Re: [ksurf] Storm kites

  • georgeiw@aol.com
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 3, 2006
      Hung Vu,
      for the old style skiis just ask your neighbors or look in the trash barrels
      in the Spring and fall. Everyone is throwing out their old straight skiis
      which are perfect for going fast in the snow. Your are not too heavy so you
      could use a bigger person's skiis. Most people see no use for these skiis.
      Just ask.

      Don't discount the flysurfer speed for going very fast on skiis. See their
      website flysurfer.de for a good video and also Rachel Miller's web site,
      stormboarding where she tracks the fastest on skiis every winter.

      I just flew a switchblade 12 yesterday for the first time. The flat depower
      bridle is a descendant of what flysurfer has done to depower flat foils but
      the TURNING SPEED is more descendant of pulley bars like the JOJO Rage and
      others. What a quick kite!
      Good luck in the "Quest for Speed under Sail"
      George

    • hungvu2000@rogers.com
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 3, 2006
        George and Kurtis,

        I have a whole bunch of old style skis but they are breaking apart or
        not suitable for high speed anymore (too much vibration).

        I flew foils in the past and still like them but the depowering system
        in foil is either not enough or not as instantaneous as in flat LEI.

        There was a big battle between foil and LEI in the early days of
        kitesurfing and the old AR5 more or less "conquered" the foil camp. Now
        the flat LEI...

        Besides the trainer kite foils, the only foil I still have and use
        occasionally in light wind is the legendary XXXL made of Icarex. They
        should make a XXXXXL version of it for heavier kiters in light wind.

        Hung.

      • georgeiw@aol.com
        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 4, 2006
          Hung,
          I also have the icarex xxxl. plus 3 of the original f-one kites but it is
          flysurfer,and boom that brought the incredible depower to the flat foil that
          inspired the flat bow kite. You can tilt a flat kite a lot more than a C shape
          and still have it fly. The flysurfer depower lets you actually tilt the
          back of the kite up. when you push the bar out the C bridle goes to a certain
          point and stops. As you push the bar even further the d bridle or brake bridle
          goes further and the back edge of the kite goes up to make a streamer. I
          have flown a 15.5 flysurfer in 25 knots in this depowered mode.
          Somewhere Bruno described that this was the inspiration for the bows, not
          necessarily flysurfer or seasmik or boom but the flat shape.

          For turning speed, which means more power with less kite there is a little
          known foil called JoJo that generates a ton of power by using a pulley system.

          Clearly there is room for more development from the infatos, the foils and
          the arcs,
          Inflatos, easiest to use, easiest to break,
          Foils best in snow, no leaky bladders but you can tangle the bridles, They
          have the reputation of not relaunching but nothing relaunches, or water
          launches as easy as a flysurfer.
          Arcs, simple, very light weight for travel, no bladders, no bridles,
          Incredible gust absorption.
          Bow, all of the advantages of the Cs and now lots of depower to zero so very
          safe.

          There is room for many and I hope that they all stay in business and keep us
          all challenged.

        • Canadian Wind Rider Inc. - Grant Fitz
          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 7, 2006
            Kurties, what kite were you riding on and in what winds and surface conditions?

            regards, grant

          • Canadian Wind Rider Inc. - Grant Fitz
            Message 5 of 7 , Jul 7, 2006
              Kurtis, I've been on the C-series and Quadrifoils since 1994 and although it took a while to switch to the ARCs, you outta try a Venom-II 13 in the winter on skiis. A real jet engine!