 2 of 12 , Jul 11, 2006
        This year: Yes, useful. Next year the whole "fast swimming towards the kite"
        will probably be a thing of the past. It is comparable to the rope start
        with windsurfing: With a small board it is an extreme balance exercise and
        nice if you can do it, but hardly useful.
        I would let it depend on the kites I was going to use.
        Also notice that the bigger the kites, the harder they relaunch, so I would
        recommend a fifth line for all sizes above 12m².

      • CCKiteboarder@hotpop.com
        Message 3 of 12 , Jul 12, 2006
          If I was learning today I would buy a bow kite and avoid a 5th line.

          I currently use C kites and have 5th lines on all of them but not
          primarily as an aid to relaunch. For me the advantage of a 5th line is
          Tea Bag Protection. If I kited where that was not an issue I would fly my
          Cs on 4 lines cuz I can get them relaunched.

          BTW lower aspect kites relaunch real easy - hard to keep them on the
          water. so if you want C kites and relaunch is the issue just get low
          aspect ratio kites.

          But if I was learning today and know what I know I'd buy one of the flat
          inflatables for sure. Not sure which one though.

          --
          Steve
          Carson City, Nevada, USA

          On Tue, 11 Jul 2006 15:08:04 -0700, Dean Crowell <dean@...>
          wrote:

          > As a new-comer to power kiting, do you suggest mastering a 4-line bar
          > and not relying on the 5th line for relaunching? As a windsurfer of
          > 23 years, I see many new products designed to make sailboarding
          > easier, while fully learning some basics (water-starting, short-board
          > balance, for example) is really the way to go in my opinion. Some of
          > the guys I see shredding are on basic 4-line LEI's w/ no frills.
          >
          > Thanks, Dean
          >
          > On Jul 11, 2006, at 4:15 PM, hungvu2000@... wrote:

          > Yahoo! Groups Links

        • Yuri
          Message 4 of 12 , Jul 12, 2006
            What do you mean speaking - the advantage of a 5th line is
            Tea Bag Protection?

            --- In kitesurf@yahoogroups.com, CCKiteboarder@... wrote:

            > If I was learning today I would buy a bow kite and avoid a 5th line.
            >
            > I currently use C kites and have 5th lines on all of them but not
            > primarily as an aid to relaunch. For me the advantage of a 5th
            line is
            > Tea Bag Protection. If I kited where that was not an issue I would
            fly my
            > Cs on 4 lines cuz I can get them relaunched.
            >
            > BTW lower aspect kites relaunch real easy - hard to keep them on
            the
            > water. so if you want C kites and relaunch is the issue just get
            low
            > aspect ratio kites.
            >
            > But if I was learning today and know what I know I'd buy one of the
            flat
            > inflatables for sure. Not sure which one though.
            >

            > --
            > Steve
            > Carson City, Nevada, USA
            >
            > On Tue, 11 Jul 2006 15:08:04 -0700, Dean Crowell <dean@...>
            > wrote:
            >
            > > As a new-comer to power kiting, do you suggest mastering a 4-line
            bar
            > > and not relying on the 5th line for relaunching? As a windsurfer
            of
            > > 23 years, I see many new products designed to make sailboarding
            > > easier, while fully learning some basics (water-starting, short-
            board
            > > balance, for example) is really the way to go in my opinion. Some
            of
            > > the guys I see shredding are on basic 4-line LEI's w/ no frills.
            > >
            > > Thanks, Dean
            > >
            > > On Jul 11, 2006, at 4:15 PM, hungvu2000@... wrote:

            > > === to unsubscribe, please send an email to
            > > kitesurf-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com ===
            > > Yahoo! Groups Links

          • Yuri
            Message 5 of 12 , Jul 12, 2006
              What do you mean speaking - the advantage of a 5th line is
              Tea Bag Protection?

              --- In kitesurf@yahoogroups.com, CCKiteboarder@... wrote:

              > If I was learning today I would buy a bow kite and avoid a 5th line.
              >
              > I currently use C kites and have 5th lines on all of them but not
              > primarily as an aid to relaunch. For me the advantage of a 5th
              line is
              > Tea Bag Protection. If I kited where that was not an issue I would
              fly my
              > Cs on 4 lines cuz I can get them relaunched.
              >
              > BTW lower aspect kites relaunch real easy - hard to keep them on
              the
              > water. so if you want C kites and relaunch is the issue just get
              low
              > aspect ratio kites.
              >
              > But if I was learning today and know what I know I'd buy one of the
              flat
              > inflatables for sure. Not sure which one though.
              >

              > --
              > Steve
              > Carson City, Nevada, USA
              >
              > On Tue, 11 Jul 2006 15:08:04 -0700, Dean Crowell <dean@...>
              > wrote:
              >
              > > As a new-comer to power kiting, do you suggest mastering a 4-line
              bar
              > > and not relying on the 5th line for relaunching? As a windsurfer
              of
              > > 23 years, I see many new products designed to make sailboarding
              > > easier, while fully learning some basics (water-starting, short-
              board
              > > balance, for example) is really the way to go in my opinion. Some
              of
              > > the guys I see shredding are on basic 4-line LEI's w/ no frills.
              > >
              > > Thanks, Dean
              > >
              > > On Jul 11, 2006, at 4:15 PM, hungvu2000@... wrote:

              > > === to unsubscribe, please send an email to
              > > kitesurf-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com ===
              > > Yahoo! Groups Links

            • Dean Crowell
              Message 6 of 12 , Jul 12, 2006
                Thanks Steve - Very helpful! Dean
                On Jul 12, 2006, at 2:04 AM, CCKiteboarder@... wrote:

                > If I was learning today I would buy a bow kite and avoid a 5th line.
                >
                > I currently use C kites and have 5th lines on all of them but not
                > primarily as an aid to relaunch. For me the advantage of a 5th
                > line is
                > Tea Bag Protection. If I kited where that was not an issue I would
                > fly my
                > Cs on 4 lines cuz I can get them relaunched.
                >
                > BTW lower aspect kites relaunch real easy - hard to keep them on the
                > water. so if you want C kites and relaunch is the issue just get low
                > aspect ratio kites.
                >
                > But if I was learning today and know what I know I'd buy one of the
                > flat
                > inflatables for sure. Not sure which one though.
                >

                > --
                > Steve
                > Carson City, Nevada, USA
                >
                > On Tue, 11 Jul 2006 15:08:04 -0700, Dean Crowell
                > <dean@...>
                > wrote:
                >
                >> As a new-comer to power kiting, do you suggest mastering a 4-line bar
                >> and not relying on the 5th line for relaunching? As a windsurfer of
                >> 23 years, I see many new products designed to make sailboarding
                >> easier, while fully learning some basics (water-starting, short-board
                >> balance, for example) is really the way to go in my opinion. Some of
                >> the guys I see shredding are on basic 4-line LEI's w/ no frills.
                >>
                >> Thanks, Dean
                >>
                >> On Jul 11, 2006, at 4:15 PM, hungvu2000@... wrote:
                >>

                >> If you are new to kitesurfing, please visit
                >> http://www.KitesurfingSchool.org/faqs.htm for the answers
                >> to the most frequently asked questions.
                >>
                >> === to unsubscribe, please send an email to
                >> kitesurf-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com ===
                >> Yahoo! Groups Links

                > === to unsubscribe, please send an email to kitesurf-
                > unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com ===
                > Yahoo! Groups Links

                Dean Crowell
                Asset Manager
                Artspace Projects, Inc.
                250 3rd Avenue North
                Suite 500
                Minneapolis, Minnesota 55401
                dean@...
                Direct Dial (612) 465-0232

              • CCKiteboarder@hotpop.com
                Message 7 of 12 , Jul 12, 2006
                  Tea Bagging is what happens when the wind gets too high for the kite you
                  are using after you go out.

                  It is like lofting but out on the water. Your body is the tea bag and the
                  wind gods are holding the little paper tab at the other end of the string
                  dunking you as they please : )

                  If the wind comes up a lot after you go out you may have little or no
                  control for a while. With a regular C Kite you can only depower so much
                  and still have the ability to relaunch later. A 5th line allows more
                  depower - close to full. With my set up I can throw the bar, let the kite
                  sit downwind for awhile and then when/if the wind drops off enough,
                  relaunch and continue.

                  This scenario happens enough here that I lke the option.

                  --
                  Steve
                  Carson City, Nevada, USA

                  Message 8 of 12 , Jul 13, 2006
                    --- In kitesurf@yahoogroups.com, CCKiteboarder@... wrote:

                    Thanks Steve. Good explanation. I apply the 5th line in the same way
                    when the wind is too strong and gusty. But still i use the line for
                    relaunching. Mostly when I do snowkiting.

                    Yuri.