Re: [ksurf] Storm kites

  • hungvu2000@rogers.com
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 3 5:29 PM
      George and Kurtis,

      I have a whole bunch of old style skis but they are breaking apart or
      not suitable for high speed anymore (too much vibration).

      I flew foils in the past and still like them but the depowering system
      in foil is either not enough or not as instantaneous as in flat LEI.

      There was a big battle between foil and LEI in the early days of
      kitesurfing and the old AR5 more or less "conquered" the foil camp. Now
      the flat LEI...

      Besides the trainer kite foils, the only foil I still have and use
      occasionally in light wind is the legendary XXXL made of Icarex. They
      should make a XXXXXL version of it for heavier kiters in light wind.

      Hung.

    • georgeiw@aol.com
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 4 9:29 AM
        Hung,
        I also have the icarex xxxl. plus 3 of the original f-one kites but it is
        flysurfer,and boom that brought the incredible depower to the flat foil that
        inspired the flat bow kite. You can tilt a flat kite a lot more than a C shape
        and still have it fly. The flysurfer depower lets you actually tilt the
        back of the kite up. when you push the bar out the C bridle goes to a certain
        point and stops. As you push the bar even further the d bridle or brake bridle
        goes further and the back edge of the kite goes up to make a streamer. I
        have flown a 15.5 flysurfer in 25 knots in this depowered mode.
        Somewhere Bruno described that this was the inspiration for the bows, not
        necessarily flysurfer or seasmik or boom but the flat shape.

        For turning speed, which means more power with less kite there is a little
        known foil called JoJo that generates a ton of power by using a pulley system.

        Clearly there is room for more development from the infatos, the foils and
        the arcs,
        Inflatos, easiest to use, easiest to break,
        Foils best in snow, no leaky bladders but you can tangle the bridles, They
        have the reputation of not relaunching but nothing relaunches, or water
        launches as easy as a flysurfer.
        Arcs, simple, very light weight for travel, no bladders, no bridles,
        Incredible gust absorption.
        Bow, all of the advantages of the Cs and now lots of depower to zero so very
        safe.

        There is room for many and I hope that they all stay in business and keep us
        all challenged.

      • Canadian Wind Rider Inc. - Grant Fitz
        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 7 3:26 AM
          Kurties, what kite were you riding on and in what winds and surface conditions?

          regards, grant

        • Canadian Wind Rider Inc. - Grant Fitz
          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 7 3:30 AM
            Kurtis, I've been on the C-series and Quadrifoils since 1994 and although it took a while to switch to the ARCs, you outta try a Venom-II 13 in the winter on skiis. A real jet engine!