Storm kites

  • hungvu2000@rogers.com
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 3, 2006
      The Waroo 5m is an amazing storm kite.

      I would rate it for 30+ knots to 50+ knots

      It's pretty twitchy but very manageable and can get high attitude during
      jumps (the Grunt 5m is more stable but can't compare when it comes to
      altitude) if you just let it go up before turning it forward for landing.

      Another school instructor and I used it yesterday after the lessons and felt very comfortable with it even during the 49.1 knots gust.

      P.S., I would love to try out how fast I can go with the 3m Waroo and a
      pair of good downhill racing skis in a stormy winter day. Where can you
      buy a good pair of classic downhill racing skis these days?

      P.P.P.S., Assuming that one can go 1.1 times as fast as the wind on flat
      water and 1.5 times on snow, would it mean that we can clock 55 knots on
      flat water and 75 knots on snow in 50 knots wind? So far, I don't feel
      the 5m nor the 3m Waroo has reached its speed limitation yet (I have
      seen the Wipika Classic 3.5m and the Grunt 5m speed limitations).

      Hung.
    • georgeiw@aol.com
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 3, 2006
        Hung Vu,
        for the old style skiis just ask your neighbors or look in the trash barrels
        in the Spring and fall. Everyone is throwing out their old straight skiis
        which are perfect for going fast in the snow. Your are not too heavy so you
        could use a bigger person's skiis. Most people see no use for these skiis.
        Just ask.

        Don't discount the flysurfer speed for going very fast on skiis. See their
        website flysurfer.de for a good video and also Rachel Miller's web site,
        stormboarding where she tracks the fastest on skiis every winter.

        I just flew a switchblade 12 yesterday for the first time. The flat depower
        bridle is a descendant of what flysurfer has done to depower flat foils but
        the TURNING SPEED is more descendant of pulley bars like the JOJO Rage and
        others. What a quick kite!
        Good luck in the "Quest for Speed under Sail"
        George

      • Kurtis Nelson
        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 3, 2006
          I've got a pair of Blizzard Downhill 223cm that I'd be
          willing to part with. They're in great condition.
          I've gone 78 mph so I know they're good for that
          speed.

          Kurtis

        • hungvu2000@rogers.com
          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 3, 2006
            George and Kurtis,

            I have a whole bunch of old style skis but they are breaking apart or
            not suitable for high speed anymore (too much vibration).

            I flew foils in the past and still like them but the depowering system
            in foil is either not enough or not as instantaneous as in flat LEI.

            There was a big battle between foil and LEI in the early days of
            kitesurfing and the old AR5 more or less "conquered" the foil camp. Now
            the flat LEI...

            Besides the trainer kite foils, the only foil I still have and use
            occasionally in light wind is the legendary XXXL made of Icarex. They
            should make a XXXXXL version of it for heavier kiters in light wind.

            Hung.

          • georgeiw@aol.com
            Message 5 of 7 , Jul 4, 2006
              Hung,
              I also have the icarex xxxl. plus 3 of the original f-one kites but it is
              flysurfer,and boom that brought the incredible depower to the flat foil that
              inspired the flat bow kite. You can tilt a flat kite a lot more than a C shape
              and still have it fly. The flysurfer depower lets you actually tilt the
              back of the kite up. when you push the bar out the C bridle goes to a certain
              point and stops. As you push the bar even further the d bridle or brake bridle
              goes further and the back edge of the kite goes up to make a streamer. I
              have flown a 15.5 flysurfer in 25 knots in this depowered mode.
              Somewhere Bruno described that this was the inspiration for the bows, not
              necessarily flysurfer or seasmik or boom but the flat shape.

              For turning speed, which means more power with less kite there is a little
              known foil called JoJo that generates a ton of power by using a pulley system.

              Clearly there is room for more development from the infatos, the foils and
              the arcs,
              Inflatos, easiest to use, easiest to break,
              Foils best in snow, no leaky bladders but you can tangle the bridles, They
              have the reputation of not relaunching but nothing relaunches, or water
              launches as easy as a flysurfer.
              Arcs, simple, very light weight for travel, no bladders, no bridles,
              Incredible gust absorption.
              Bow, all of the advantages of the Cs and now lots of depower to zero so very
              safe.

              There is room for many and I hope that they all stay in business and keep us
              all challenged.

            • Canadian Wind Rider Inc. - Grant Fitz
              Message 6 of 7 , Jul 7, 2006
                Kurties, what kite were you riding on and in what winds and surface conditions?

                regards, grant

              • Canadian Wind Rider Inc. - Grant Fitz
                Message 7 of 7 , Jul 7, 2006
                  Kurtis, I've been on the C-series and Quadrifoils since 1994 and although it took a while to switch to the ARCs, you outta try a Venom-II 13 in the winter on skiis. A real jet engine!