Light wind kiting

  • Lex Lissauer
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 4, 2006
      My idea about light wind kiting has drastically changed.
      I challenge everyone with a big (18 m²+) kite and a small board to compete
      against me with a 13m² and a big board in, say, 7-10 knots wind.
      Important is to have a FAST kite, because size can never compete with sining
      for generating speed to get planing. And a big board doesn't mean a floaty,
      voluminous directional. Nowadays it means a WIDE board. That is 40 cm (15.75")
      or more. A length of 135 cm (4'5") will be sufficient then.

    • Alessandro Ghezzi
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 5, 2006
        I vompletely agree with Lex Lissauer
        My weight is 65kg and I ride with slinghshot 06 15mq (very fast) and my board is North Dragon 134x42cm in costant 9-11 knots winds. I go often like people with bow kites or foils.
        bye,
        Ale.

        Lex Lissauer <lex.lissauer@...> wrote:
        New Message Search
        Find the message you want faster. Visit y
        My idea about light wind kiting has drastically changed.
        I challenge everyone with a big (18 m²+) kite and a small board to compete
        against me with a 13m² and a big board in, say, 7-10 knots wind.
        Important is to have a FAST kite, because size can never compete with sining
        for generating speed to get planing. And a big board doesn't mean a floaty,
        voluminous directional. Nowadays it means a WIDE board. That is 40 cm (15.75")
        or more. A length of 135 cm (4'5") will be sufficient then.

      • hungvuatnetcomdotca
        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 6, 2006
          Big or wide board is definitely one of the requirement in light wind.

          I used to ride the legendary FOne 230, the Litewave 169 in light wind
          and now-a-day I used our school board, the Best 140 (I think it is 45 to
          47 cm wide!)

          Light wind, similar to very strong wind (over 30 knots) is an "extreme
          condition" and one needs appropriate equipment for it.

          Hung.

          --- In kitesurf@yahoogroups.com, Alessandro Ghezzi <ale_ghezzi@...>