Re: [ksurf] Storm kites

  • georgeiw@aol.com
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 4, 2006
      Hung,
      I also have the icarex xxxl. plus 3 of the original f-one kites but it is
      flysurfer,and boom that brought the incredible depower to the flat foil that
      inspired the flat bow kite. You can tilt a flat kite a lot more than a C shape
      and still have it fly. The flysurfer depower lets you actually tilt the
      back of the kite up. when you push the bar out the C bridle goes to a certain
      point and stops. As you push the bar even further the d bridle or brake bridle
      goes further and the back edge of the kite goes up to make a streamer. I
      have flown a 15.5 flysurfer in 25 knots in this depowered mode.
      Somewhere Bruno described that this was the inspiration for the bows, not
      necessarily flysurfer or seasmik or boom but the flat shape.

      For turning speed, which means more power with less kite there is a little
      known foil called JoJo that generates a ton of power by using a pulley system.

      Clearly there is room for more development from the infatos, the foils and
      the arcs,
      Inflatos, easiest to use, easiest to break,
      Foils best in snow, no leaky bladders but you can tangle the bridles, They
      have the reputation of not relaunching but nothing relaunches, or water
      launches as easy as a flysurfer.
      Arcs, simple, very light weight for travel, no bladders, no bridles,
      Incredible gust absorption.
      Bow, all of the advantages of the Cs and now lots of depower to zero so very
      safe.

      There is room for many and I hope that they all stay in business and keep us
      all challenged.

    • Canadian Wind Rider Inc. - Grant Fitz
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 7, 2006
        Kurties, what kite were you riding on and in what winds and surface conditions?

        regards, grant

      • Canadian Wind Rider Inc. - Grant Fitz
        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 7, 2006
          Kurtis, I've been on the C-series and Quadrifoils since 1994 and although it took a while to switch to the ARCs, you outta try a Venom-II 13 in the winter on skiis. A real jet engine!