Self-land the flat kite alone

  • hungvu2000@rogers.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 9, 2006
      I have been showing the students this self-land the Waroo alone technique:

      1- Bring the kite to the edge of the wind window
      2- Let go of the bar, grab the center leader line and walk closer to
      the kite (or pull the kite closer to you)
      4- Pull 1 or 2 m of the upper front line and hold it

      The kite will fall face down to the ground in the same position as you
      normally put it on the ground. Once the kite is landed and stays
      securely on the ground, you may want rolling the 4 lines on to the bar
      until you reach the kite so you don't leave the lines dangling on the
      ground (last year I got major line abrassion on my legs due to stray
      kites and dangling lines on the ground)

      This can be done in very strong wind too.

      I haven't tried extensively but this method should work similarly with
      the One and other flat kites (any kite with a front bridle on the
      leading edge) just make sure you set up the stopper ball on the bar
      appropriately such that the kite will not collapse totally when you
      release the bar (no need to do so with the Waroo) and keep tumbling around.

      P.S., If you are in shallow water, walk upwind of the kite and then hold
      both front lines (chickenloop) evenly. Now you can start rolling the 2
      front lines a couple of rolls on the bar (or Turbo Launcher) before
      rolling the whole 4 lines in until you reach the kite (the kite should
      stay in the non-pulling position until you can grab the leading edge).
      I will try this more extensively so see if any problem or correction
      needed for this water landing scheme. With the flat kites and the Turbo
      Launcher, kiters can launch and land the kite alone in shallow water
      safely. This would eliminate all land-based accidents in such cases.

      Hung.

    • Benjamin
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 30, 2006
        Hello Hung,

        Thanks for your advice. A litle question. How can you land C-kites
        with just 4 lines. I have a CO2 with Recron 2. Is there any trick?

        Cheers,

        Benjamin

      • hungvu2000@rogers.com
        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 30, 2006
          You can use similar technique (pull couple meters on either the upper
          back or front line); however, it's harder and the kite may flip over
          once or twice before setlling down.

          Hung.