Polynesians as Pioneer Kiteboaters

  • John Foster
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 5, 2006
      From the pro-file@yahoogroups list here are 3 messages very much of
      kite interest:

      2a. Polynesians as Pioneer Kiteboaters
      Posted by: "john h wright" jhargrovewright2@... jhargrovewright2
      Date: Tue Jul 4, 2006 10:29 am (PDT)

      I don't recall any discussion relating to this subject on this forum and
      was somewhat surprised to find it on page 8 @

      http://www.drachen.org/journals/journal19/journal19.pdf which is a pdf
      on the following Kite Site.

      http://www.drachen.org/about_kites_sports.html

      I have thought for a while that the Polynesians realized, as I have, that
      the CC sail can be easily used for stabilizing or "righting" as well as
      lift and forward motion. The manipulation of the sail during shunting
      and just sailing would show them that potential and being a clever
      inventive people surely used that quality when needed.

      Try to put yourself into those shoes. A Navigator (the most important
      person) having the responsibility for the Voyaging Canoe (most important
      material resource of the community) sailing off to a distant island on an
      essential mission. This Navigator dedicated his entire life and most of
      his daily thoughts to his occupation. He was a professional in every
      sense of the word. The life of the community and each person in it,
      including his, likely depended on his success. He was immersed in the
      every detail and function of each function and part of the boat. He must
      know more than we can ever hope to know of the boat like his own fingers,
      arms, and toes about this Proa. He must "grok" it. To grok something
      is to understand something so well that it is fully absorbed into
      oneself.. from... Robert Heinlein's science-fiction novel of 1961,
      Stranger in a Strange Land

      JohnC

      Messages in this topic (3)

      2b. Re: Polynesians as Pioneer Kiteboaters
      Posted by: "Dave Culp" dave@... dave_culp
      Date: Tue Jul 4, 2006 11:03 am (PDT)

      It is probable that the first kite fishing occurred in the Pacific
      Islands, as long as 7000 years ago (several millenia before kiting was
      introduced to China). These kites were probably first; single large
      leaves flown on fishing line (which was a necessary predate); later
      they certainly fished using kites constructed of multiple leaves woven
      together. "Hooks" were (and still are) wads of spider web tied to the
      end of the line, in which the fish entangle their teeth--no metal.

      It is not physically possible to use a kite for fishing, from a canoe
      and NOT experience kite sailing, so it is not a long jump to suppose
      that early kite fishermen learned to use their kites to power their
      canoes. Several of the early modern kite boaters--and all modern
      kitesurfers--quickly learned that proa-type, shunting hull forms are
      best suited to kite power. As the Drachen article indicates, very
      large kites were eventually used for kite boating in the Pacific--and
      were written about in the western press as early as 1915.

      There will be at least one presentation on early Pacific kite
      boating--and much discussion, I expect--at Drachen's September 28-30
      Kite Sailing Symposium, in Seattle:
      http://www.drachen.org/special_events_kite_sailing_symposium.html

      If you can be there and are interested in the subject; it ought to be
      a good event.

      Dave

      2c. Re: Polynesians as Pioneer Kiteboaters
      Posted by: "john h wright" jhargrovewright2@... jhargrovewright2
      Date: Tue Jul 4, 2006 2:23 pm (PDT)

      Please note that our own Dave Culp is listed as an "Expert on Kite
      Development" at this symposium Sept. 28-30 and I quote:
      "The Drachen Foundation and The Center for Wooden Boats of Seattle, WA
      will hold an open-to-the-public symposium in Seattle to exchange ideas
      about the current state of the art of kite sailing. Among those now
      confirmed are experts Peter Lynn of New Zealand and Dave Culp and Don
      Montague of Hawaii, USA, who will discuss their personal contributions to
      the sport--from Peter Lynn's development of the Kite Cat® (a personal
      kite sailboat), to Culp's Outleader ® kite sail for use on competitive
      sail boats, to Montague's use of kite sails for adventure-sailing in the
      Hawaiian islands. Discussions will focus on lessons learned, safety and
      functionality, and current trends."

      IF you are interested may I also point you to a web site that describes
      "state of the art" for sail boats and especially look at "Aerospace and R
      & D" at http://www.kiteship.com/index.php . which includes space travel
      with sails!

      Dave is also part of that leading edge enterprise.

      Seattle is only 2,413.31 miles from Bastrop Texas.

      JohnC
    • hungvuatnetcomdotca
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 7, 2006
        This is a very interesting document and it also has lots of info on
        the Maui kiting scene with a good photo of Mike Waltze (I have never
        seen him this old ;-(

        It even discussed about Cory Roeseler but for some reason the author
        doesn't know that Cory's kite can be relaunched from the water too.
        It is actually the most dependable water relaunching scheme I have
        ever played with.

        Inflatable kites dominate the market but not many people knows that
        other types of kites can be water-relaunched dependably too.

        P.S., The articles also has some direct quote from the Kitesurfing
        School web site and reference to http://kitesurfingschool.org

        Hung.