Skill Question

  • Dean Crowell
    Message 1 of 12 , Jul 11, 2006
      As a new-comer to power kiting, do you suggest mastering a 4-line bar
      and not relying on the 5th line for relaunching? As a windsurfer of
      23 years, I see many new products designed to make sailboarding
      easier, while fully learning some basics (water-starting, short-board
      balance, for example) is really the way to go in my opinion. Some of
      the guys I see shredding are on basic 4-line LEI's w/ no frills.

      Thanks, Dean

    • hungvu2000@rogers.com
      Message 2 of 12 , Jul 11, 2006
        Personally I never like 5th line (too many lines) and never have to use
        it in the last 8 years.

        P.S. Line tangling is a factorial functions: 1 line = 1, 2 lines = 2, 3
        lines = 6, 4 lines = 24, 5 lines = 120 ways to tangle.

        Hung.

        Dean Crowell wrote:

        >As a new-comer to power kiting, do you suggest mastering a 4-line bar
        >and not relying on the 5th line for relaunching? As a windsurfer of
        >23 years, I see many new products designed to make sailboarding
        >easier, while fully learning some basics (water-starting, short-board
        >balance, for example) is really the way to go in my opinion. Some of
        >the guys I see shredding are on basic 4-line LEI's w/ no frills.
        >
        >Thanks, Dean

      • Lex Lissauer
        Message 3 of 12 , Jul 11, 2006
          This year: Yes, useful. Next year the whole "fast swimming towards the kite"
          will probably be a thing of the past. It is comparable to the rope start
          with windsurfing: With a small board it is an extreme balance exercise and
          nice if you can do it, but hardly useful.
          I would let it depend on the kites I was going to use.
          Also notice that the bigger the kites, the harder they relaunch, so I would
          recommend a fifth line for all sizes above 12m².

        • CCKiteboarder@hotpop.com
          Message 4 of 12 , Jul 12, 2006
            If I was learning today I would buy a bow kite and avoid a 5th line.

            I currently use C kites and have 5th lines on all of them but not
            primarily as an aid to relaunch. For me the advantage of a 5th line is
            Tea Bag Protection. If I kited where that was not an issue I would fly my
            Cs on 4 lines cuz I can get them relaunched.

            BTW lower aspect kites relaunch real easy - hard to keep them on the
            water. so if you want C kites and relaunch is the issue just get low
            aspect ratio kites.

            But if I was learning today and know what I know I'd buy one of the flat
            inflatables for sure. Not sure which one though.

            --
            Steve
            Carson City, Nevada, USA

            On Tue, 11 Jul 2006 15:08:04 -0700, Dean Crowell <dean@...>
            wrote:

            > As a new-comer to power kiting, do you suggest mastering a 4-line bar
            > and not relying on the 5th line for relaunching? As a windsurfer of
            > 23 years, I see many new products designed to make sailboarding
            > easier, while fully learning some basics (water-starting, short-board
            > balance, for example) is really the way to go in my opinion. Some of
            > the guys I see shredding are on basic 4-line LEI's w/ no frills.
            >
            > Thanks, Dean
            >
            > On Jul 11, 2006, at 4:15 PM, hungvu2000@... wrote:

            > Yahoo! Groups Links

          • Yuri
            Message 5 of 12 , Jul 12, 2006
              What do you mean speaking - the advantage of a 5th line is
              Tea Bag Protection?

              --- In kitesurf@yahoogroups.com, CCKiteboarder@... wrote:

              > If I was learning today I would buy a bow kite and avoid a 5th line.
              >
              > I currently use C kites and have 5th lines on all of them but not
              > primarily as an aid to relaunch. For me the advantage of a 5th
              line is
              > Tea Bag Protection. If I kited where that was not an issue I would
              fly my
              > Cs on 4 lines cuz I can get them relaunched.
              >
              > BTW lower aspect kites relaunch real easy - hard to keep them on
              the
              > water. so if you want C kites and relaunch is the issue just get
              low
              > aspect ratio kites.
              >
              > But if I was learning today and know what I know I'd buy one of the
              flat
              > inflatables for sure. Not sure which one though.
              >

              > --
              > Steve
              > Carson City, Nevada, USA
              >
              > On Tue, 11 Jul 2006 15:08:04 -0700, Dean Crowell <dean@...>
              > wrote:
              >
              > > As a new-comer to power kiting, do you suggest mastering a 4-line
              bar
              > > and not relying on the 5th line for relaunching? As a windsurfer
              of
              > > 23 years, I see many new products designed to make sailboarding
              > > easier, while fully learning some basics (water-starting, short-
              board
              > > balance, for example) is really the way to go in my opinion. Some
              of
              > > the guys I see shredding are on basic 4-line LEI's w/ no frills.
              > >
              > > Thanks, Dean
              > >
              > > On Jul 11, 2006, at 4:15 PM, hungvu2000@... wrote:

              > > === to unsubscribe, please send an email to
              > > kitesurf-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com ===
              > > Yahoo! Groups Links

            • Yuri
              Message 6 of 12 , Jul 12, 2006
                What do you mean speaking - the advantage of a 5th line is
                Tea Bag Protection?

                --- In kitesurf@yahoogroups.com, CCKiteboarder@... wrote:

                > If I was learning today I would buy a bow kite and avoid a 5th line.
                >
                > I currently use C kites and have 5th lines on all of them but not
                > primarily as an aid to relaunch. For me the advantage of a 5th
                line is
                > Tea Bag Protection. If I kited where that was not an issue I would
                fly my
                > Cs on 4 lines cuz I can get them relaunched.
                >
                > BTW lower aspect kites relaunch real easy - hard to keep them on
                the
                > water. so if you want C kites and relaunch is the issue just get
                low
                > aspect ratio kites.
                >
                > But if I was learning today and know what I know I'd buy one of the
                flat
                > inflatables for sure. Not sure which one though.
                >

                > --
                > Steve
                > Carson City, Nevada, USA
                >
                > On Tue, 11 Jul 2006 15:08:04 -0700, Dean Crowell <dean@...>
                > wrote:
                >
                > > As a new-comer to power kiting, do you suggest mastering a 4-line
                bar
                > > and not relying on the 5th line for relaunching? As a windsurfer
                of
                > > 23 years, I see many new products designed to make sailboarding
                > > easier, while fully learning some basics (water-starting, short-
                board
                > > balance, for example) is really the way to go in my opinion. Some
                of
                > > the guys I see shredding are on basic 4-line LEI's w/ no frills.
                > >
                > > Thanks, Dean
                > >
                > > On Jul 11, 2006, at 4:15 PM, hungvu2000@... wrote:

                > > === to unsubscribe, please send an email to
                > > kitesurf-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com ===
                > > Yahoo! Groups Links

              • Dean Crowell
                Message 7 of 12 , Jul 12, 2006
                  Thanks Steve - Very helpful! Dean
                  On Jul 12, 2006, at 2:04 AM, CCKiteboarder@... wrote:

                  > If I was learning today I would buy a bow kite and avoid a 5th line.
                  >
                  > I currently use C kites and have 5th lines on all of them but not
                  > primarily as an aid to relaunch. For me the advantage of a 5th
                  > line is
                  > Tea Bag Protection. If I kited where that was not an issue I would
                  > fly my
                  > Cs on 4 lines cuz I can get them relaunched.
                  >
                  > BTW lower aspect kites relaunch real easy - hard to keep them on the
                  > water. so if you want C kites and relaunch is the issue just get low
                  > aspect ratio kites.
                  >
                  > But if I was learning today and know what I know I'd buy one of the
                  > flat
                  > inflatables for sure. Not sure which one though.
                  >

                  > --
                  > Steve
                  > Carson City, Nevada, USA
                  >
                  > On Tue, 11 Jul 2006 15:08:04 -0700, Dean Crowell
                  > <dean@...>
                  > wrote:
                  >
                  >> As a new-comer to power kiting, do you suggest mastering a 4-line bar
                  >> and not relying on the 5th line for relaunching? As a windsurfer of
                  >> 23 years, I see many new products designed to make sailboarding
                  >> easier, while fully learning some basics (water-starting, short-board
                  >> balance, for example) is really the way to go in my opinion. Some of
                  >> the guys I see shredding are on basic 4-line LEI's w/ no frills.
                  >>
                  >> Thanks, Dean
                  >>
                  >> On Jul 11, 2006, at 4:15 PM, hungvu2000@... wrote:
                  >>

                  >> If you are new to kitesurfing, please visit
                  >> http://www.KitesurfingSchool.org/faqs.htm for the answers
                  >> to the most frequently asked questions.
                  >>
                  >> === to unsubscribe, please send an email to
                  >> kitesurf-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com ===
                  >> Yahoo! Groups Links

                  > === to unsubscribe, please send an email to kitesurf-
                  > unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com ===
                  > Yahoo! Groups Links

                  Dean Crowell
                  Asset Manager
                  Artspace Projects, Inc.
                  250 3rd Avenue North
                  Suite 500
                  Minneapolis, Minnesota 55401
                  dean@...
                  Direct Dial (612) 465-0232

                • CCKiteboarder@hotpop.com
                  Message 8 of 12 , Jul 12, 2006
                    Tea Bagging is what happens when the wind gets too high for the kite you
                    are using after you go out.

                    It is like lofting but out on the water. Your body is the tea bag and the
                    wind gods are holding the little paper tab at the other end of the string
                    dunking you as they please : )

                    If the wind comes up a lot after you go out you may have little or no
                    control for a while. With a regular C Kite you can only depower so much
                    and still have the ability to relaunch later. A 5th line allows more
                    depower - close to full. With my set up I can throw the bar, let the kite
                    sit downwind for awhile and then when/if the wind drops off enough,
                    relaunch and continue.

                    This scenario happens enough here that I lke the option.

                    --
                    Steve
                    Carson City, Nevada, USA

                    Message 9 of 12 , Jul 13, 2006
                      --- In kitesurf@yahoogroups.com, CCKiteboarder@... wrote:

                      Thanks Steve. Good explanation. I apply the 5th line in the same way
                      when the wind is too strong and gusty. But still i use the line for
                      relaunching. Mostly when I do snowkiting.

                      Yuri.