Re: [ksurf] Skill Question

  • georgeiw@aol.com
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 11, 2006
      Get the 5th line. You can't get better if the kite is in the water. You will
      eventually learn to stop crashing the kite instead of getting great at
      relaunching. In the mean time to learn the fastest start with a big board and a
      relaunch system. YOu can add a 5th line to the back of regular 4 line kite.
      When you stop crashing or when there is a lot of wind and it is easy to
      relaunch, take off the line.
      With a big board you will be up and learning. with a small board you will
      look cool and you will be sitting in the water. I don't see how you can get
      better sitting in the water.

    • Gerry Duquette
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 12, 2006
        The Cabrina Crossbow I have is a good stater kite. Its lighter than the
        Ocean Rodeo One and will fly in lighter winds. It does re-launch really
        easily. Simply pull on one of the rear lines and that side will come off the
        water and it will relaunch. The amount of wind will determine how fast the
        relaunch is. If you are in lower wind conditions it will take a l ittle
        longer to get the kite in the air but I have never had any problems
        relaunching this kite.These kites also have excellent power control as well,
        which increases their wind range.

        From: CCKiteboarder@...
        To: kitesurf@yahoogroups.com
        Subject: Re: [ksurf] Skill Question
        Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2006 00:04:04 -0700
        If I was learning today I would buy a bow kite and avoid a 5th line.

        I currently use C kites and have 5th lines on all of them but not
        primarily as an aid to relaunch. For me the advantage of a 5th line is
        Tea Bag Protection. If I kited where that was not an issue I would fly my
        Cs on 4 lines cuz I can get them relaunched.

        BTW lower aspect kites relaunch real easy - hard to keep them on the
        water. so if you want C kites and relaunch is the issue just get low
        aspect ratio kites.

        But if I was learning today and know what I know I'd buy one of the flat
        inflatables for sure. Not sure which one though.

        --
        Steve
        Carson City, Nevada, USA

        On Tue, 11 Jul 2006 15:08:04 -0700, Dean Crowell <dean@...>
        wrote:

        >As a new-comer to power kiting, do you suggest mastering a 4-line bar
        >and not relying on the 5th line for relaunching? As a windsurfer of
        >23 years, I see many new products designed to make sailboarding
        >easier, while fully learning some basics (water-starting, short-board
        >balance, for example) is really the way to go in my opinion. Some of
        >the guys I see shredding are on basic 4-line LEI's w/ no frills.
        >
        >Thanks, Dean
        >
        >On Jul 11, 2006, at 4:15 PM, hungvu2000@... wrote:

        >=== to unsubscribe, please send an email to
        >kitesurf-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com ===
        >Yahoo! Groups Links

        to the most frequently asked questions.

        Yahoo! Groups Links
      • Dean Crowell
        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 12, 2006
          Good advice George - thank you. I think I'm all set w/ a 14M Boxer, a
          151CM board + I bought a 5th for snow kiting last winter. Now we just
          need a breeze here in Minnesota - Dean
          On Jul 11, 2006, at 5:22 PM, georgeiw@... wrote:

          > Get the 5th line. You can't get better if the kite is in the water.
          > You will
          > eventually learn to stop crashing the kite instead of getting great at
          > relaunching. In the mean time to learn the fastest start with a big
          > board and a
          > relaunch system. YOu can add a 5th line to the back of regular 4
          > line kite.
          > When you stop crashing or when there is a lot of wind and it is
          > easy to
          > relaunch, take off the line.
          > With a big board you will be up and learning. with a small board
          > you will
          > look cool and you will be sitting in the water. I don't see how you
          > can get
          > better sitting in the water.

          Dean Crowell
          Asset Manager
          Artspace Projects, Inc.
          250 3rd Avenue North
          Suite 500
          Minneapolis, Minnesota 55401
          dean@...
          Direct Dial (612) 465-0232

        • Scott Daily
          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 13, 2006
            Steve,

            Where do you kite around Carson City? I have to go up there for work in a
            few weeks ... thanks for any info.

            Best,

            Scott
            Message 5 of 5 , Jul 13, 2006
              Hi Scott:

              There is a shallow lake just East of Hwy 395 between Reno and Carson
              called Washoe Lake. It's nickname is Brown Mauii. It has been a popular
              go fast wind surfing lake for many years and a kiing location since 98.
              There are a few other places that are ok sometimes but none as reliable as
              Washoe. they are: Lk Lahontan, Lk Tahoe, Pyramid Lk, Boca Res and a few
              others.
              Let me know when you come and I'll help you get going, assuming you are
              bringing gear.

              Steve

              --
              Steve